IGNORED

Defensive Debuts

chamlin_1

Looked very solid tonight, especially under the derby atmosphere, thought Shorey and O'Connor especially looked very assured, some astute signings by O'Driscoll yet again with a bit more solidarity at the back.. Im sure the first clean sheet is on its way, most importantly for the league games approaching!!

From what I saw - from the perspective of a tiny screen in an office many miles away - Shorey looked every bit the class defender we knew he'd be.

Would be interested in what those at the game thought of O'Connor. I thought I detected a bit of jitteryness, but, like I say, I didn't even get to watch the whole match.

Shorey looks the business, looks like another quality recruit , honestly speaking I wasn't keen on him but after seeing him back end of last game and tonight, my perception has changed!

O'conner looks very confortable on the ball at CB as well, only if he was 5 inches taller! (Sounds silly I know, but he looks small? opinions?)

Parish in goal tonight again was solid, prefer him to fielding at the moment! I just like a commanding GK and he defo is one! Seems to install more confidence in the back four!

Thought the defence passed the ball around between them FAR too much, knock it across and back to Parish, over and over again and ended up losing a couple of balls after playing around for too long. Looked strong when they didn't have the ball and were defending a proper attacking attempt but still work to be done and they sometimes need to just get rid of the ball.

From what I saw - from the perspective of a tiny screen in an office many miles away - Shorey looked every bit the class defender we knew he'd be.

Would be interested in what those at the game thought of O'Connor. I thought I detected a bit of jitteryness, but, like I say, I didn't even get to watch the whole match.

He had a couple of shaky moments but overall I thought he did well for his first game (I'm guessing it was his first taste of competitive football this season?). Never stopped talking either.

I thought O'Connor was largely excellent. He seemed clever, read the game well and looked to pass the ball out of defence rather than hoof it. Granted there were a couple of times when he got himself into trouble by not hoofing it but on the whole I'd rather that than have a defender who can't / won't pass. I think he also had a calming influence on Flint, encouraging him to hold the ball and pass it more too.

Shorey was also very, very good. Again, he was so calm and thoughtful in possession, especially when breaking a sustained period of Rovers pressure by holding on to the ball until the rest of the team had got out.

I thought O'Connor looked like a full back being asked to fill in at centre half; he never quite looked comfortable but did a decent job. Shorey played well, though I didn't think he had a lot to do defensively for much of the game as The Gas figured out they would get much new joy attacking Moloney down the right

Shorey looks the business, looks like another quality recruit , honestly speaking I wasn't keen on him but after seeing him back end of last game and tonight, my perception has changed!

O'conner looks very confortable on the ball at CB as well, only if he was 5 inches taller! (Sounds silly I know, but he looks small? opinions?)

Parish in goal tonight again was solid, prefer him to fielding at the moment! I just like a commanding GK and he defo is one! Seems to install more confidence in the back four!

Our defence looked way more secure.

Both Shorey and O'Conner are quality signings at this level and will offer some composure and experience.

I do think our Defence looks more comfortable when Parish is playing. I'd have him over 'Flapper' Fielding any day.

The one thing we do need to improve on is winning headers from set pieces and crosses.

Our defence looked way more secure.

Both Shorey and O'Conner are quality signings at this level and will offer some composure and experience.

I do think our Defence looks more comfortable when Parish is playing. I'd have him over 'Flapper' Fielding any day.

The one thing we do need to improve on is winning headers from set pieces and crosses.

Totally agree on the GK issue. Parish has a solid all around game and looks comfortable.

I thought O'Connor was largely excellent. He seemed clever, read the game well and looked to pass the ball out of defence rather than hoof it. Granted there were a couple of times when he got himself into trouble by not hoofing it but on the whole I'd rather that than have a defender who can't / won't pass. I think he also had a calming influence on Flint, encouraging him to hold the ball and pass it more too.

Shorey was also very, very good. Again, he was so calm and thoughtful in possession, especially when breaking a sustained period of Rovers pressure by holding on to the ball until the rest of the team had got out.

Spot on.

Archived