IGNORED

Favourite City Players

I've never heard of half of these names as I'm probably youngest member (14) the latest names I remember are

Wilkshire

Tinnion

Woodman

Phillips

Gillespie

Lita

Peacock

Roberts

Good fellow

Mickey bell

Matt hill

Etc

You must have heard of Gerry Gow , Glyn Riley , Geoff Merrick, Bob Taylor. Surely?

Legends all.

When I was little lad I used to idolise Keith Fear: not much bigger than me then, with that 70s 'Robin Askwith' style hair, but always willing to have a pop in front of goal and worthy of cannonisation for his chipped goal v Leeds alone!

In more recent years, Louis has been my favourite player. Comes in for unwarranted slagging here, but is still probably about 100 times fitter than all his detractors on Otib.

Every young fan should know this. Just wish I seen them all play!

I was lucky enough to have seen them all, Riley will always be my favourite though. Joined us at our lowest ebb in '82 and went on to be top scorer in at least his first 2 seasons.

Played a major part in beating Rovers in the FA Cup in 83 when they were a division above us, goals in 2 Wembley finals, a brace v Rovers in our first season after promotion from Div. 4. LEGEND.

I was lucky enough to have seen them all, Riley will always be my favourite though. Joined us at our lowest ebb in '82 and went on to be top scorer in at least his first 2 seasons.

Played a major part in beating Rovers in the FA Cup in 83 when they were a division above us, goals in 2 Wembley finals, a brace v Rovers in our first season after promotion from Div. 4. LEGEND.

Was the Rovers game played at Eastville where a young kiddie scored? 2-1 was it?

I guess having a quality forward after years of hurt in the early 80s will always make you worship them more in a way and appreciate while they were at the club.

Edit: Martin Hirst it was! My dad loved that game

Was the Rovers game played at Eastville where a young kiddie scored? 2-1 was it?

I guess having a quality forward after years of hurt in the early 80s will always make you worship them more in a way and appreciate while they were at the club.

Edit: Martin Hirst it was! My dad loved that game

Riley set up the winner for Hirst. Robbed Neil Slatter and crossed for Hirst to notch. Tom Ritchie, another legend who probably doesn't get mentioned enough on thread like this, got the equaliser.

As a lad in my early teens at the time, it was great going back in to school and lording it over fellow pupils and one gashead teacher in particular!!

The best I've seen at the Gate was Norman Hunter. The rest of my 11 - Mike Gibson, Mickey Bell, Biff, Shaun Taylor, Tins, Gow, Jacki, Andy Cole, Scotty M, Super Bob.

Subs : Carl Shutt, Chris Garland, Martin Scott, Mark Gavin, Alan Walsh, Kevin Mabbutt, Joe Royle, Mick Harford

The worst 11 - Phillips (sorry but he was no good), Gerald (let me use the fans for target practice) Lavin, Hutchings (utter crap), Dave Rennie (how he ever moved to the top flight is a mystery that I will take to my grave without solving), Pertti (useless) Jantunen (Dicks Out !), Styvar (wtf?), Burnell (could run 50 yards sideways), Bobby Gould (dirty b*stard, hated him even then), Ken Wimshurst (another Alan Dicks favourite but noone else's), Tony Butler (worth a goal a game at least... to the opposition), Hunt (nuff said)

Archived