IGNORED

'this Season Could Be A Right Struggle' - O'Driscoll

Red_Jim

Absolute pillock he should be trying to inspire the players and galvanise the fans especially at this early stage of the season,even if he thinks it he shouldnt say it, cant think of any other manager in the football league who is so downbeat and depressing to listen to, i think you should always have a positive outlook even when the odds are stacked against you im'e afraid i have now lost all faith in him.

Calls to the Samaritans increase four-fold during and after SOD's interviews.

What I'd like to ask is "Why is it that every time a new manager arrives at a club, we must suffer a 'bedding in' or 'team building' period of dire stuff? What is it about the mentality of our club that this has become almost a ritual every time a new man comes in?

We are supposed to be talking about professional people here, yet EVERY time there is the "we can't be world beaters from the off" or "you think we're a huge club" or "you think we should get promotion" or "you have to be patient" or "you're so fickle".

No, we're not a "huge club", but then, neither are Swansea, Norwich, Southampton, Hull City, Cardiff, etc. etc. These clubs have shown that with the right management and a professional outlook, success can be achieved.

For me, this so-called "team building" is just a load of manager-speak for keeping him in the job longer than he would normally have been. People moan about chopping and changing managers but it doesn't seem to have done some of the above teams much harm, does it?

Hull - 4 managers in 3 years since Phil Brown

Swansea - 3 managers in 4 years since Roberto Martinez

Southampton - 3 managers in 3 years since Alan Pardew

Bristol City - 4 managers in 3 years since Johnson

Now look where we are compared to them. Hull City have been in the top tier TWICE in that time.

What I'm trying to say, is that it doesn't necessarily follow that we have to put up with garbage under the name of "new regime" or "team building". We have suffered this for many years, watching clubs fall through the leagues (Southampton, Norwich, Leeds, etc.), only to have them rise and surpass us again, while we continue to plod along serving up mediocre stuff at best.

What it needs is a professional management team with enough experience to put the same wheels in motion for us. I firmly believe O'Driscoll will not get anywhere with the team and by Christmas we will be staring the 4th division in the face, when all the time it just didn't need to be that way. Meanwhile the faithful suffer and make excuses for incompetent management.

For me, the club has stagnated under Lansdown. Lansdown, being a wealthy man, had the financial clout to bring in a senior management team and manager who know their stuff, yet didn't. His appointments have been average, at best. Lansdown's promise of the golden era with a new ground and bright days ahead is just rhetoric, and smacks of the days when Russe promised that City would be in the Premier League in 5 years. Lansdown was given an opportunity to make history with BCFC and blew it when we failed in the play-off final 5 years ago. It's been all downhill since then.

As a supporter of over 50 years, I finally had enough a couple of seasons back and handed back my season ticket. Since that time, I have been to the ground just 3 times in total. That is how much this current management has driven me away. I enjoy myself more playing with my 2yo grandson on a Saturday now - some things are more important in life than the struggles of a 2-bit professional football club whose management can't comprehend that they are driving away a fanbase that has showed time and again that, if you give them a big occasion, they will turn out in their thousands to support.

I have no doubt at all that Bristol could, and would, support a Premier League team, we just need a management team that are capable of giving us that.

What people want to see is not promotion, not even play-offs - they want to see IMPROVEMENT. If a manager can show that the team is improving, learning lessons, becoming harder to beat, keeping clean sheets and scoring goals, they will be happy. The fact is, it did not happen last season under O'Driscoll, and it's not happening now.

People may scoff at my opinion and throw it in my face because I no longer go to the ground regularly. That's fine, and they are entitled to their opinion, as I am to mine. However, I do have a modicum of intelligence and watch reports and read articles. For all the so-called "improvements" that some claim that O'Driscoll has instilled, the bottom line is, we are still playing poorly and suffering with results.

a-f*cking-men!!

Here Here. People hold SOD on some weird pedestal like he can do no wrong, and also we all have to forget last season as it wasn't his fault.

Wolves away last season, he ******* bottled it when they were there for the taking hes as much to blame for last season as Mccinnes. and now this season hes blaming the fans because his bunch of incompetent Muppets cant string 2 passes together. This season has started off poorly and to me has gotten worse no one is to blame apart from SOD.

Its no wonder the players dont know what to do when you change formation 4 times in 1 match

Absolute pillock he should be trying to inspire the players and galvanise the fans especially at this early stage of the season,even if he thinks it he shouldnt say it, cant think of any other manager in the football league who is so downbeat and depressing to listen to, i think you should always have a positive outlook even when the odds are stacked against you im'e afraid i have now lost all faith in him.

Where's your positive outlook!!

The manager is just being honest,would you rather him lie and say we will soon be in the top 2?

Here Here. People hold SOD on some weird pedestal like he can do no wrong, and also we all have to forget last season as it wasn't his fault.

Wolves away last season, he ******* bottled it when they were there for the taking hes as much to blame for last season as Mccinnes. and now this season hes blaming the fans because his bunch of incompetent Muppets cant string 2 passes together. This season has started off poorly and to me has gotten worse no one is to blame apart from SOD.

Its no wonder the players dont know what to do when you change formation 4 times in 1 match

And we did actually move out of the bottom three under his control at one stage.

Where's your positive outlook!!

The manager is just being honest,would you rather him lie and say we will soon be in the top 2?

Sorry , but you can't blame the fans for draining players confidence one minute, then in the next breath basically state that the players will struggle to attain a comfortable mid table position.

Sorry , but you can't blame the fans for draining players confidence one minute, then in the next breath basically state that the players will struggle to attain a comfortable mid table position.

Why not? Or will draining their confidence help them to attain that position?

You'd be naive to think that he holds meetings with his players and tells them they're not good enough and that they'll struggle.

Behind closed doors, he'll be motivating his players as much as any manager.

SOD is being pretty honest here. But it's more of a plea to fans to stop booing players who've only played 7 games and a request, possibly try to get behind them instead.

I'm amazed at some of our support this season. New players are being boo'd after playing only 7 games for us. I might spell it out, yes SEVEN GAMES. I've never known anything like it. What other "fans" have given new players 7 games before they start getting the bird?

So far this season, this team of mostly new players to the club have been boo'd off at half time v Wolves, half time & full time v Cov, half time and full time v P'Boro and the same v Shrews. They've played 7 games and have been boo'd off the pitch in 4 of them (it probably happened v Bradford as well, but I can't remember).

Unbelievable support chaps.

You'd be naive to think that he holds meetings with his players and tells them they're not good enough and that they'll struggle.

Behind closed doors, he'll be motivating his players as much as any manager.

SOD is being pretty honest here. But it's more of a plea to fans to stop booing players who've only played 7 games and a request, possibly try to get behind them instead.

I'm amazed at some of our support this season. New players are being boo'd after playing only 7 games for us. I might spell it out, yes SEVEN GAMES. I've never known anything like it. What other "fans" have given new players 7 games before they start getting the bird?

So far this season, this team of mostly new players to the club have been boo'd off at half time v Wolves, half time & full time v Cov, half time and full time v P'Boro and the same v Shrews. They've played 7 games and have been boo'd off the pitch in 4 of them (it probably happened v Bradford as well, but I can't remember).

Unbelievable support chaps.

Harry, 7 games yes, but there was a fair bit of experience out there on tuesday night not a team of kids that is being claimed by some.

I read your bit about the midfield my take is thus, the midfield like our midfields of the past 5 seasons back off, back off and then back off and then a defender lunges and gives away dangerous free kicks or worse a penalty or even worse again the ball is just walked in and between the opponents 18 yard box and our own there is not a worthwhile challenge. Now Pack I believe has sort of figured this out and usually commits his rash tackles on the half way line (the best place) but Pack is not an organiser and we don't have a midfield organiser in the squad, the problem is if the midfield is incapable of controlling games then the defence is under far too much pressure and eventually we will concede. I take on board your comment also about mistakes costing us, again that has been a problem for 5 years and I believe a symptom of a weak midfield as is the defence lumping long aimless balls.

Also the club needs to unearth a striker and quickly, we are struggling now and an injury to Baldock and we will be in all kinds of shit.

Rightfully or wrongfully he's been lowering fans expectations ever since he got here.

On one hand I would like to hear a bit more positive talk but on the other hand I respect that he's straight with the fans.

Lowering fans' expectations is one way to see it. Getting your excuses in early is another...

Look Ffs Sod is a boring old fart thats what he is but has started uz playing the right way. What he needs is someone in the back grouund giving the fire the passion getting fhe players to believe to go further to believe..............I say that is our job. But sadly we are are full of boring old and young farts t hat think passion is all about criticism and whinging. .......

What I'd like to ask is "Why is it that every time a new manager arrives at a club, we must suffer a 'bedding in' or 'team building' period of dire stuff? What is it about the mentality of our club that this has become almost a ritual every time a new man comes in?

We are supposed to be talking about professional people here, yet EVERY time there is the "we can't be world beaters from the off" or "you think we're a huge club" or "you think we should get promotion" or "you have to be patient" or "you're so fickle".

No, we're not a "huge club", but then, neither are Swansea, Norwich, Southampton, Hull City, Cardiff, etc. etc. These clubs have shown that with the right management and a professional outlook, success can be achieved.

For me, this so-called "team building" is just a load of manager-speak for keeping him in the job longer than he would normally have been. People moan about chopping and changing managers but it doesn't seem to have done some of the above teams much harm, does it?

Now look where we are compared to them. Hull City have been in the top tier TWICE in that time.

What I'm trying to say, is that it doesn't necessarily follow that we have to put up with garbage under the name of "new regime" or "team building". We have suffered this for many years, watching clubs fall through the leagues (Southampton, Norwich, Leeds, etc.), only to have them rise and surpass us again, while we continue to plod along serving up mediocre stuff at best.

What it needs is a professional management team with enough experience to put the same wheels in motion for us. I firmly believe O'Driscoll will not get anywhere with the team and by Christmas we will be staring the 4th division in the face, when all the time it just didn't need to be that way. Meanwhile the faithful suffer and make excuses for incompetent management.

For me, the club has stagnated under Lansdown. Lansdown, being a wealthy man, had the financial clout to bring in a senior management team and manager who know their stuff, yet didn't. His appointments have been average, at best. Lansdown's promise of the golden era with a new ground and bright days ahead is just rhetoric, and smacks of the days when Russe promised that City would be in the Premier League in 5 years. Lansdown was given an opportunity to make history with BCFC and blew it when we failed in the play-off final 5 years ago. It's been all downhill since then.

As a supporter of over 50 years, I finally had enough a couple of seasons back and handed back my season ticket. Since that time, I have been to the ground just 3 times in total. That is how much this current management has driven me away. I enjoy myself more playing with my 2yo grandson on a Saturday now - some things are more important in life than the struggles of a 2-bit professional football club whose management can't comprehend that they are driving away a fanbase that has showed time and again that, if you give them a big occasion, they will turn out in their thousands to support.

I have no doubt at all that Bristol could, and would, support a Premier League team, we just need a management team that are capable of giving us that.

What people want to see is not promotion, not even play-offs - they want to see IMPROVEMENT. If a manager can show that the team is improving, learning lessons, becoming harder to beat, keeping clean sheets and scoring goals, they will be happy. The fact is, it did not happen last season under O'Driscoll, and it's not happening now.

People may scoff at my opinion and throw it in my face because I no longer go to the ground regularly. That's fine, and they are entitled to their opinion, as I am to mine. However, I do have a modicum of intelligence and watch reports and read articles. For all the so-called "improvements" that some claim that O'Driscoll has instilled, the bottom line is, we are still playing poorly and suffering with results.

100% Agree!

Any manager who is decent should be able to come in, take stock, work out the best players, form a spine of the team and perform from the first game - they should be able to work with any player and then tweak the squad when required. When SOD came in last season we were in a position where we could survive, we even won a couple of games playing in the same way but then instead of continuing to play like that until the end of the season he decided to change the way we were playing why we still were not safe. To me he should have made sure we were safe first and then implemented those changes before the new season if that's what he wanted to do.

100% Agree!

Any manager who is decent should be able to come in, take stock, work out the best players, form a spine of the team and perform from the first game - they should be able to work with any player and then tweak the squad when required. When SOD came in last season we were in a position where we could survive, we even won a couple of games playing in the same way but then instead of continuing to play like that until the end of the season he decided to change the way we were playing why we still were not safe. To me he should have made sure we were safe first and then implemented those changes before the new season if that's what he wanted to do.

Sorry but that's just bollocks. He changed what we were doing when he came in, brought Anderson back in and made Stead the focal point, admittedly after arguably getting lucky when Taylor got injured against Ipswich. When you say he 'decided' to change the way we played do you mean when Stead got injured in the last game we won? What we did was effective to that point but needed a target man to hold the ball up and bring others into play, which is what Stead was good at.

When he got injured we tried Davies in that role but it wasn't as effective. Problem was to get the best out of Davies and Baldock as front two we needed a midfield that could lay what they wanted on for them, while winning the midfield battle, and we didn't have those players. We had a total mish-mash of players last season, which didn't work as a team together. The only game we tried to do what we're trying to do now was at Derby and we got mullered, which even SOD admitted afterwards was wrong.

But to say he decided to change isn't right, his hand was forced by Stead's injury. I'm sure if Stead had stayed fit the rest of the season he wouldn't have changed anything. Why would he, we'd won 5 straight home games playing that way.

I seem to be one of the only ones who disagrees with this. There are a small number of clubs that have switched managers frequently and still done well. But many, many others who switch managers and don't do well.

Often, changing managers can lead to a short term improvement, but not fix things in the medium to long term. Exhibit A: step forward Mr Derek McInnes. Most of us thought he was an excellent choice, and he kept us up - JUST - for one season. He was young and media-friendly, and enjoyed much more goodwill from fans than SO'D. But we all know what happened last season.

DMC is probably a good manager. He did really well at St Johnstone, and Aberdeen seem to have faith in him (he's had a good start to the season). But what he did here was a just a temporary fix.

If the foundations are right, then perhaps a new manager can come in and carry on quite happily. But if big changes are needed, then they need to happen sooner or later. Exhibit B: Gary Johnson's handgrenade.

Provided we are not relegated SO'D will have my full support all season.

Sorry but that's just bollocks. He changed what we were doing when he came in, brought Anderson back in and made Stead the focal point, admittedly after arguably getting lucky when Taylor got injured against Ipswich. When you say he 'decided' to change the way we played do you mean when Stead got injured in the last game we won? What we did was effective to that point but needed a target man to hold the ball up and bring others into play, which is what Stead was good at.

When he got injured we tried Davies in that role but it wasn't as effective. Problem was to get the best out of Davies and Baldock as front two we needed a midfield that could lay what they wanted on for them, while winning the midfield battle, and we didn't have those players. We had a total mish-mash of players last season, which didn't work as a team together. The only game we tried to do what we're trying to do now was at Derby and we got mullered, which even SOD admitted afterwards was wrong.

But to say he decided to change isn't right, his hand was forced by Stead's injury. I'm sure if Stead had stayed fit the rest of the season he wouldn't have changed anything. Why would he, we'd won 5 straight home games playing that way.

That is correct, and SOD says as much in the excellent article in The Bountyhunter*. I'm with Red Robbo, I'm a bit of a SOD agnostic but any criticism must be based on facts.

* Not sure if it's possible, but if that Bountyhunter interview could be posted on this site, it would benefit a lot of posters.

I seem to be one of the only ones who disagrees with this. There are a small number of clubs that have switched managers frequently and still done well. But many, many others who switch managers and don't do well.

Often, changing managers can lead to a short term improvement, but not fix things in the medium to long term. Exhibit A: step forward Mr Derek McInnes. Most of us thought he was an excellent choice, and he kept us up - JUST - for one season. He was young and media-friendly, and enjoyed much more goodwill from fans than SO'D. But we all know what happened last season.

DMC is probably a good manager. He did really well at St Johnstone, and Aberdeen seem to have faith in him (he's had a good start to the season). But what he did here was a just a temporary fix.

If the foundations are right, then perhaps a new manager can come in and carry on quite happily. But if big changes are needed, then they need to happen sooner or later. Exhibit B: Gary Johnson's handgrenade.

Provided we are not relegated SO'D will have my full support all season.

Not sure how that works, you can't withdraw your past support IF the worst happens.

People have short memories...

Last season SoD said we played to a system that suited the ability of the players in the majority of our squad.. basically counter attacking football.

When he tried to change the system to a possession based game, it didn't work and he admitted the majority of our first team were incapable of playing his way.

Previous managers had the luxury of a certain amount of money to spend.

SoD has financial restrictions in place and an objective of putting in foundations to make this Club strong.

The past few seasons it's been 'Stop gap' football... there was no 'real objective'... it was throw anything at it to stop it sinking.

We survived playing poor football with no direction.

It's simply impossible to compare like for like with previous managers and objectives. To some Degree Del tried to get the Scouting and Academy better... but it's still not comparable to now.

SoD has been nothing but straight since he's been here. And still some people think he's just been covering his ass.

I don't see it like that at all... it is what it is... there are no 'smoke and mirrors' this time imho.

Mistakes will be made... but there are positives in our game plan for the long time future.

You only have to see our percentage possession rate this season compared to the last few... it's so much better.

We are looking to pass the ball and keep it... being patient looking for an opening. Yes it will break down occasionally... you will get the hoof up field when nothing is on and players are under pressure... but the seeds of growth are there to see.

Against Shrews for example our back 4 were knocking it about looking for a pass or opening... often it never came and they resorted to hoofing it down the channel... but it wasn't for lack of looking.

Our movement up front was very poor that night... that will have to be addressed. Baldock especially the guilty part of just sitting on the shoulder of the last defender asking for a ball over the top.

People go on about our defenders playing the long ball to Baldock and questioning it because of his height... watch the game... he never comes for the ball... he wants it down the channel and over the top.

Jet stood about aimlessly most of the game... his off the ball movement must improve.

It will take time to get right. And possession football is also about patience on the pitch... something our fans haven't been used to for years... we've all been about 'fast catch them on the break football' in the past few seasons. Perhaps that's what's annoying fans... the slow build up?

Yes percentage possesion rate is better but is not worth much when its al in your own half! Basically then weve learnt the pass bit but not the move which unfortunately for us combined with a pedestrian defence has led to a none too impressive start to the season.I do think we'll improve but you only have to look at the amount of SoD threads on here to see some are turning on the manager already.im just praying we get that first win saturday now.

Yes percentage possesion rate is better but is not worth much when its al in your own half! Basically then weve learnt the pass bit but not the move which unfortunately for us combined with a pedestrian defence has led to a none too impressive start to the season.I do think we'll improve but you only have to look at the amount of SoD threads on here to see some are turning on the manager already.im just praying we get that first win saturday now.

Again, going back to The Bountyhunter interview* with SOD, he's said he doesn't coach passing, he coaches people to make the right decisions.

* That interview NEEDS to be put on this forum, and everyone made to read it before posting.

Archived