IGNORED

Elliott & Pack = The New Elliott & Skuse

Dr Balls

I can take all the cr@p that SO'D sends towards the fans but the bottom line is that a central midfield of Elliott & Pack has absolutely no creativity in it. No forward runs, no breaks from midfield, no balls through to Baldock or to JET. It is exactly the same as we had with Elliott & Skuse and look at how many managers tried and failed to make that combination work!

Instead we play hoofball from centre back to a guy who is 5ft 7 (Baldock) and another who cannot jump off the ground or head a ball to save his life (JET). Neither creative or even slightly effective, just a way of bypassing midfield.

We have to play Reid to have any semblance of forward midfield play. He wants the ball and he wants to go forward with it. Pair him with Elliott, pair with Pack, even consider pairing him with Wynter, but we need a midfielder who can look forward, play with his head up and link to the attack. Without Reid we don't have that, as Kilkenny is even worse than the others for looking to pass the buck - backwards!!!

I know we fans are portrayed as Neanderthals who know nothing about football, but the reality is that most of us can spot when we are playing like rubbish. Which is exactly what we are doing right now - and until that changes I'm afraid that the majority of fans at AG are going to remain unhappy. The fact that we look worse every game we play really doesn't help. A little confidence would go along way but the reality is that until the players show something for us to shout about in the league this situation isn't going to improve.

I can take all the cr@p that SO'D sends towards the fans but the bottom line is that a central midfield of Elliott & Pack has absolutely no creativity in it. No forward runs, no breaks from midfield, no balls through to Baldock or to JET. It is exactly the same as we had with Elliott & Skuse and look at how many managers tried and failed to make that combination work!

Instead we play hoofball from centre back to a guy who is 5ft 7 (Baldock) and another who cannot jump off the ground or head a ball to save his life (JET). Neither creative or even slightly effective, just a way of bypassing midfield.

We have to play Reid to have any semblance of forward midfield play. He wants the ball and he wants to go forward with it. Pair him with Elliott, pair with Pack, even consider pairing him with Wynter, but we need a midfielder who can look forward, play with his head up and link to the attack. Without Reid we don't have that, as Kilkenny is even worse than the others for looking to pass the buck - backwards!!!

I know we fans are portrayed as Neanderthals who know nothing about football, but the reality is that most of us can spot when we are playing like rubbish. Which is exactly what we are doing right now - and until that changes I'm afraid that the majority of fans at AG are going to remain unhappy. The fact that we look worse every game we play really doesn't help. A little confidence would go along way but the reality is that until the players show something for us to shout about in the league this situation isn't going to improve.

If Elliott and Pack is as effectively as a central midfield pairing that helped us finish in the Championship safely for 4 years in a row i'd take that.

100 % agree

I've said on another thread I just don't see what Pack brings to the team.

I know he's young and inexperienced at this level and hopefully he'll improve but at the moment he's showing he can't pass, can't tackle, can't shoot and certainly doesn't move about.. he's way too static.

I'm sorry but saying that Pack cant pass is ridiculous! He probably has one of the best passing (granted the passes go sideways and back) percentages of the games that he has played in and is probably one of the only players in our team capable of switching the play across the pitch!

Agree million percent.

Both sit deep and offer us nothing going forward.

So I assume neither of you count Pack's assist last night then?

You know, where he showed desire to track back, win the ball in his own half, turn around, travel with the ball upfield and pass to JET to score.

Granted, he didn't have the greatest all round game last night, but he did actually create our goal with desire, tackling & driving forward.

Pack looked so much more comfortable and effective last night once Elliott was replaced. He seemed to understand his role better, sit deep, pick the ball up from the centre halfs and distribute FORWARD.

Bobby Reid was very impressive last night, but we need to remember that he came in to a 5 man midfield and was clearly instructed to get in to space and link up play, which he did very well. But unless we play 3-5-1 from the start of matches, which I think SOD should consider for home games, Reid won't have that kind of licence normally.

Elliott looked tired and rusty last night. We all know what he can do.

As for Pack, another underwhelming game for him, but when Shrewsbury sat back more in the second half, he did manage to get forward a bit and start threading balls through to our attack.

I can't wait for Kelly to return to take up that in front of defence role he fulfills so well. That should allow Pack to get within effective distance of our front line more often.

I'm not a fan of Elliott... never have been. He's had one good season for us. He's full of energy and desire but can't pass for toffee.

Yesterday it looked like he was trying to play a more 'composed' role, which just isn't his game... he looked lost and ineffective.

I can't see how he fits in our team anymore. I can see why SoD plays him... for a bit of bite... but he has none these days... or none that is effective. We miss someone like Kelly or a Hartley type player in that position.

IMO

Pack cannot play alongside Elliott

Pack can play alongside Reid

Elliott can play alongside Reid 1 in 3 games

Pack can tackle and pass - you lot not seen some of the almost Tinnion-esque crossfield balls to the far touchline when he sits deeper? Pack had an off game last night but was visibly lifted when Reid came on. Would like to see a lot more of Wynter though, him and Reid are being protected too much IMO. Play them more often and if it doesn't work or they tire, bring on your Elliott's, Harewood's, Burns' etc

I'm not a fan of Elliott... never have been. He's had one good season for us. He's full of energy and desire but can't pass for toffee.

Myth.

He played plenty of decent passes backwards, sideways and forwards.

Pack played far more passes that were intercepted.

If you weren't a fan I might say you have an agenda...oh wait...!

Archived