IGNORED

Hardest Shot?

Bazooka Joe

JET has already scored some spectacular goals from long range, and hopefully there'll be a lot more of the same.

A bud of mine reckons Terry Bush had a much harder shot. He once scored with a bullet of a shot from the halfway line (apparently there is an article to back this up in the Evil Post archives).

I saw Jimmy Mann and Norman Hunter score some cracking goals at Ashton Gate, but I still reckon JET may have the hardest shot.

Are there any other City contenders?

I was there for that Terry Bush shot. Seriously powerful :)

Big John had a powerful shot, but his headers were the hardest I've ever seen. I saw him knock out Bolton keeper Eddie Hopkinson with one from the area of the penalty spot. I don't think many players could KICK it that hard :o

Big John had a powerful shot, but his headers were the hardest I've ever seen. I saw him knock out Bolton keeper Eddie Hopkinson with one from the area of the penalty spot. I don't think many players could KICK it that hard :o

Hardest header was Galley against brum from roughly same position Jet scored against Gash !

Terry Bush's effort was truely epic, not only from H/W line ,but out on the right wing !

Bush had thighs as big as tree trunks (excuse the pun), a barrel-chest, and a really thick neck.

He was a quiet guy off the field, but a monster when riled.

Going way back I was there as a just a lad when Johnny Watkins scored with a shot that broke the net. Same era Peter Hooper had a hell of shot as well. The wet leather balls were a lot heavier in those days. In more recent times Walshy could certainly hit 'em as well.[/quoteiI'

I'd have to agree with Peter Hooper. He spent a fair part of his career with the gas but still had some good games for City. One thing I can remember was his shots never seemed to get more than one inch above the grass which made it difficult for keepers to get down to stop them ]

David Noble's beauty against Palace in the play offs was memorable, especially when taken in the context of the importance of the match.

On a basis of consistency has to be Alan Walsh. Whenever we had a free kick just outside the box, the anticipation was tremendous. He seemed to hit it so hard that it often went through the wall, and even if it got deflected there was still a goal threat. Plus the fact that the GK was always likely to spill it if bulleted through. Also, his reputation for being able to give it some "welly" gave us a psychological advantage as the defence always looked like they were kacking it!

As other posters have mentioned, Jimmy Mann and Rob Newman had a fearsome shot.

Mickey Bell was more Beckham-esque, left foot bend more than wallop, Trundle likewise.

JET has already scored some spectacular goals from long range, and hopefully there'll be a lot more of the same.

A bud of mine reckons Terry Bush had a much harder shot. He once scored with a bullet of a shot from the halfway line (apparently there is an article to back this up in the Evil Post archives).

I saw Jimmy Mann and Norman Hunter score some cracking goals at Ashton Gate, but I still reckon JET may have the hardest shot.

Are there any other City contenders?

Jimmy Mann against Peter Shiltons Forest, what a shot , 1-1 draw I think, 1979ish? - anyone got any footage of that?

I remember Rob Newman once scoring against Newport with a thunderbolt!

I was there, he really caught that one. Biff could strike a ball hard when he wanted.

Matt Bryant vs Stoke once scored with an absolute bullet.

As others have said, Walshy could ping one when occasion arose.

More recently, I'd say the "cleanest" striker of a ball was Maynard.

Archived