IGNORED

Who Was That Player For Us?

Welcome To The Jungle

Wore number 25, could pass, tackle, head, tracked back, went forward, positionaly excellent; resembled Marvin Elliott in appearance in many ways. :cool:

Marv, that was your best showing in years, keep it up.

Yeah, Elliot was immense tonight. ODriscoll has obviously influenced the way Marv should play. In essence "keep it simple" and when you win the ball give it to one of the more skilful lads along side you and Elliot did just that. He kept in position as well.

To be honest I didn't know that Marv had that in his locker. Well done SoD.

I admit that pre season I was not pleased at the prospect of Marv being part of our 'new plan', but I'm always happy to be proved wrong with a brilliant performance. He was immense tonight.

Reid was good - everyone was good - but I would have put Marv, JET, Wagstaff and Bryan all above him.

Even Moloney looked good going forwards a few times!

When it comes to Marv I know I'm his biggest fan and I know at times I can be slightly biased towards him, but tonight he was absolutely magnificent. The best he's been in a very long time.

I've felt all along that some of the criticism he gets from some is undeserved and he sometimes gets grouped with certain other players when people talk about overpaid and underperforming members of our squad from the last few seasons which is unfair. He may not be Xavi, but as far as I'm concerned he has given it his very best every time he has been fortunate enough to wear our beautiful red shirt. In an era when so many footballers fall short, Marvin's determination and effort, if nothing else, should be appreciated.

I had though forgotten he could play as well as he did tonight. Last season he gave a few very good performances after O'Driscoll came in, but he did all the things we all know he can do. He worked hard, hassled opponents and tackled everything that moved, but tonight he was even better than that. Tonight he was the Marvin Elliott we saw when we signed him all those years ago. As well as doing all the things you would associate with a typical Elliott performance he offered himself as a passing option to the defence, he kept the ball and at times he was even dictating play!

In a young squad I also feel having someone of Marvin's experience and character could also be vital. He may not be wearing the armband, but he is someone that leads by example and someone that a lot of the younger players could do a lot worse than look at how he carries himself on the pitch. As I said, he may not be the most talented the world has ever seen, but we wouldn't be in the division we are now if more of our players from the last couple of seasons had Marv's spirit, heart and fight.

I don't think anyone could have criticised any of players this evening, and although JET's undoubted quality managed to find a breakthrough when it was beginning to look like we wouldn't manage one, I thought Marv was MOTM by a distance.

He impressed me against MK, as well as tonight. Not only has he looked so much better with him seemingly having a far more composed passing ability, he also looks much more match-fit than he has done in recent seasons, which has meant he has been playing like the midfield engine he was when at his best. It's not only testament to SO'D's training schedule, but also to Marv himself.

Well done Marv! Long may it continue.

Fabulous performance, as I said on another thread. I did wonder whether the fact it was Palarse gave Marv a bit of extra motivation. He's a sarf London boy and Palace have the most detestable fans in the capital. (Although there's tough competition for that title)

I kept waiting for a misplaced pass - if it went to extra time, I think I'd still be waiting.

Best game for years -take a bow son.

Eastonboy - you the same eastonboy who still laughs (or used to) every time he sees the Mangotsfield sign re The Bountyhunter's infamous/unfamous back cover of yesteryear, "Forget About Mangotsfield, Support Roverz Move To Mansfield"?

If so, did you see The Bountyhunter's back cover of last season's comeback issue no 9? Dedicated to you...

If you're not the same eastonboy, er, could you change your name? (Joke).

Eastonboy - you the same eastonboy who still laughs (or used to) every time he sees the Mangotsfield sign re The Bountyhunter's infamous/unfamous back cover of yesteryear, "Forget About Mangotsfield, Support Roverz Move To Mansfield"?

If so, did you see The Bountyhunter's back cover of last season's comeback issue no 9? Dedicated to you...

If you're not the same eastonboy, er, could you change your name? (Joke).

Indeed I am, and even just reading that made me laugh!! 15-20 years later and that joke still hasn't got old!

Missed that BH mate(who are you?)

Indeed I am, and even just reading that made me laugh!! 15-20 years later and that joke still hasn't got old!

Missed that BH mate(who are you?)

Bloody hell, eastonboy, I go out of my way to dedicate and entire page to you and you don't even have the good grace to...!

Sorry, still on an Ollow'ead rage...

I am/we are The Bountyhunter, mate!

Email us at the.bountyhunter@hotmail.co.uk, give us yer postal address and we'll post you last season's 3 issues for free, look, seeing as you said such nice things about us on this 'ere forum last summer.

I won't give away the back page of Issue 9 for you...

Can't believe I'm ''speaking'' to eastonboy! Proper bo', I tell thi!

Nice one, dude, see you up there laughing at the sign some time...

I thought there were 2 factors behind his excellent performance, both tactical.

It was very noticeable to me how much deeper he played than the Marvin of old.

As all of us notice as we get older you can't do what you used to, so set pieces aside, he played the screening role last night (as Cisse did so effectively) rather than the rampaging Marv who scored 8 in Millen's full season.

This may well of course have been also to compliment the excellent Bobby Reid.

The other issue was that with Skuse now gone our Lampard/ Gerrard conundrum is ended and so Marv had the chance to play the role that now suits his experience and age.

When it comes to Marv I know I'm his biggest fan and I know at times I can be slightly biased towards him, but tonight he was absolutely magnificent. The best he's been in a very long time.

I've felt all along that some of the criticism he gets from some is undeserved and he sometimes gets grouped with certain other players when people talk about overpaid and underperforming members of our squad from the last few seasons which is unfair. He may not be Xavi, but as far as I'm concerned he has given it his very best every time he has been fortunate enough to wear our beautiful red shirt. In an era when so many footballers fall short, Marvin's determination and effort, if nothing else, should be appreciated.

I had though forgotten he could play as well as he did tonight. Last season he gave a few very good performances after O'Driscoll came in, but he did all the things we all know he can do. He worked hard, hassled opponents and tackled everything that moved, but tonight he was even better than that. Tonight he was the Marvin Elliott we saw when we signed him all those years ago. As well as doing all the things you would associate with a typical Elliott performance he offered himself as a passing option to the defence, he kept the ball and at times he was even dictating play!

In a young squad I also feel having someone of Marvin's experience and character could also be vital. He may not be wearing the armband, but he is someone that leads by example and someone that a lot of the younger players could do a lot worse than look at how he carries himself on the pitch. As I said, he may not be the most talented the world has ever seen, but we wouldn't be in the division we are now if more of our players from the last couple of seasons had Marv's spirit, heart and fight.

I don't think anyone could have criticised any of players this evening, and although JET's undoubted quality managed to find a breakthrough when it was beginning to look like we wouldn't manage one, I thought Marv was MOTM by a distance.

Agree with every word of that.

I thought Marv was awesome and looked very much like his old self. I haven't seem him play like that for a long time. Marv and Reid complimented each other well and I think because Marv was sat a lot deeper it helped his game more.

Hopefully under SOD he can be reinvigorated because he will have a huge role to play if he plays like that. His experience and work rate is still very important to us.

Bloody hell, eastonboy, I go out of my way to dedicate and entire page to you and you don't even have the good grace to...!

Sorry, still on an Ollow'ead rage...

I am/we are The Bountyhunter, mate!

Email us at the.bountyhunter@hotmail.co.uk, give us yer postal address and we'll post you last season's 3 issues for free, look, seeing as you said such nice things about us on this 'ere forum last summer.

I won't give away the back page of Issue 9 for you...

Can't believe I'm ''speaking'' to eastonboy! Proper bo', I tell thi!

Nice one, dude, see you up there laughing at the sign some time...

Alright, alright, all you clever clogs who are now emailing for free copies.

We're having none of that.

You can pay for your 60 pgs of nonsense and opinion (aren't they the same thing?) like the rest of us. We even have to buy our own copies, and we write the bloody thing.

As for Marv, it was nice to see him back to something like a footballer.

As bearded_red says, he's not the most talented but as soon as you get past that you can see what he offers us which is something no-one else does. And I am not inn any way his biggest fan.

Forget his first touch, if we had eleven+ players with a great first touch they'd be playing for someone else. He will never again have the athleticism of the player aged 23 who joined us, but he still has a role in the team/squad/club. He scores goals like no-one else can (off his bonce, will wait on Flinty to see this happening soon - next Wednesday?!) and he's still about the only midfielder who can and is prepared to properly tackle. Bryan, Wagstaff, Wynter, Reid, Kilkenny - all have been out-muscled already this season (they have other strengths) so a fit and strong Elliott will be important this season, as much off the pitch as on it.

We can't judge all the players by the same standards (so he can't trap the ball or pass accurately very regularly, well, let others do that) - they're not all good at the same things, just as we aren't in our jobs. Marv's strengths appear to be rekindled (surprise under SOD?) and they are in short supply in this squad.

Good on him.

His best moment was, still though, the header whilst lying on the floor.

Archived