IGNORED

Who Was The Manager When You First Watched / Started Supporting City?

Eddie Hitler

First manager  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

An excellent topic Herr Hitler. I started supporting this club when Alan Dicks was manager. I notice that no one has so far stated that they started supporting City under McInnes or SOD - over the last 2 years in other words. As per Bobby Houghton, who was manager for the 1981-82 season - as I've previously stated in other posts - this current period has been the 1981-82 season revisited with the club in freefall on and off the pitch.

I'm feeling sorry for Bob Wright personally :sad26:

Robert Cooper Allen "Bob" Wright (born 20 February 1915 in Glasgow, Scotland) was a Scottish footballer who played as a left half. He made over 20 Football League appearances in the years before the Second World War.[1]

Career

"Bob" Wright played locally for Horden Colliery Welfare. Bob Wright signed for Charlton Athletic in May 1937 for £100 from Horden Colliery Welfare. He made 28 appearances for Charlton Athletic before the Second World War. Wright spent much of the war abroad but did make 47 wartime appearances for Charlton Athletic and 19 wartime appearances for Middlesbrough. Wright retired from playing in 1947.[2]

After retiring from playing Bob Wright became assistant manager to Jimmy Seed at Charlton Athletic in September 1947.[2] He was appointed Bristol City manager in April 1949. He complained that he was not given a free hand by the Bristol City board of directors and resigned in June 1950.[3][4] He was a licensee in Bristol until joining Bristol Rovers as assistant manager to Bert Tann in July 1951 leaving that post again in July 1952. He became the licensee of the "White Hart" in Lower Maudlin Street in Bristol.[2]

City's wiki page has him down as English when he's Scottish and if he's still going (wiki doesn't say otherwise) then he's 98.

If you're still about Bob, let me know and I'll switch my vote.

Stood first on some carpy terrace where the Dolman is now, then soon moved into the E.E with rare excursions in other areas; even on the benches inside the railings, also got a season ticket for the first 2yrs after the Dolman was built, right on the halfway line; don't think I`ve been back in there since.

Thats where i saw my first City game v Brum 1967

You can read a lot into the stats so far and Alan Dicks in his 13 year tenure attracted a great many supporters on this forum. The worrying aspect for the future of this club is that there aren't very many that have been attracted to support this club in the 33 years since the Alan Dicks epoch.

If the person who clicked Bob Hewison is genuine and is still going, I raise my galss to you sir or madam.

As Red Goblin has pointed out though, it's a real worry (or should be) for the club that we aren't attracting new fans. Of course some of the kids who are starting to go with their parents now will not have voted on here, but I'm sure we all know more people who have stopped going in the last 3 years than have been attracted to Ashton Gate.

If the person who clicked Bob Hewison is genuine and is still going, I raise my galss to you sir or madam.

As Red Goblin has pointed out though, it's a real worry (or should be) for the club that we aren't attracting new fans. Of course some of the kids who are starting to go with their parents now will not have voted on here, but I'm sure we all know more people who have stopped going in the last 3 years than have been attracted to Ashton Gate.

Indeed, the Alan Dicks era was now over a third of a century ago !!!!!!! Extremely worrying being the relatively few supporters that have started following CITY since. Or is this forum mainly read by the 40+ somethings?

Bless Geeze...il'e call that a double Whooooooosh

Garland scored stood on a wooden stool in the williams..Friggin miracle !!!!!!!! x

Ha Ha he was superman.....according to himself, pretty sure Man City were top of the league and unbeaten in 11 games then they turned up at the gate....oh how times have changed

Jimmy Lumsden. First game as a 6-year-old was the Wimbledon cup tie 4th January 1992. Drew 1-1, apparently asked my Dad when we walked across Ashton Park if that was the ground.

Don't ever remember Lumsden being manager as I was too young but earliest vivid memories are an opening day 3-3 draw with Portsmouth (Dziekanowski and Cole) and listening to the cup win at Anfield on the radio, with my old man losing his mind when we scored. Still can't believe he wasn't at Anfield that day.

I reckons you'm one of they who eats, shoots, and leaves :laughcont:

Of course the original story was about a Texan visitor who was foolish enough to eat a Lindley's pie and reacted in the approved Texan manner.

The Post headline was "Carnage in Dolman Bar as Texan eats shoots and leaves. "

Archived