IGNORED

Police Funded And Incentivised To Ban Football Fans

thatcham red

I came across this interesting article in the Independent about targets and funding for banning orders, including this paragraph:
"In addition, some individual posts – for instance two football intelligence officers in the South Wales Police – are funded directly by the Home Office. This funding is dependent on how many fans are successfully banned, according to a response by South Wales Police to a Freedom of Information request."
The relevance is that we have had some recent experience in South Wales, with some fans feeling aggrieved by the provocative approach taken by police at the Cardiff game last season.

A Home Office spokesman said: "There is no evidence to support these claims. Football banning orders can only be made by a court when someone has been convicted of a relevant offence or it has been proved they contributed to violence. Magistrates must also be satisfied it will prevent future disorder."

Who would have thought that the Home Office had such a sophisticated sense of humour? Magistrates do what the police tell them. End of.

A Home Office spokesman said: "There is no evidence to support these claims. Football banning orders can only be made by a court when someone has been convicted of a relevant offence or it has been proved they contributed to violence. Magistrates must also be satisfied it will prevent future disorder."

Who would have thought that the Home Office had such a sophisticated sense of humour? Magistrates do what the police tell them. End of.

Probably by being at a football match!

Mmmmmmm

But I thought this was all ok and we are all stupid to question it?? and it was only knuckle draggers moaning :whistle2:

I also heard that some irresponsible bloke brought it up at some club meeting or something.

I then heard a lot of people slagged him off for it because the old bill would never behave like that.

Don't know who it was though

You don't even need to have been arrested for South Wales Police to apply for a ban:-

Superintendent Phil Davies, of Swansea Central Police Station, said: “South Wales Police can, and will, continue to pursue civil banning orders against those who are frequently and actively engaged in incidents of disorder at football events regardless of whether they have been arrested or convicted.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/five-swansea-city-fans-given-2048989

Didn't some people say that the person who brought this up should consider whether he is a fit person to be on the fans Parliament? As it has been proved beyond question IMO that that person is a very fit person to represent me and other east enders on the fans Parliament would he perhaps reconsider his decision to resign?

As a result, fans without any criminal convictions and scant knowledge of their legal rights are finding themselves barred from all stadiums for up to 10 years as the number of football banning orders rises.

Oh joy - to be banned for 10 years from being exploited ... bring it on pls.

Didn't some people say that the person who brought this up should consider whether he is a fit person to be on the fans Parliament? As it has been proved beyond question IMO that that person is a very fit person to represent me and other east enders on the fans Parliament would he perhaps reconsider his decision to resign?

That is very nice of you to say about that said person but as i'm aware the position has now been filled by some one new...

The said person has no plans to return, however they are moving on to other projects that are hopefully seen in a more positive light.

But still stand by the view of that article and go along with the solicitor, FSF Rep and the university lecturer who have witnessed and studied court cases or are they stupid to?

Archived