IGNORED

'this Season Could Be A Right Struggle' - O'Driscoll

Red_Jim

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/story-19815780-detail/story.html?#axzz2fKM5oEkp

I'm not saying he's wrong, but doesn't someone want to hear a bit of fire from the manager? A rallying call if you like. He's well within his rights to say it's going to be a struggle - I certainly know it is - but can't he come out fighting a little bit. I can't help but feel totally depressed whenever I hear from him at the moment, it seems like he doesn't believe that we should be doing better than we are, and that we are settling for another season of struggle.

I'm not one for cliches and soundbites, but I just want to hear him trying to unite the fans with him and the team. He seems to be approaching this with a 'us' (him and the players) versus the supporters mentality at the moment. I think what we need right now is a bit of unity, and he is making me feel more distant from my team than ever.

I'm sure I will get criticised, and I'm not someone who wants him out, but I feel so uninspired and detached from the guy.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/story-19815780-detail/story.html?#axzz2fKM5oEkp

I'm not saying he's wrong, but doesn't someone want to hear a bit of fire from the manager? A rallying call if you like. He's well within his rights to say it's going to be a struggle - I certainly know it is - but can't he come out fighting a little bit. I can't help but feel totally depressed whenever I hear from him at the moment, it seems like he doesn't believe that we should be doing better than we are, and that we are settling for another season of struggle.

I'm not one for cliches and soundbites, but I just want to hear him trying to unite the fans with him and the team. He seems to be approaching this with a 'us' (him and the players) versus the supporters mentality at the moment. I think what we need right now is a bit of unity, and he is making me feel more distant from my team than ever.

I'm sure I will get criticised, and I'm not someone who wants him out, but I feel so uninspired and detached from the guy.

Erm...have you checked www.bcfc.co.uk today? It's the story entitled "We must stick together".

I don't read it like that ,i just think he's trying to be realistic with regards to our actual position and to protect the players from too much pressure.

I admire his honesty.

There's a guy where i work who is full on ,hyper positive that he's going to close this ,that or another deal.The problem with this approach is when it does n't come off there is disappointment and a big loss of confidence and trust all round.

I prefer to be upfront with my clients and keep thèm on board.

Don't say it's better ,it's just more coherent.

For some reason the club has struggled for a long while. Managers and players have come and gone and still the struggle continues. Finance has always been available so we can't blame funding. Something else is either fundamentally wrong or BCFC is a very 'unlucky' club.

The likely public start of it all going wrong was the Gary Johnson incident at Plymouth with Sproule and the falling out with Basso. That was a tight knit team at one point, it was exciting and there was some talent, albeit, some of it very under used (Trundle being the prime example). we had the spine of a team then. Some might think it is a shame things were not resolved between club, manager and players so that Johnson was still here. The club doesn't look too healthy now or promising on the field. Oh for the old days!

How many seasons did it take Swansea until it clicked? It doesn't happen over night. Why some people are City fans I really don't know. They are more happy when we fail and they are proved right than when we're successful and they are proved wrong.

I think you've answered your own question there. If they supported Man Ure they'd have nothing to moan about

Fair points made by all. Just like to point out I have never been the type of City fan who criticises in the hope he is proved right. All I care about is the team doing well, and if they prove my fears wrong then fantastic.

I just feel underwhelmed by the guy, but to be honest I've had a gut-full since Johnson left and I've become increasingly negative. Apologies, maybe not my best thought out post, just said how I was feeling - can understand why people disagree!

I don't feel any connection with the club, I posted my thoughts in another thread, and I guess O'Driscoll is bearing most of that burden, which is unfair.

I was a big Gary Johnson fan and I felt he knew how to unite a club, O'Driscoll is a different character and that's something I have to get used to. Let's hope he can turn this sinking ship around.

He's simply managing expectations. I love his interviews as they are different from most managers. Why not be honest?

You say you don't like cliches and sound bites but that seems to be exactly what you are asking for.

Good comment.

The thing is we are well and truly up to our knees in it at the moment. I think tues was the lowest point for a long time. " A draw at home to Shrewsbury " What can O.D do though ? You can't always polish a turd !

I want to hear the manager telling the truth.

I remember quite a few years back now when Forest Green Rovers were managed by a chap called Tim Harris. He wrote a pre-season preview column in the local paper in which he started out saying his team could make the playoffs, then in the same article attempted to cover himself by revising his estimates further and further down. The only impression I got from that was that he had no idea how good his team was, something which was confirmed a few weeks into the season when he was sacked with his side in the relegation zone.

There's an extent to which managers over or underplay the potential of their team for different psychological effects but there's no point at all in claiming possibilities that are simply beyond the team. If he says publically right now that this team can make the playoffs he'll just look daft because playing as they are there's no way that'll happen.

Fair points made by all. Just like to point out I have never been the type of City fan who criticises in the hope he is proved right. All I care about is the team doing well, and if they prove my fears wrong then fantastic.

I just feel underwhelmed by the guy, but to be honest I've had a gut-full since Johnson left and I've become increasingly negative. Apologies, maybe not my best thought out post, just said how I was feeling - can understand why people disagree!

I don't feel any connection with the club, I posted my thoughts in another thread, and I guess O'Driscoll is bearing most of that burden, which is unfair.

I was a big Gary Johnson fan and I felt he knew how to unite a club, O'Driscoll is a different character and that's something I have to get used to. Let's hope he can turn this sinking ship around.

If it makes you feel any better you have pretty much summed up my feelings. Whilst I'd never boo or publicly criticise SOD, underwhelming is the first word that always springs to mind about him. Here's hoping we're proved horribly wrong and we can look back and laugh at just how wrong we were. The one ray of light I try to remind myself of, is the shocking run of defeats we went through with Johnson. He did alright in the end didn't he? (Despite some peoples denial).

If it makes you feel any better you have pretty much summed up my feelings. Whilst I'd never boo or publicly criticise SOD, underwhelming is the first word that always springs to mind about him. Here's hoping we're proved horribly wrong and we can look back and laugh at just how wrong we were. The one ray of light I try to remind myself of, is the shocking run of defeats we went through with Johnson. He did alright in the end didn't he? (Despite some peoples denial).

That seems to be what a lot of people are pinning their hopes on. Just because it went that way for GJ doesn't mean history will repeat itself.

It's like all those posters who like to refer to our 5-2 defeat at the hands of SOD's Donnie side a few years back, they'll happily bring that game up but never mention the 4-1 drubbing we gave them the season before.

But hopefully things will turn around and as you say we'll all look back and laugh.

He's simply managing expectations. I love his interviews as they are different from most managers. Why not be honest?

You say you don't like cliches and sound bites but that seems to be exactly what you are asking for.

It's like in post match interviews when you get a dodgy penalty, Just say it wasn't penalty!! None of this I haven't seen it yet or it looked like it was from where I was stood

Cometh The hour cometh the man! Can't see it with this fella, and I hope I am wrong. It's simply not how he is. A bit of sabre rattling and the old Dunkirk spirit would galvanize more than mumbling ( which does come across occasionally as whining in a Black country brogue). I seriously have visions of 82 again, albeit without the 8 year (!!) deals and complete financial meltdown.

Swansea were also debt free having just come out of admin and had also moved to a modern, new stadium provided for them free of charge by the local council.

Important advantages that never get mentioned when the Swansea'success story is told.

If they hadn't taken admin (no points deductions back then) and hadn't had the good fortune of a generous council, Swansea would be still scuffing around in the lower divisions or possibly out of existence altogether.

Absolute pillock he should be trying to inspire the players and galvanise the fans especially at this early stage of the season,even if he thinks it he shouldnt say it, cant think of any other manager in the football league who is so downbeat and depressing to listen to, i think you should always have a positive outlook even when the odds are stacked against you im'e afraid i have now lost all faith in him.

Absolute pillock he should be trying to inspire the players and galvanise the fans especially at this early stage of the season,even if he thinks it he shouldnt say it, cant think of any other manager in the football league who is so downbeat and depressing to listen to, i think you should always have a positive outlook even when the odds are stacked against you im'e afraid i have now lost all faith in him.

Would you prefer this chap as manager then? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comical_Ali

What I'd like to ask is "Why is it that every time a new manager arrives at a club, we must suffer a 'bedding in' or 'team building' period of dire stuff? What is it about the mentality of our club that this has become almost a ritual every time a new man comes in?

We are supposed to be talking about professional people here, yet EVERY time there is the "we can't be world beaters from the off" or "you think we're a huge club" or "you think we should get promotion" or "you have to be patient" or "you're so fickle".

No, we're not a "huge club", but then, neither are Swansea, Norwich, Southampton, Hull City, Cardiff, etc. etc. These clubs have shown that with the right management and a professional outlook, success can be achieved.

For me, this so-called "team building" is just a load of manager-speak for keeping him in the job longer than he would normally have been. People moan about chopping and changing managers but it doesn't seem to have done some of the above teams much harm, does it?

Hull - 4 managers in 3 years since Phil Brown

Swansea - 3 managers in 4 years since Roberto Martinez

Southampton - 3 managers in 3 years since Alan Pardew

Bristol City - 4 managers in 3 years since Johnson

Now look where we are compared to them. Hull City have been in the top tier TWICE in that time.

What I'm trying to say, is that it doesn't necessarily follow that we have to put up with garbage under the name of "new regime" or "team building". We have suffered this for many years, watching clubs fall through the leagues (Southampton, Norwich, Leeds, etc.), only to have them rise and surpass us again, while we continue to plod along serving up mediocre stuff at best.

What it needs is a professional management team with enough experience to put the same wheels in motion for us. I firmly believe O'Driscoll will not get anywhere with the team and by Christmas we will be staring the 4th division in the face, when all the time it just didn't need to be that way. Meanwhile the faithful suffer and make excuses for incompetent management.

For me, the club has stagnated under Lansdown. Lansdown, being a wealthy man, had the financial clout to bring in a senior management team and manager who know their stuff, yet didn't. His appointments have been average, at best. Lansdown's promise of the golden era with a new ground and bright days ahead is just rhetoric, and smacks of the days when Russe promised that City would be in the Premier League in 5 years. Lansdown was given an opportunity to make history with BCFC and blew it when we failed in the play-off final 5 years ago. It's been all downhill since then.

As a supporter of over 50 years, I finally had enough a couple of seasons back and handed back my season ticket. Since that time, I have been to the ground just 3 times in total. That is how much this current management has driven me away. I enjoy myself more playing with my 2yo grandson on a Saturday now - some things are more important in life than the struggles of a 2-bit professional football club whose management can't comprehend that they are driving away a fanbase that has showed time and again that, if you give them a big occasion, they will turn out in their thousands to support.

I have no doubt at all that Bristol could, and would, support a Premier League team, we just need a management team that are capable of giving us that.

What people want to see is not promotion, not even play-offs - they want to see IMPROVEMENT. If a manager can show that the team is improving, learning lessons, becoming harder to beat, keeping clean sheets and scoring goals, they will be happy. The fact is, it did not happen last season under O'Driscoll, and it's not happening now.

People may scoff at my opinion and throw it in my face because I no longer go to the ground regularly. That's fine, and they are entitled to their opinion, as I am to mine. However, I do have a modicum of intelligence and watch reports and read articles. For all the so-called "improvements" that some claim that O'Driscoll has instilled, the bottom line is, we are still playing poorly and suffering with results.

Hull - 4 managers in 3 years since Phil Brown - also been relegated, spent in PL to avoid going down, spent to get back up, think Bruce done good job though

Swansea - 3 managers in 4 years since Roberto Martinez - had philosophy and foundations in place that every managerial appointment continued from where left off = continuity and stability

Southampton - 3 managers in 3 years since Alan Pardew - same bloke got them promoted twice in that time, spent big since been back in PL

Bristol City - 4 managers in 3 years since Johnson - don't need to say anything except the spent big bit hasn't worked out quite so well for us!

What I'd like to ask is "Why is it that every time a new manager arrives at a club, we must suffer a 'bedding in' or 'team building' period of dire stuff? What is it about the mentality of our club that this has become almost a ritual every time a new man comes in?

We are supposed to be talking about professional people here, yet EVERY time there is the "we can't be world beaters from the off" or "you think we're a huge club" or "you think we should get promotion" or "you have to be patient" or "you're so fickle".

No, we're not a "huge club", but then, neither are Swansea, Norwich, Southampton, Hull City, Cardiff, etc. etc. These clubs have shown that with the right management and a professional outlook, success can be achieved.

For me, this so-called "team building" is just a load of manager-speak for keeping him in the job longer than he would normally have been. People moan about chopping and changing managers but it doesn't seem to have done some of the above teams much harm, does it?

Now look where we are compared to them. Hull City have been in the top tier TWICE in that time.

What I'm trying to say, is that it doesn't necessarily follow that we have to put up with garbage under the name of "new regime" or "team building". We have suffered this for many years, watching clubs fall through the leagues (Southampton, Norwich, Leeds, etc.), only to have them rise and surpass us again, while we continue to plod along serving up mediocre stuff at best.

What it needs is a professional management team with enough experience to put the same wheels in motion for us. I firmly believe O'Driscoll will not get anywhere with the team and by Christmas we will be staring the 4th division in the face, when all the time it just didn't need to be that way. Meanwhile the faithful suffer and make excuses for incompetent management.

For me, the club has stagnated under Lansdown. Lansdown, being a wealthy man, had the financial clout to bring in a senior management team and manager who know their stuff, yet didn't. His appointments have been average, at best. Lansdown's promise of the golden era with a new ground and bright days ahead is just rhetoric, and smacks of the days when Russe promised that City would be in the Premier League in 5 years. Lansdown was given an opportunity to make history with BCFC and blew it when we failed in the play-off final 5 years ago. It's been all downhill since then.

As a supporter of over 50 years, I finally had enough a couple of seasons back and handed back my season ticket. Since that time, I have been to the ground just 3 times in total. That is how much this current management has driven me away. I enjoy myself more playing with my 2yo grandson on a Saturday now - some things are more important in life than the struggles of a 2-bit professional football club whose management can't comprehend that they are driving away a fanbase that has showed time and again that, if you give them a big occasion, they will turn out in their thousands to support.

I have no doubt at all that Bristol could, and would, support a Premier League team, we just need a management team that are capable of giving us that.

What people want to see is not promotion, not even play-offs - they want to see IMPROVEMENT. If a manager can show that the team is improving, learning lessons, becoming harder to beat, keeping clean sheets and scoring goals, they will be happy. The fact is, it did not happen last season under O'Driscoll, and it's not happening now.

People may scoff at my opinion and throw it in my face because I no longer go to the ground regularly. That's fine, and they are entitled to their opinion, as I am to mine. However, I do have a modicum of intelligence and watch reports and read articles. For all the so-called "improvements" that some claim that O'Driscoll has instilled, the bottom line is, we are still playing poorly and suffering with results.

Malky Mackay had just 7 senior professionals when he arrived at Cardiff, but still managed to take them to the play-offs and the CC cup final in his first year, second season he got them promoted as champions.

Brendan Rodgers, Paul Lambert and Nigel Adkins all got teams promoted from the Championship in their first season.

To be fair he hasn't had a lot to shout about, I'm sure if, sorry when, results pick up you'd see a changed SOD.

I would definitely tell my employers that I was gonna perform shit for the next 12 months if I could.

Covers my ass doesnt it?

Interesting approach...

It's similar to the Harry Redknapp approach.

When he was at Portsmouth he was always saying if he didn't get money for players they'd struggle to stay up, at Spurs he'd say they'd fail to get in the Champions League.

Used car salesmen spring to mind.

Malky Mackay had just 7 senior professionals when he arrived at Cardiff, but still managed to take them to the play-offs and the CC cup final in his first year, second season he got them promoted as champions.

Brendan Rodgers, Paul Lambert and Nigel Adkins all got teams promoted from the Championship in their first season.

Lambert and Adkins had settled teams that had both got promoted the year before. They added players to already settled squads that had a way of playing, knew each other and were used to winning games. Like we're seeing with Bradford now. Rodgers inherited a team that finished 7th the year before only missing out on the play-offs on the last day of the season because they drew at home, ironically with SOD's Donny. While I take your point on Mackay he had cash to spend. He spent it well but it was there. We've pretty much started from scratch this summer with an empty tin.

Getting money in for a couple of players has probably meant we could pay a fee for Flint and something for Williams but outside of that the cupboard seems pretty bare.

Anyone still going on about other team's being jealous of our budget, would they be jealous of most of that budget still being used up by Fontaine, Pearson, Kilkenny, players they couldn't even play? Even Baldock and Elliott who are playing regularly will be blowing that budget apart.

Superb post.

I'm not particularly interested in how much he wants to play it down. There's no hiding from the fact that no wins from seven league matches (four at home) in league one is simply not good enough. He's a dedicated coach that's been freed up from a lot of other duties that every manager before him has had to deal with. Transition or not, we should be doing a lot better. All teams in the division have had a turnover of players, some similar to us and they all have money constraints. How we've allowed a team in total disarray, no home ground, starting on -10 points, put 5 goals past us and climb above us in the table this early in the season is nothing short of shocking.

For me, we've started the season with a team that's simply too lightweight for this division. Come November I can easily see us in the sort of mess we were in when Johnson took over.

Archived