IGNORED

It Gets Worse For Rovers

Barrs Court Red

Arrested on suspicion. That doesn't mean he is a rapist - he could be completely innocent for all anyone knows. He should be given a fair trial, but it's sad that the accused are not dealt with confidentially. If he's innocent, it's going to tarnish his reputation like everyone else who has ever been accused of rape.

There was a question on Question time last night about anonymity. The broad consensusfrom the panel was that anonymity should be given until they are charged, but not after. If the person arrested has not been charged then we should hesitate to discuss in any detail (if some should become available)

The reason given for this is that other victims can be given the courage to speak up when they see that their assailant has been charged, which takes a case from a one word vs. another (often with little in the way of forensic evidence if the case is historic) - which can often mean there is "reasonable doubt" even in horiffic cases, to several separate accounts which can be compared to see if the case is reinforced (if details agree) or broken down (if the stories are conflicting).

This means that on balance more genuine rape cases get a conviction than they otherwise would. It has consequences with regards to the reputation of the accused (especially for those in the public limelight) even when found innocent in the court - but it is hard to say that over the total of the rape complaints made this is worse overall than allowing more rapists to get away with it because corroboration is not available because a rape victim is not aware of the case going ahead...

Ah tfe can see the point.....

Anyway the point about anonymity comes up every so often. I believe the last time was because a teacher had been accused of rape, which turned out to be nothing by a twisted lie.

As a man, it would be my worst nightmare to be accused of rape. It's hard to defend yourself against the word of another, and in affect you are judged twice? By the courts and in tandem, the public.

Ah tfe can see the point.....

Anyway the point about anonymity comes up every so often. I believe the last time was because a teacher had been accused of rape, which turned out to be nothing by a twisted lie.

As a man, it would be my worst nightmare to be accused of rape. It's hard to defend yourself against the word of another, and in affect you are judged twice? By the courts and in tandem, the public.

You would think that, but I believe the success rate in rape cases where the accused refutes the charges is pitifully low. Obviously a proportion of those found not guilty will be just that, but it's pretty easy to introduce 'reasonable doubt' into a rape case when you think about it. That said, I agree with you; it would be a nightmare to be falsely accused as you would struggle to shake the stigma that comes with it

Anyway; if Harrison did it I hope he rots in jail. If he didn't do it, I hope he's allowed to continue with his life and isn't judged for it. Unfortunately, football stadiums are pretty judgemental places...

There was a question on Question time last night about anonymity. The broad consensusfrom the panel was that anonymity should be given until they are charged, but not after. If the person arrested has not been charged then we should hesitate to discuss in any detail (if some should become available)

The reason given for this is that other victims can be given the courage to speak up when they see that their assailant has been charged, which takes a case from a one word vs. another (often with little in the way of forensic evidence if the case is historic) - which can often mean there is "reasonable doubt" even in horiffic cases, to several separate accounts which can be compared to see if the case is reinforced (if details agree) or broken down (if the stories are conflicting).

This means that on balance more genuine rape cases get a conviction than they otherwise would. It has consequences with regards to the reputation of the accused (especially for those in the public limelight) even when found innocent in the court - but it is hard to say that over the total of the rape complaints made this is worse overall than allowing more rapists to get away with it because corroboration is not available because a rape victim is not aware of the case going ahead...

Also when charged and in court due to the system we have public can walk into court and watch trial it would be impossible to keep the name out of the public domain.

I don't want to go in to it too much, but about 6 years ago a ex-friend of mine was accused of rape, he was arrested - his slammed against the floor by 2 female police officers who arrested him. Shamefully, I didn't know what to believe due to the seriousness of the accusation. Turns out, it was just a bitter girl who he had a argument with, playing the best card she had. Anyway, it was hell for the guy and it shows just how easy it is to make an accusation like that.

I dread to think how many people are in prison due to people doing jury service and just passing people off as rapists just because they are accused. My friend had a alibi thankfully, but it just goes to show.

I don't want to go in to it too much, but about 6 years ago a ex-friend of mine was accused of rape, he was arrested - his slammed against the floor by 2 female police officers who arrested him. Shamefully, I didn't know what to believe due to the seriousness of the accusation. Turns out, it was just a bitter girl who he had a argument with, playing the best card she had. Anyway, it was hell for the guy and it shows just how easy it is to make an accusation like that.

I dread to think how many people are in prison due to people doing jury service and just passing people off as rapists just because they are accused. My friend had a alibi thankfully, but it just goes to show.

But surely the girl shouldn't be allowed to get away with it?

You would think that, but I believe the success rate in rape cases where the accused refutes the charges is pitifully low. Obviously a proportion of those found not guilty will be just that, but it's pretty easy to introduce 'reasonable doubt' into a rape case when you think about it. That said, I agree with you; it would be a nightmare to be falsely accused as you would struggle to shake the stigma that comes with it

Anyway; if Harrison did it I hope he rots in jail. If he didn't do it, I hope he's allowed to continue with his life and isn't judged for it. Unfortunately, football stadiums are pretty judgemental places...

The conviction rate for cases that go to court are almost the same over most crimes, including rape. There is a myth that seems to abound that that the conviction rate is really low, but it is on a par with many other court cases.

The number of rape cases brought to court is low, but again it's the same with many other crimes - the main problem/issue for rape being the lack of witnesses (the fact that it is often 1 persons testimony against another). There is a balance that is needed, it seems pretty much there atm other than as I mentioned earlier that I feel that the suspect should not be named until convicted (or at least until the case come to trial).

But surely the girl shouldn't be allowed to get away with it?

You would think. But to be honest, I'm not sure what happened in the end. I don't think she was prosecuted. The issue is of course, if you start prosecuting 'false accusers' then what happens when a genuine victim tries to prosecute - fails, gets labeled as a false accuser and then gets done over by system twice.

It would be nice if people just don't rape - and not falsely accuse people. :(

Archived