IGNORED

Billy Davies

AshtonGreat

Billy Davies usually delivers playoffs or promotion but it seems to go stale for him or he falls out with clubs after about 18 months.

With their wealthy backers I fully expect them to be up there. He would have been working with half the budget if he'd got the job here so pointless making comparisons.

Being able to spend £5.5m does help?

Further enhancing a team which had £5.5m spent on it last year too.

Yep, that's £11m worth of players arriving at that club in the last 12 months. Somehow don't think he'd have been allowed to spend that down here, so it remains a moot point as to what success he'd potentially have had here. An £11m team should be challenging at the top.

There isn't a chance he will relegate them. He is an excellent manager

My point was that the table in August means nothing, not that he will take them down. Plus...your being a dick and have some faith in SOD. If you cant, feel free to go and watch the north Bristol pikey scum.

My point was that the table in August means nothing, not that he will take them down. Plus...your being a dick and have some faith in SOD. If you cant, feel free to go and watch the north Bristol pikey scum.

Why am I being a dick? I only put the question out there. Sorry, but having gone 12 league games without a win, I think fans have every right to ask questions

Why am I being a dick? I only put the question out there. Sorry, but having gone 12 league games without a win, I think fans have every right to ask questions

Because your trying to

A- Make out SOD was the wrong choice

or

B- Make yourself look clever

and in my opinion, you are not doing either very well.

Its three league games into a season where we are rebuilding. I realised after the Bradford game that this was a rebuilding season and if we make the play offs then this will have been a good season. Until we get players like...Kilkenny, Elliot and Pearson off the wage bill we will not be able to afford the squad to gain top 2.

Next season i will expect no less than top two but this season is a transitional year and if you cant see that after the last three games then you dont know football.

Because your trying to

A- Make out SOD was the wrong choice

or

B- Make yourself look clever

and in my opinion, you are not doing either very well.

Its three league games into a season where we are rebuilding. I realised after the Bradford game that this was a rebuilding season and if we make the play offs then this will have been a good season. Until we get players like...Kilkenny, Elliot and Pearson off the wage bill we will not be able to afford the squad to gain top 2.

Next season i will expect no less than top two but this season is a transitional year and if you cant see that after the last three games then you dont know football.

The whole point of a forum is that people have differing opinions. I find it ironic when people tell someone to "bore off" for having a view that's different to theirs, since there's nothing more boring than all singing from exactly the same hymn sheet.

So no, I wasn't trying to be clever.

Neither was I making out that SOD was the wrong choice, but for me the jury is still very much out - which is why I asked the Billy Davies question. Unlike many people, I haven't been able to simply sweep last season's run-in under the carpet and forget that it happened. Yes, people can claim that 'it wasn't SOD's team', but that doesn't excuse the lack of fight and determination in the final nine games - and those are attributes that SOD could've/should've instilled no matter whose players they were. It's my personal opinion that a bit of good old-fashioned grit – and the replacement of Liam Fontaine (something SOD and previous managers inexplicably failed to do) – and we could've just about stayed up. Why not? We had some good players (Steven Davies, Albert Adomah, Tom Heaton and Paul Anderson have all moved to Championship clubs). It's all about application and good tactics.

Now we find ourselves in League One and for many, that's a good thing because the club can be transformed, we can be the next Swansea etc etc. And I hope they're right. After all, my concerns only ever stem from the fact that I'm a Bristol City fan who's tired of the lack of success. But it remains a pipe dream at the moment. SOD has never taken a team into the top six of the Championship, let alone the Premier League. And I'm still seeing little evidence of progress – I seem to remember one former City manager (it may have been Denis Smith, but I forget) coming in and the first thing he did was shore up the defence. Then he built upwards from there. In the first three league games of this season, we've conceded nine. And for me, a 5-4 defeat doesn't hint at someone who has a sound tactical plan. I'm aware that the team will need time to gel, but for me this shouldn't take half a season. These players play together day in, day out in training. Chelsea are likely to start with several new faces against Hull today, and I'd be shocked if they don't hit the ground running. People will say 'but they're multi-million pound players, etc', but it's all relative.

I will be the first to applaud (and probably perform a song and dance) if SOD turns out to be a wily old bugger and transforms Bristol City into the next big success story. Believe me, I am desperate for it to happen. But at the moment, all we have is (admittedly beautifully written) bluster. And until I start to see some genuine results on the field (and that doesn't include moments of individual brilliance from JET or League Cup wins against poor teams), I'm not going to be signing off my posts with the words 'in SOD we trust'.

Just an alternative opinion.

His Forest team are now top of the Championship. Wasn't he one of the names bandied about before we got SOD? I seem to remember someone saying on here that his 'nasty barsteward' method of management is past its sell-by date. The league table would suggest otherwise. Thoughts?

I always thought Billy Davies would be an utterly brilliant manager for getting a short-term turnaround. I wouldn't be at all shocked if he took Forest up.

My issue with him, however, is that his clubs tend not to be in very good shape after he leaves. That obviously might be his successors' faults but I wonder if he tends to focus on short-term gains rather than putting things in for the long-term, which is what SOD has been doing.

The fact is we've struggled due to short-termism for several seasons now and, with SL no longer prepared to sustain the levels of debt, we need someone who can put foundations in place for the future. I know that frustrates people when we don't get results overnight but I think the most telling thing SOD said in that fanzine interview someone put up yesterday (Exiled Robin, presumably) is that he's aware he might end up being sacked as part of the process of what the club are doing and the time it'll take but that it needs to be done and that, if the club continue with the principles of changing the philosophy and building a sustainable team of players who can think and make good decisions - even without SOD if results cause him to lose his job - we will eventually get there.

I think Billy Davies would have been the ideal man to replace GJ or Coppell but I think, by the time Millen left, the club needed a change of direction and to tighten resources and build for the future. I don't think Davies is the man for that.

I doubt that a manager like Billy Davies would have been prepared to take on the long term rebuilding project that SL wants for the club with the financial constraints imposed. He wants premier league football in the shortest possible time, and wants to financial resources available to give him the best chance of achieving it.

I always thought Billy Davies would be an utterly brilliant manager for getting a short-term turnaround. I wouldn't be at all shocked if he took Forest up.

My issue with him, however, is that his clubs tend not to be in very good shape after he leaves. That obviously might be his successors' faults but I wonder if he tends to focus on short-term gains rather than putting things in for the long-term, which is what SOD has been doing.

The fact is we've struggled due to short-termism for several seasons now and, with SL no longer prepared to sustain the levels of debt, we need someone who can put foundations in place for the future. I know that frustrates people when we don't get results overnight but I think the most telling thing SOD said in that fanzine interview someone put up yesterday (Exiled Robin, presumably) is that he's aware he might end up being sacked as part of the process of what the club are doing and the time it'll take but that it needs to be done and that, if the club continue with the principles of changing the philosophy and building a sustainable team of players who can think and make good decisions - even without SOD if results cause him to lose his job - we will eventually get there.

I think Billy Davies would have been the ideal man to replace GJ or Coppell but I think, by the time Millen left, the club needed a change of direction and to tighten resources and build for the future. I don't think Davies is the man for that.

Good post - although is there such a thing as players who can think? ;-)

Archived