IGNORED

It Gets Worse For Rovers

Barrs Court Red

I don't think they should name you unless convicted - whatever the outcome this will tarnish the rest of his life...

Totally agree, but try telling that to the feminists who make the rules. A mate of mine had his life ruined by a serial false accuser. She, of course, remained anonymous and free to continue making malicious accusations.

I don't want to go in to it too much, but about 6 years ago a ex-friend of mine was accused of rape, he was arrested - his slammed against the floor by 2 female police officers who arrested him. Shamefully, I didn't know what to believe due to the seriousness of the accusation. Turns out, it was just a bitter girl who he had a argument with, playing the best card she had. Anyway, it was hell for the guy and it shows just how easy it is to make an accusation like that.

I dread to think how many people are in prison due to people doing jury service and just passing people off as rapists just because they are accused. My friend had a alibi thankfully, but it just goes to show.

Was she brought to justice for it?

No, I thought not.

The conviction rate for cases that go to court are almost the same over most crimes, including rape. There is a myth that seems to abound that that the conviction rate is really low, but it is on a par with many other court cases.

The number of rape cases brought to court is low, but again it's the same with many other crimes - the main problem/issue for rape being the lack of witnesses (the fact that it is often 1 persons testimony against another). There is a balance that is needed, it seems pretty much there atm other than as I mentioned earlier that I feel that the suspect should not be named until convicted (or at least until the case come to trial).

That entirely depends on whether the CPS decides to take it to court or not. It also depends on how you manipulate/interpret the statistics. The fact of the matter is that the CPS know how difficult it is to successfully prosecute in rape cases so most never make it out of the prosecutors pile of case files. Earlier this year (around the time the CPS were reporting an record increase in their success in court) figures from the Office For National Statistics a Ministry For Justice revealed that less than 1 in 30 reported rapes results in a successful prosecution. That's the governments own interpretation of its own figures. If you add in serious sexual assaults, I think it's about 2.5%, taking into account that most rapists convicted are in court for multiple offences. Compare that to 40% of non-sexual violence offences reported going to court and a 70% conviction rate (which incidentally is higher than the success rate in court for rape), it does show that there is an issue. I appreciate the difficulty in prosecuting such cases, but there is definitely an 'issue' there

PS in response to what other people have said, I do think it should be criminal offence to make clearly false accusations of this nature. I'm sure a lot of these false accusations fall down fairly completely once it comes to the crunch and I think in those cases where it becomes obvious that the claim was malicious, the accuser should be prosecuted themselves

It seems to work for juveniles :facepalm:

It's not about your name being known, it's about it being published in the media.

I think the theory is with well known people if you get various victims who are unrelated from various parts of the country, telling the same story ala Stuart Hall, then the 'nobody will believe you' shroud is lifted somewhat.

it is a difficult area but the Stuart Hall case proved that without the publicity, he would have carried on with his cowardly public denials and false indignation.

I hope he gets cleared of everything, but I do love seeing that club in turmoil :laugh: :laugh:

Why hope he gets cleared at this stage..? Just as I totally disagree with people being named before being convicted, there is also every chance that he might be guilty!

Let the courts and Jury do their job and hopefully justice will prevail either way.

As an aside, I believe that in cases where false accusations are proven beyond reasonable doubt (this is different to the accused being found not giulty) Women should be charged with something pretty damn serious for causing such distress to innocent people based on a bitter grudge. imo!

I think the theory is with well known people if you get various victims who are unrelated from various parts of the country, telling the same story ala Stuart Hall, then the 'nobody will believe you' shroud is lifted somewhat.

it is a difficult area but the Stuart Hall case proved that without the publicity, he would have carried on with his cowardly public denials and false indignation.

aye but many peoples lifes and careers have been destroyed by people crying wolf some people have even been locked up and later proven it wasn't them,

Every other accused normally remains conferdaential until it goes to trial or even a verdict when should rape (even though its a vile crime) be outside this?

Why hope he gets cleared at this stage..? Just as I totally disagree with people being named before being convicted, there is also every chance that he might be guilty!

Let the courts and Jury do their job and hopefully justice will prevail either way.

As an aside, I believe that in cases where false accusations are proven beyond reasonable doubt (this is different to the accused being found not giulty) Women should be charged with something pretty damn serious for causing such distress to innocent people based on a bitter grudge. imo!

Actually they always are, I think you are confusing a person being found not guilty ala Le Vell, which was purely a he said/she said case.

I guess "perverting the Course of Justice" would count as "pretty damn serious"? You can get 3 years for it....

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/perverting_the_course_of_justice/

aye but many peoples lifes and careers have been destroyed by people crying wolf some people have even been locked up and later proven it wasn't them,

Every other accused normally remains conferdaential until it goes to trial or even a verdict when should rape (even though its a vile crime) be outside this?

As I said it's a difficult area, but the Stuart Hall case proves that it can work, in the special circumstances of 'celebs'.

I watched the documentary last night about the dirty fat arsed Liberal scum bag Cyril Smith, who there is now no doubt whatsoever the police had the evidence to prosecute very early on in his reign of perversion and also had the will to do so, but were prevented by government and the secret services from doing so, because he was part of a coalition government propping up a failing labour party and Harold 'Bloody' Wilson couldn't afford the scandal and even now the then liberal leader David Steel won't say what he knew, I have to say the people who covered for scum like him and Saville are just as guilty IMO.

What I don't understand in the le vell case, why would a young girl randomly pick an actor like that and say what she did.

Was there any connection to her with regards family, just all seemed pretty random and end of the day it's one persons word against another.

Agreed, the strange thing is the CPS originally ruled that the chances of conviction were very low and threw it out but I think they panicked in the light of Stuart Hall and other high profile cases, hopefully more sense will prevail now.

What I don't understand in the le vell case, why would a young girl randomly pick an actor like that and say what she did.

Was there any connection to her with regards family, just all seemed pretty random and end of the day it's one persons word against another.

some people are mentally sick and make things up like this some are innocent and some will make an advance at some only to be turned down so they go and make up a story,

I thought the le vell case smelt fishy every since I started to read about the evedance and the medical exam the young lady in question took,

some people are mentally sick and make things up like this some are innocent and some will make an advance at some only to be turned down so they go and make up a story,

I thought the le vell case smelt fishy every since I started to read about the evedance and the medical exam the young lady in question took,

and sometimes the accused are guilty are found so and sometimes they buy justice, there are stories to be told on both sides, I seem to recall an overwhelming stream of support for Ched Evans on here whilst the case was ongoing and he has since even failed on appeal.

Many celebs and especially footballers should have learned by now, why put yourselves into those sort of situations?, the media is such these days that nothing will remain secret for long, when the prostitute knocked on Rooney's hotel room door what do you think her first thought was? perhaps 'retirement fund' I would have thought.

and sometimes the accused are guilty are found so and sometimes they buy justice, there are stories to be told on both sides, I seem to recall an overwhelming stream of support for Ched Evans on here whilst the case was ongoing and he has since even failed on appeal.

Many celebs and especially footballers should have learned by now, why put yourselves into those sort of situations?, the media is such these days that nothing will remain secret for long, when the prostitute knocked on Rooney's hotel room door what do you think her first thought was? perhaps 'retirement fund' I would have thought.

to be fair celebs and the rich have it different because they are famous or rich enough to put their life back together ater so I can see the against arguement in that instance,

Joe public however are not able to once they've been accused of something like rape or faulsly convicted of something as serious it will stay with them and haunt them forever as people tend to go along the lines of no smoke with out fire etc,

Its a very fine line

I guess "perverting the Course of Justice" would count as "pretty damn serious"? You can get 3 years for it....

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/perverting_the_course_of_justice/

Not enough in my opinion. I'm not talking about 50/50 cases why the defenition of "rape" is decided on a technicality - I'm talking about women using "the rape card" specifically to try and ruin someones life.

to be fair celebs and the rich have it different because they are famous or rich enough to put their life back together ater so I can see the against arguement in that instance,

Joe public however are not able to once they've been accused of something like rape or faulsly convicted of something as serious it will stay with them and haunt them forever as people tend to go along the lines of no smoke with out fire etc,

Its a very fine line

Yes it is and rape cases are generally very difficult to prove (lack of witnesses) and sometimes the publicity brings out a totally unrelated victim and a real rapist is properly dealt with, I cannot see a better way, rape convictions are poor anyway, they would plummet without this IMO.

Yes it is and rape cases are generally very difficult to prove (lack of witnesses) and sometimes the publicity brings out a totally unrelated victim and a real rapist is properly dealt with, I cannot see a better way, rape convictions are poor anyway, they would plummet without this IMO.

so we should hang out innocent people to dry because an alledged victim is always telling the truth?,

Was she brought to justice for it?

No, I thought not.

They do charge them though, where possible:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-23629148

I'm always in two minds at first when it comes to footballers being accused of rape. Part of me always thinks that perhaps the girl is looking for a pay out etc, the other part of me thinks that some footballers think they are untouchable. Although I should wait and see the evidence, I think this is the problem, a lot of people pass judgement straight away one way or another.

I was in halls at University with this pleasant fellow, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8889277/Lord-Boatengs-son-jailed-over-sex-assault.html none of my friends liked him as he was arrogant as sin. When we heard about the first case in South Africa our thoughts were as I just described: "she is probably after money- but I wouldn't put it passed him".

It must be very difficult to make a decision as a jury member without holding any preconceived ideas.

Because, to some people, TV soaps are the real world.

Archived