IGNORED

Are We Lacking Something?

Agree with all that. I also think we do not have a leader or a player grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

We got into the game by closing down and hustling the opposition... How come these intelligent players SOD talks about couldn't work that out for themselves during the first half??

Oh and surprise, surprise, these players schooled in England, in the English game suddenly looked better from the moment they switched to 442. Maybe it is less about intelligent players and more about simple systems.

We never once played 442.

Rome wasn't built in a day!

Planning permission was tricky back then, too. They grumbled about that at the forum for years. Will JPT game be a case of Christians v. Lions? When this season stops being too much like last season, we'll all be able to enjoy it a bit more (it will stop, won't it? Clean sheets? Wins?)

We never once played 442.

Alright, that's fair enough - JET does play in behind so 4411 (that's just modern terminology for a type of formation that's been historically referred to as 442 - eg any team Teddy Sheringham ever played in).

Point was that things improved with a more conventional formation. For whatever reason those two banks of four managed to push forward and cause problems for Wolves. Rather than standing off, getting sucked in and playing way too deep.

I'm not I've ever seen us convince playing 433, it never seems to click.

I suspect that the injury to Kelly hasn't helped, he could/will be a good partner for Pack, we need his energy and not Killkenny's pedestrian woman's window shopping pace.

What are missing in the short term is a bit of energy in midfield and importantly pace upfront and the defence to organise better and listen to SOD's orders and not change them once the game starts.

On Saturday, particularly in the first half we were lacking courage and confidence. We didn't seem to want to attack for fear that we would lose the ball and concede. Coventry did one hell of a number on us last week and the repercussions I felt were clear for all to see on Saturday. I haven't seen us play with that much fear for a long time and hope to not see it again any time soon. We were braver in the second half and looked much better for it until the winner.

On Saturday, particularly in the first half we were lacking courage and confidence. We didn't seem to want to attack for fear that we would lose the ball and concede. Coventry did one hell of a number on us last week and the repercussions I felt were clear for all to see on Saturday. I haven't seen us play with that much fear for a long time and hope to not see it again any time soon. We were braver in the second half and looked much better for it until the winner.

Totally agree with this, we looked terrified of pushing up too much in case we got done behind again, which against what will probably prove to be the best strike force in the division if Doyle stays is understandable especially when one of the defenders is starting his first ever game. Problem was it played straight into Wolves' hands and Doyle had the freedom of the Gate until the substitution! From SOD's reaction after don't think this is what he told the defence to do.

4-4-1-1 at its simplest.

4-2-3-1 at its most complex.

I think you're overcomplicating it really.

442 was as adequate a description as either of those, it's just that a certain amount of fluidity is encouraged and JET doesn't like playing on the shoulder.

Other than a couple players, we are lacking the experience/mentality to see the game out at the moment.

85th minute equaliser for Bradford.

87th minute winner for Coventry.

85th minute winner for Wolves.

Only just read this post. 85th minute equaliser for Bradford ? I'm sure there was at least 15 minutes left when they scored ?

We're lacking takers for Fontaine, Kilkenny, Elliott, Taylor, Pearson, Wilson.

As soon as that lot are gone, we can bring in more of the types of players we need.

Already can't wait for next season!

This is exactly what I'm seeing. Plenty more need to move on, plenty more to come in. Impossible to turn it all around in one close season.

We're nowhere near right yet, 10th-12th this season (plus a cup run to keep it interesting), promotion push next season.

Archived