IGNORED

Will This Be Your First Bristol Derby?

SecretSam

My first derby was in the late 60's. I think it was a Cup replay at Eastville. I know we won 5-0 and all the 'forwards' scored. I think it was Crowe, Galley, Peters and probably Sharpe and Clark. You lose your memory after a bit. Old age don't come alone?

Several posts on this forum would suggest, whether you like it or not, The Gas will always be important to you, just as you are important to us.

But not to the same extent. I have several Gashead friends, and a win over us would make their season. The converse wouldn't make mine.

Have seen a number of the derbies over the years fair to say there have been a number of ups and downs.

Those who say the game doesn't matter as its the JPT are way off the mark. Ok its not a league game but a competitive game against a team that will always be our number rivals are few and far between.

If its your first derby, enjoy it and hopefully we get the result. If we dont then you are in for a few days of hell from any gasheads you may know and its not easy to take.

One thing is for sure, you wont get a bigger buzz from a football game than when you see the mighty red shirts walking onto the pitch along side blue and white quarters.

Several posts on this forum would suggest, whether you like it or not, The Gas will always be important to you, just as you are important to us.

Not me mate couldn't give a monkeys whether you are in the prem or drop out of the league (obviously prefer the later)

At the start `67 I used to go to all home and most away games as the days go by now, other things take president over even watching our home games and the list gets longer by the day. Afraid your mob don't even register anywhere near being remotely interesting to me.

Have seen a number of the derbies over the years fair to say there have been a number of ups and downs.

Those who say the game doesn't matter as its the JPT are way off the mark. Ok its not a league game but a competitive game against a team that will always be our number rivals are few and far between.

If its your first derby, enjoy it and hopefully we get the result. If we dont then you are in for a few days of hell from any gasheads you may know and its not easy to take.

One thing is for sure, you wont get a bigger buzz from a football game than when you see the mighty red shirts walking onto the pitch along side blue and white quarters.

It occurs to me that a whole generation of City fans will never have seen a 'real' Bristol derby - last one was also in the JPT (or whatever) 7 years ago, IIRC? Personally, I don't rate these as highly as League or FA Cup games, but still...

For us older folk, full blown derbies used to be a regular occurrence, and not always happy occasions (the Gary Smart goal in the last minute will live with me forever) - but now they are few and far between.

So, how many on here will be going to their first one? And how do you feel about it, given that you've never had to really check how the Gas are getting on, as they've been below us in the league structure for so long?

Great assist from the new Man Utd manager ;)

A few days of hell?! They're still dining off of 2007 !!

Not me mate couldn't give a monkeys whether you are in the prem or drop out of the league (obviously prefer the later)

At the start `67 I used to go to all home and most away games as the days go by now, other things take president over even watching our home games and the list gets longer by the day. Afraid your mob don't even register anywhere near being remotely interesting to me.

I don't believe you :)

My main memory of that game was my brother having to take his City bumper sticker off his car (temporarily) to drive up to Whorefield!

Ha! To make matters worse for me after that game (I was there at the second leg) my car got keyed whilst parked just off of Gloucester Road. Wasn't even showing colours so think it was just a random knobhead

I've been to a few but the only one that really stands out was the last one at Eastville. Rovers won 1-0 IIRC, it was incredibly windy; goal-kicks were blowing back the way they came and there was a big shunt on the M32 right behind all us City fans.

Being a non-Bristolian (Stroud), I have to confess to rarely getting too excited about derbys and even now, I'd take a win over Peterborough to one tomorrow night!

Thinking about it, I have never known a single Gashead in my whole life, so that might explain my ambivalence

Obviously went to specsavers 4 years ago, your due a check up geezer !

This is actually my fourth season of having a season ticket. I'm embarrassed to admit I was drawn in by Coppell and to a lesser extent David James getting us to the 'Promised Land'. You can imagine my feelings in mid August when Coppell Copped Out! Still, I've renewed every season since so about time I'm due to see some success! Even if it is against Rovers...

My first derby was around 99, a dour nil nil on a Sunday afternoon at like mid day, pretty flat for a derby was my first impressions. However my next was the 3-2 at christmas, that will never be forgotten. them scoring in first minute to Beadles introduction, Ashton rocked that night. Think I even still got the red cards they gave out that night to hold up. Next was a defeat at their place, 2 nil I think? the week after we went to wembley iirc, I stood in the rovers end that day and it was torture. Then the magical night Phillips saved that penalty which pretty much doomed them to relegation. Not a derby but the rovers v wycombe game was a brilliant night. Then there was the 3 nil win over them in the JPT and also a win in a pre season friendly at their place with grant smith getting the winner.

Then the 0-0 in the first leg of the JPT final which again I felt was pretty flat and we didn't turn up on the day.

I was then in the away end for the second leg, never felt so worse in all my days following City, Lambert scoring right in front of us, the Rovers fans invading the pitch coming after us, hearing them all celebrating, being sprayed with tear gas in the away end, not being allowed to leave until all the celebrations have died down. Absolutely horrible. Since then I have had years and years of people saying 1 nil to me. Time to change that.

Archived