IGNORED

Thermos Flask

Aizoon

As an aside, i recently attended an event at the o2 arena and was told that if i wanted to take my bottle of pop in that they'd have to take the lid from me. I asked why and was told that a discarded bottle with lid attached will roll when stepped on, causing people to slip over on them. A bottle without a lid would simply crush. I presume the reason for this is the same at AG and thus presumably ”an atmospheric pressure that is much lower than the air around flask”/Thermos is fine because people won't be discarding them.

I always thought the "lid on" thing was that it's impossible to piss in a vessel with the lid on and then chuck it at the "other lot". Therefore, the AG management were just helping out (a.k.a. taking the p...)

You have been warned, Aizoon check your thermos for scratches or cracks.

Safety[edit source | editbeta]

Vacuum flasks are at risk of implosion hazard and glass vessels under vacuum in particular may shatter unexpectedly. Chips, scratches or cracks can be a starting point for dangerous vessel failure, especially when the vessel temperature changes rapidly (when hot or cold liquid is added). Proper preparation of the Dewar vacuum flask by tempering prior to use is advised to maintain and optimize the functioning of the unit. Glass vacuum flasks are usually fitted into a metal base with the cylinder contained in or coated with mesh, aluminum or plastic to aid in handling, protect from physical damage and to contain fragments should they break.

In addition, cryogenic storage dewars are usually pressurized and may explode if pressure relief valves are not used.

You have been warned, Aizoon check your thermos for scratches or cracks.

Safety[edit source | editbeta]

Vacuum flasks are at risk of implosion hazard and glass vessels under vacuum in particular may shatter unexpectedly. Chips, scratches or cracks can be a starting point for dangerous vessel failure, especially when the vessel temperature changes rapidly (when hot or cold liquid is added). Proper preparation of the Dewar vacuum flask by tempering prior to use is advised to maintain and optimize the functioning of the unit. Glass vacuum flasks are usually fitted into a metal base with the cylinder contained in or coated with mesh, aluminum or plastic to aid in handling, protect from physical damage and to contain fragments should they break.

In addition, cryogenic storage dewars are usually pressurized and may explode if pressure relief valves are not used.

Is there a recommended safety procedure? Are the stewards authorised to carry it out? Will no one think of the children?

I always thought the "lid on" thing was that it's impossible to piss in a vessel with the lid on and then chuck it at the "other lot". Therefore, the AG management were just helping out (a.k.a. taking the p...)

I always thought it was because a shaken fizzy drink bottle with a lid on becomes a very hard, and would hurt if thrown at someone, an empty bottle without a lid wouldnt do a lot!

I always thought it was because a shaken fizzy drink bottle with a lid on becomes a very hard, and would hurt if thrown at someone, an empty bottle without a lid wouldnt do a lot!

I wouldn't think they'd bother for that reason. There's plenty of things you can take into the ground and throw that they can't confiscate, coins, lighters etc.

I wouldn't think they'd bother for that reason. There's plenty of things you can take into the ground and throw that they can't confiscate, coins, lighters etc.

I'm pretty certain it is because of the possibility of being thrown, obviously it's not possible to take people's money or lighters from them. I take a bag to the game and am always asked if I have 'bottles or cans or sharp objects' I say no but I have a metal flask and they say 'you aren't going to throw that are you' and I say 'I'd have to have one hell of a throw to get that onto the pitch from where I sit in the Dolman, anyway my aim isn't that good'

My daughter had her bag searched once and she had a small aerosol perfume spray, she was allowed to bring it in but told not to bring it again. I asked what they were searching for besides bottles and cans and was told 'fireworks' (this wasnt near nov 5th or new year or anything). I asked if they ever found any fireworks and was told no.

And yes Aizoon, the stewards do get a bit jobsworth now and again and insist bottle tops are taken off and confiscated before you can go in with bottles of water etc, not often but it has happened. Most of the time common sense prevails and they let you in fine.

Archived