IGNORED

Will This Be Your First Bristol Derby?

SecretSam

It occurs to me that a whole generation of City fans will never have seen a 'real' Bristol derby - last one was also in the JPT (or whatever) 7 years ago, IIRC? Personally, I don't rate these as highly as League or FA Cup games, but still...

For us older folk, full blown derbies used to be a regular occurrence, and not always happy occasions (the Gary Smart goal in the last minute will live with me forever) - but now they are few and far between.

So, how many on here will be going to their first one? And how do you feel about it, given that you've never had to really check how the Gas are getting on, as they've been below us in the league structure for so long?

I'm with you Sam, going back to 1975.

One thing I have noticed from chatting to gas friends and rovers supporters online is that I know virtually nothing about their side. Apart from JJOT, I would be hard pressed to name one. It's bad on my part TBH as I could have pretty much named their side a few years ago.

As City fans, I reckon we don't know enough about their side to be able to predict how they will line up let alone how they will play.

To those going to their first derby, enjoy!

Most people involved in football, particularly those who have experienced them, are very quick to say just how big these games are and how they compare favourably with any other derby in the country.

What the Bristol Derby might lack in numbers or prestige (being a lower league fixture) it certainly makes up for in passion, tension, atmosphere and general hatred!

If this is your first time, then expect something different to anything you have experienced before!

C.O.Y.R!!

My first were the two semi-final legs in 2007. I was only 10, and it was a while ago, so fortunately I can't remember much of them. I just remember the intensity of the atmosphere. It's strange to compare it to the Rotherham game a few months later: Both huge atmospheres, but in totally different ways. Like watching Friday the 13th and then Anchorman.

I have to agree that I know absolutely nothing about the current Gas team other than the manager Is Ward!

Back in the 80's and 90's I could have named more of their team than most of the so called Gasheads that I worked with, the likes of Penrice, Alexander, White, Twentystone, Hollowhead, etc. etc.

There was a need to know them as the rivalry encouraged decent banter.....

No need any more as they are, and have been for years, in the lower parts of the football league, no longer our 'rivals'.

If you've never been to a derby game at AG, be prepared for some serious noise! You'd think there was twice the crowd..... at least.

I have to agree that I know absolutely nothing about the current Gas team other than the manager Is Ward!

Back in the 80's and 90's I could have named more of their team than most of the so called Gasheads that I worked with, the likes of Penrice, Alexander, White, Twentystone, Hollowhead, etc. etc.

There was a need to know them as the rivalry encouraged decent banter.....

No need any more as they are, and have been for years, in the lower parts of the football league, no longer our 'rivals'.

If you've never been to a derby game at AG, be prepared for some serious noise! You'd think there was twice the crowd..... at least.

I hope some of the older generation - and I'll include myself in that - won't be sitting on their hands tomorrow ;-)

Best one was in 1964-5. The Gas were top, we were 9th. Big John came back from injury, we won 2-1.

We went on to win 11 of the last 13 and went up at the very last minute with an Ateyo goal, leaving the Gas nowhere.

It doesn't get any better than that :)

spelling

It will be my son's first derby. They are 12 and 9. The 9 year old doesn't come with us much but as soon as the draw was made he was up for this one. They are young and naive enough to think we will give the gas a good tonking. Unfortunately I'm a little more cynical (worldly wise) and know that anything can happen!

My first was a 4-1 defeat at Eastville, I think Gordon Fearnley put us one up at HT in a strong wind, which you took full advantage of in the second half. I remember Paul Cheesely carrying a few extra pounds, and showing no signs of the player he went on to be, and Dick Sheppard made his one and only comeback game for us.

My first at your place was the 1-1 where Bruce Bannister scored after about 3 minutes for us and you quickly equalised. I sat in The Dolman that day with Rovers hat and scarf on with no bother at all, I seem to remember that the seated areas were always considered 'safe' and there was litttle or no segregation.

Going on from what some posters have said about not knowing our players, I think its the same for us. I'd recognise Loius Carey, and couple of other names but thats about it. Then again if you showed me the current Rovers squad photo I'd struggle to identify half of them, but show me one from the 70's I'd get the lot (and probably would on a City one too)

Think my first one was 1973, so no, not my first by a long way.

For those of you saying you don't know any of their players, although his spell was us wasn't exactly memorable you must have seen David Clarkson play, surely?

Indeed Graham. JJOT, Clarkson and Mildenhall are the three I know of and I can't say I know alot about O'Toole as a player. The rest? Not a scooby. as mentioned, that's poor on my part IMHO.

I think our gas visitor has summed it up well TBH.

Indeed Graham. JJOT, Clarkson and Mildenhall are the three I know of and I can't say I know alot about O'Toole as a player. The rest? Not a scooby. as mentioned, that's poor on my part IMHO.

I couldn't name more than half either. They are saying the best striker is Brunt who is out injured and i have never heard of him.

The first one I can remember at AG was the Chris Garland header off the floor game, about 1976ish?

The first time i remember going to Eastville was a Glos Cup game. Would have been about 79/80 as I remember taking a flag I'd got at Wembley when we went to watch Almondsbury Greenway.

My first was in January 1996, when we sold too many tickets and locked people out. Lost 0-2, can still picture Beadle's 30 yarder.

Favourite was the return game that season, 4-2 win, first win at Twerton in the last derby there. Stood quietly on the Bath End trying not to celebrate.

Back to the first post: Gary Smart is my parents' electrician by the way. He managed to shoehorn his derby winner into conversation when he was last round there.

Archived