IGNORED

Hardest Shot?

Bazooka Joe

Regarding the likes of Atyeo, Bush and others from that era you also have to take into consideration the balls in use. Real leather, had to have dubbin applied prior to every game, I know because I did it for my dad's team, Locomotive Sports in the Bristol Wednesday League, and then for my own team once I started playing. As soon as they got wet they weighed a ton. Bit different these days with the balls being almost like those used on the beach.

Just reading through this post for a non-important reason, but!

Goodness. I can only vaguely remember, so you must both be bloody old!.

I've aged considerably watching City over the years!

Lets face it if any of the modern footballers hit the the old style leather ball with laces. They'd be out injured for about 3 months!

I was going to post this, I don't think you can compare players between eras, even likes of Walshie and Jimmy Mann were hitting a ball much heavier than today. The ball in the Atyeo era used to change weight depending on the weather conditions, I had an old ball with laces growing up and it felt like kicking concrete when it got wet. Remember that when you see replays of Bobby Charltons goals in the 60's!

Taking into account all of the above, I would say Jimmy Mann would be probably come out at the top, the ball was still heavy but he could still hit it like a bullet.

Jimmy Mann against Forest is probably the single most memorable one, but for consistently producing them, Alan Walsh.

One of those times when if you got a free kick within 25 yards of goal you'd always feel we had a chance of a goal! Remember one v West Ham, I think, when the keeper got behind it but it was so hard it knocked him across the line!

Whenever I watch JET before the match shooting one on one against Dave Richards he seems to effortlessly just smash it and it will still be hard then when he really hits the ball its like a cannon.

Never seen a City player have such natural power in a shot all he needs to do is take a swipe of the left boot

Atyeo could head a ball harder than anybody I've seen, but for pure power of shot it has to be Peter Hooper.

I reckon Galley could head 'em harder than Big John but I were only a lad when Atyeo was playing.

And I'd also nit-pick over Hooper, and give it to Jonny Watkins, just!

But we'll never know, and these days when he's in the mood (and in the team) Jet has a fair bit of power in that left peg of his!

I was going to post this, I don't think you can compare players between eras, even likes of Walshie and Jimmy Mann were hitting a ball much heavier than today. The ball in the Atyeo era used to change weight depending on the weather conditions, I had an old ball with laces growing up and it felt like kicking concrete when it got wet. Remember that when you see replays of Bobby Charltons goals in the 60's!

Taking into account all of the above, I would say Jimmy Mann would be probably come out at the top, the ball was still heavy but he could still hit it like a bullet.

I have a picture in my mind of an old football, lying against a wall, with a pair of laces growing up a bean pole.

Jimmy Mann for me as well.

Archived