IGNORED

When We Get This New Striker...

spudski

... that is similar to Sam Baldock ( apparently this is what SoD wants )... do people think we will be looking at a player that is equal ability to Sam, or ahead of?

Will we be able to attract a Striker like Sam who is seen as better quality?

Alternatively...What sort of Striker can we attract who will be happy to sit on the bench and play second fiddle to Sam?

I personally can't see SoD playing with 2 strikers in the 'Baldock' mold.

I can't see JET eing dropped either.

Any thoughts fellow City fans?

• Admin

If one exists I would love a striker in the mould of Wynter or Williams. That is to say a 19 or 20 year old at a respected Premier Academy, whose club wants to keep him but he prefers the idea of dropping a couple of levels to start experiencing men's football.

During the Bradford game, just before we brought on Taylor I thought we were crying out for a striker similar to Baldock. Someone to stretch their defence.

Given Baldock has the captaincy, i'd guess that any new striker would be behind Baldock in the pecking order. SOD has experimented with 3-5-2 in pre-season, thats how we can accomdate JET.

If one exists I would love a striker in the mould of Wynter or Williams. That is to say a 19 or 20 year old at a respected Premier Academy, whose club wants to keep him but he prefers the idea of dropping a couple of levels to start experiencing men's football.

I agree with Ian, I think this would be the kind of striker were after. Someone young and hungry who not only wants a first team spot but is willing to work for it and learn from Sammy

During the Bradford game, just before we brought on Taylor I thought we were crying out for a striker similar to Baldock. Someone to stretch their defence.

Given Baldock has the captaincy, i'd guess that any new striker would be behind Baldock in the pecking order. SOD has experimented with 3-5-2 in pre-season, thats how we can accomdate JET.

Or we could go 4-1-3-2 although that would leave a lot of CMs unhappy

---------------------------Fielding

Maloney --------Flint--------------Williams*-------Cunningham

---------------------------Wynter*

Wagstaff------------------JET-------------------------Byran

--------------------New ST------Baldock

*1 could be him or Fontaine

*2 would leave - Pack, Elliott, Kilkenny, Reid and Kelly unhappy

Or 4-3-1-2 like this - (Full backs providing width. Wagstaff and Bryan could slot in in midfield I reckon - neither are really wingers)

Fielding

Moloney Flint Fontaine Cunningham

Wynter Pack Kilkenny

JET

Baldock Striker

--------------------------------Fielding-------------------------------

Moloney ------------Flint----------Fontaine-------Cunningham

-------------------------------Pack------------------------------------

------------------Wynter------------Kilkenny-----------------------

--------------------------------JET---------------------------------------

----------------------New ST------Baldock--------------------------

Push JET forward in support of Sam, and bring Pack in centre mid. New striker option from bench to replace JET / Sam if we need to change things.

That looks like my city career mode:

(4-1-3-1-1)

Fielding

Maloney Flint Fontaine Cunningham

Wynter

Kelly Pack Wagstaff

JET

Baldock.

Could swap pack and jet and have the new striker in jet's position.

(that was the team for my first match)

It is now:

Fielding

Maloney Flint Fonts Cunni

Wynter

Kelly JET Wagstaff

Wells (bradford)

Baldock

p.s I thought Bryan was only a replacement for Kelly's injury?

I disagree with all of those above.

Although it looks on paper at the moment that we are playing with one lone striker... it isn't actually like that.

Yes... Baldock has been sitting highest, but he has been well supported from his midfield and JET.

I can't see Sod playing with any less than 4 recognised midfielders... JET and plus 1 up front.

The fullbacks are being used well as overlapping wide players, leaving the likes of wafstaff, Wynter and Bryan to attack the box.

I disagree with all of those above.

Although it looks on paper at the moment that we are playing with one lone striker... it isn't actually like that.

Yes... Baldock has been sitting highest, but he has been well supported from his midfield and JET.

I can't see Sod playing with any less than 4 recognised midfielders... JET and plus 1 up front.

The fullbacks are being used well as overlapping wide players, leaving the likes of wafstaff, Wynter and Bryan to attack the box.

Agreed. Also the player we get in will be a young striker mate.

I'd assume/hope it'll be a young prospect who can stake a claim as the season goes on. I think SO'D trusts Baldock and I don't think we need to someone to eclipse him.

We'll need options and to change tacts during the season so it'd be good to get someone who can play with Baldock if needed but I would agree Baldock up-front with JET just behind'll be plan A.

Should Baldock still be here when the window closes then we are after back up, a young striker or someone with little league experience, I think

Spudski is right, a 4-4-1-1 with JET behind Baldock is the way we are going to go and any new player will compete with (or understudy) Sam, not partner him.

No offence but that side would get battered. Particularly in League 1. The chances of SO'D choosing not to play any of Pack, Kilkenny and Elliott are nil.

Still, what do I know? I've never owned or played a computer Football Manager game so my ideas are based on the reality of what I see with my own eyes.

Although JET plays deeper he is effectively our 2nd striker.

I cant see us starting any games with JET on the field plus 2 strikers.

I think we will persist with he 4411

A young hungry striker to cover/challenge Baldock would make perfect sense. The guy would get minutes off the bench and as Sam picks up a few knocks so he would prob get a few starts also. Should be enough gametime to entice a frustrated prem youngster on perm or on loan.

Id also be interested in seeing Reid get doing the same job to cover JET

Can't see us investing money gained for Davies and Adomah - chance for Wes Burns to step up but do feel we need some loanees in for cover.

Need a loan goalie - or cheap 3rd choice in case Fielding or Parish get injured.

Then a mix of outfielders for cover.

In an ideal world I'd love to see Billy Sharp in a City kit but can't see it

... that is similar to Sam Baldock ( apparently this is what SoD wants )... do people think we will be looking at a player that is equal ability to Sam, or ahead of?

Will we be able to attract a Striker like Sam who is seen as better quality?

Alternatively...What sort of Striker can we attract who will be happy to sit on the bench and play second fiddle to Sam?

I personally can't see SoD playing with 2 strikers in the 'Baldock' mold.

I can't see JET eing dropped either.

Any thoughts fellow City fans?..whomever he is he will be youngish,hungry and with bags of potential same as a few whom have recently joined us.possibly a young un from the prem,season long loan with an eye to a possible permanent signing..

Can't see us investing money gained for Davies and Adomah - chance for Wes Burns to step up but do feel we need some loanees in for cover.

Need a loan goalie - or cheap 3rd choice in case Fielding or Parish get injured.

Then a mix of outfielders for cover.

In an ideal world I'd love to see Billy Sharp in a City kit but can't see it

I couldn't see a bigger waste of money than getting a third keeper, I'd rather just put Castenhiera on the bench if fielding is injured.

I think the idea that we'll have a rigid formation this season is silly. SOD will change depending on what is best suited to the opposition. If that means playing wide men or two up front then so be it. Whilst the "Clubs in the bag" mantra cannot ever be a fruitful transfer policy, having several options formation and personnel wise is of paramount importance.

Archived