IGNORED

Why Is Everything Undisclosed?

shaner89

So if you want a player after you just got money the selling club don't know how much you have to spend, so say we now wanted a player from another team, then that team wouldn't know how much we have to spend to force us into paying more

So if you want a player after you just got money the selling club don't know how much you have to spend, so say we now wanted a player from another team, then that team wouldn't know how much we have to spend to force us into paying more

Exactly - It's hardly rocket science!

We all (usually) know the ball park figure that players move for, but there is no need for it to be made public knowledge. If the club think it is a fair fee, then what does it matter how much the amount is..?

Exactly - It's hardly rocket science!

We all (usually) know the ball park figure that players move for, but there is no need for it to be made public knowledge. If the club think it is a fair fee, then what does it matter how much the amount is..?

Thanks for your replies, I guess I really should have thought more about the benefits either way before asking. At least that's cleared it up for me now!

These days i think most clubs try to stick to the undisclosed but the media quotes are usually in the right region as i'm sure its impossible for all clubs to stop leaks.

With the prem its less of an issue due to the amount of money floating about, that and a lot of clubs are floated on the stock market (at least somewhere in the world) and so have to declare it i think.

Actually you are all wrong, undisclosed is used, when it's not an agreed set amount so it can't be disclosed.

I,e If I offer 800k Up front, followed by 200k if promoted and then 100k after 30 goals and 20% profit of next sale.

Well the papers would like to report it as 800K plus add on's but the term used between the FA and Club is undisclosed, because the fee is not finalised.

Also it will be in the contract, that the amount is not disclosed so that the purchasing club, can offer a signing on fee to the player (if offering greater terms of contract than previously on) which isn't the standard 10% of the fee, On amounts above 1m this is not uncommon as they may only give the player a 3-5% signing on fee although legally entitled to the 10%, normally the remainder of that 10% is paid to the agent, so to make sure the player doesn't know this it is agreed the deal is undisclosed in the contract to protect all parties.

I know this from being an agent.

P'boro's fees are always undisclosed. A few Directors found out and told the local paper. It's in Barry Fry's contract that he gets 10% of the fee for every player they sell. For incoming players they don't want others to know how much cash they've got.

Actually you are all wrong, undisclosed is used, when it's not an agreed set amount so it can't be disclosed.

I,e If I offer 800k Up front, followed by 200k if promoted and then 100k after 30 goals and 20% profit of next sale.

Well the papers would like to report it as 800K plus add on's but the term used between the FA and Club is undisclosed, because the fee is not finalised.

Also it will be in the contract, that the amount is not disclosed so that the purchasing club, can offer a signing on fee to the player (if offering greater terms of contract than previously on) which isn't the standard 10% of the fee, On amounts above 1m this is not uncommon as they may only give the player a 3-5% signing on fee although legally entitled to the 10%, normally the remainder of that 10% is paid to the agent, so to make sure the player doesn't know this it is agreed the deal is undisclosed in the contract to protect all parties.

Very Interesting - Looks like we are forever putting clauses in contracts with sell on fees etc if that's the case because I can't remember the last time we disclosed a fee. (actually probably Adomah having been set by tribunal - 150k)

That's really interesting. Did you have any decent clients?

You must read some people's comments on here and get very frustrated with all the carp that gets posted!

No , Don't look after anyone good I'm afraid but have represented around 300 under 16s in the last 2 years. 12 of which are still playing football at a reasonable level.

What I do is scout schools to represent kids who have talent and try and get them into an academy and so on, so I am effectively paid by 3/4 clubs to find them the best kids I can, then I hold their papers as agent, I basically try to then get them to move from a lower league club to a Prem or Championship Club so I can make a good earner out of them before they are 16/17 knowing that 95% of 18yo's will get released and go on to do nothing. By then I've made my money out of them so don't really care if they make it or not.

On average I will make somewhere between £1500/£2000 getting a player into a Prem club by 17, £800/£1000 a Championship, Around £500 League One, and £250 League Two,

I often then, form a link with a more established agent who I will then sell the rights to represent my player if they are worth having, If this is a Championship / Premier League player they will probably pay in the region of £1000, but I have to get my player to commit to that agent for at least 3 years.

If any of the players I have are in league one or two it really isn't worth wasting your time trying to find them a club if they get released or an agent, so effectively you just wish them well. I have interest in representing them when they are looking for a pro contract as you won't make money out of them and the reality is, you don't actually care about their careers, you just want to make as much money from them as quick as you can.

I'll get a club for at least 100/200 youngsters a year, of which maybe 30 of these will get a scholarship or a 2nd year and earn me the chance of selling them to another agent and making money. Of that 30, only 10-15 might get a pro contract worth any money.

I did take a kid from Newport 2 years ago, who was very good and got him in with Sheffield Wednesday and they offered him a 2 year deal , he was 14. However Man City heard he was good and might go far, so I was asked to try and get him to not sign a deal and it would be in my interests to get him to sign for Man City. The kid told Sheffield Wednesday he was going to sign for them but was going on 2 weeks holiday so would sign on his return, he never went on holiday but in this time I got him trials at Man City and a 4 year deal and a seriously good earner myself.

Sheffield Wednesday were fuming and I've not dealt with them again as they knew if he signed for them, Man City would have been able to buy him off Sheff and they would have got 80/90K for him, and I would have been entitled to 5% of that. but I made a lot more getting him in at Man City I can tell you that ! He is now impressing in their academy squad, and I've sold him to another agent to handle for 5k, he's the first kid I've looked after and placed that has England U-17 caps. He was a good earner, my best.

People post a lot of bad stuff about agents, but none of us care, we're out to make good money and quickly. Yes I'm sure some love their players and want whats best for them, but you're living in fantasy land if you think there's Jerry Maguire's out there. Put it like this as the agent, you tell the player who to sign for and it's very simple, it's whatever club will offer you the most money. I've seen a lad sign a deal on £3000 a week at a Championship side, yet 5 or 6 Premiership sides wanted him at 10k a week, but the Championship side offered the agent 50k for getting the kids signature. The kid never knew about the Prem sides, 50k is 50k.

Archived