IGNORED

Are We Too Soft ?

Major Isewater

Throughout my time of supporting City we have globally been "nice".

Our managers with the notable exceptions of Tony Useless and big Joe have been "nice" bloke next door types.

Our players you could say the same ,generaly the Gows,Hunters,Lee Johnsons of this world are in the minority here.

So are we afraid to get nasty and stuck in ? Is it this which holds us back? Is Bristol just too comfortable.?

I had this exact conversation with my old man this morning. Every manager we've had, with the exceptions noted above, have been relatively nice, quiet types. Most of the players I can remember seeing in the last 20 odd years have been nice. Only exceptions that spring to mind are Hartley (1 year), Flint (a matter of months) and Shaun Taylor (2-3 years?) who haven't been pretty clean cut, nice guys...and boarded on the "nasty" at times.

A number of us thought the scottish influence might give us a fighting spirit or a attitude but it didn't. We've never had a Joey Barton, Roy Keane, Lee Cattermole type midfield pitbull, or at least not recently. We haven't had a big nasty centre half or a target man like a Kevin Davies type.

I think it comes from Bristol being a nice place. Its multi-cultural, its a home of art and creative type things and its a generally easy going part of the World. I also think that Lansdown's time especially has seen a real move towards trying to be a footballing team and this type of player always gets tarred with a brush of not being able to play because they're a bit tasty in the tackle. It isn't the case obviously (Bryan Robson being a prime example) but it does seem to be conscience decision to steer clear of this type of player.

I had this exact conversation with my old man this morning. Every manager we've had, with the exceptions noted above, have been relatively nice, quiet types. Most of the players I can remember seeing in the last 20 odd years have been nice. Only exceptions that spring to mind are Hartley (1 year), Flint (a matter of months) and Shaun Taylor (2-3 years?) who haven't been pretty clean cut, nice guys...and boarded on the "nasty" at times.

A number of us thought the scottish influence might give us a fighting spirit or a attitude but it didn't. We've never had a Joey Barton, Roy Keane, Lee Cattermole type midfield pitbull, or at least not recently. We haven't had a big nasty centre half or a target man like a Kevin Davies type.

I think it comes from Bristol being a nice place. Its multi-cultural, its a home of art and creative type things and its a generally easy going part of the World. I also think that Lansdown's time especially has seen a real move towards trying to be a footballing team and this type of player always gets tarred with a brush of not being able to play because they're a bit tasty in the tackle. It isn't the case obviously (Bryan Robson being a prime example) but it does seem to be conscience decision to steer clear of this type of player.

Tommy Docherty.

Little Lee Johnson? a nasty type?

seriously? or just looking for a bite?

Even when i'm being serious i can't resist a little humour to get my point across.

I'm not one to count the scores, just like to pût a smile on your faces and a germ of a thought for the old brainbox .

Thanks for your reply and if i was looking for a bite ,thanks again .We can't resist sometimes can we ?

I don't think you need to be a nasty side to get results, although it could be argued that as you drop down through the divisions, it becomes more necessary to sometimes win ugly.

Swansea certainly didn't get where they are now by being a nasty side - and proved you can play attractive football and climb the ladder.

But can they play at centre back? :laughcont:

Your jest actually raises a good point. With the many aggressive types I have witnessed playing in our local leagues - why has our club failed to unearth, nurture and direct a wealth of stronger type players onto a long-term / first team BCFC career?

I don't think you need to be a nasty side to get results, although it could be argued that as you drop down through the divisions, it becomes more necessary to sometimes win ugly.

Swansea certainly didn't get where they are now

by being a nasty side - and proved you can play

attractive football and climb the ladder.

I agree - progressing with attractive football is achievable. This is SO'D's vision and template - if only all our supporters could see it.

Not much substance to my post, but two things sprang to mind when reading the OP.

1. I remember Jamie McCombe saying that Bristol is always seen as a bit soft.

2. John Ward moaning that we weren't coming off the pitch during his reign with any broken noses, split lips or physical injuries because we were too nice.

It's down to a lack of local competition and 'oomph'. Us and the Sags are the only teams for miles around of any note, so there's no real stimulus to develop. And we're not in a hot bed of football. Plus, let's be honest, expectations are low. Our time in the Championship always felt temporary to me, even at the Play Off final, I remember thinking "WTF are we doing HERE?!?!?!?!?"

Even when i'm being serious i can't resist a little humour to get my point across.

I'm not one to count the scores, just like to pût a smile on your faces and a germ of a thought for the old brainbox .

Thanks for your reply and if i was looking for a bite ,thanks again .We can't resist sometimes can we ?

I thought it must have been a joke, that or you'd been at the apples waaay too early ;)

Lee Johnson's inclusion in that list may have been a joke but actually he was pretty tough and streetwise as a player. Never nasty, I agree, but there's no way a bloke of his stature could play as many games in the league as he has (let's please ignore for this who gave him most of those games; it's not relevant here) without being able to handle what opponents throw at him.

We can have a team that succeeds without being nasty, but it still needs to be tough. I was delighted when the teams came out for the Rovers game and I saw Harewood in the City lineup. He's not a nasty player at all but I wouldn't want to fight him. Our team needs more protectors like that whilst the young lads mature.

My old man always mentions Mike Thresher when talking about city players who were a bit tasty

In particular he remembers fondly how in one particular game a Leeds centre half was bullying Jantsen Derrick and kicking him at any opportunity he got, so Thresher (who was apparently Jantsen's mate) had a word in Derricks ear...he said you could tell what he was saying, next time you get the ball and he comes for you, just let him have it...which Jantsen did...Thresher apparently kicked this bloke about waist high, over the advertising hoardings and into the third row of the Williams

My old man loves telling that story....mind you he is an ex egg chaser!! ;)

Lee Johnson's inclusion in that list may have been a joke but actually he was pretty tough and streetwise as a player. Never nasty, I agree, but there's no way a bloke of his stature could play as many games in the league as he has (let's please ignore for this who gave him most of those games; it's not relevant here) without being able to handle what opponents throw at him.

We can have a team that succeeds without being nasty, but it still needs to be tough. I was delighted when the teams came out for the Rovers game and I saw Harewood in the City lineup. He's not a nasty player at all but I wouldn't want to fight him. Our team needs more protectors like that whilst the young lads mature.

You are right of course but i can't really imagine the opposition trembling at the knees when they saw Lee's name on the teamsheet !

Norman bites yer legs ,Lee nibbles yer ankles '

Glenn Humphreys. Founding father of psychoanalysis.

Top shout.

I remember City 3 Chelsea 1 in the FA Cup in 1990.

Early in the game, Mr. Humphries sent a Chelsea player about 6ft up in the air in front of the dug-outs...

...they never wanted it after that!

On the subject of that game, I'm surprised that a certain Mr. Robbie Turner is yet to be mentioned on this thread...

After today i remain convinced that we are slowly going in the right direction however i maintain that we need a tough character who refuses to let the opposition pass and hates to lose.

Norman Hunter helped us stay up with no mean skill but also with an unfailing self belief.Joe Jordan was the same.These type of players lift the others and put the opposition on the back foot even before the game starts.

The management talk about bringing in the right personality for the club just maybe that needs a little tweek ; :flex:

The game itself has gone soft, it's a complete joke. Wagstaff put in a crunching tackle after 2 minutes today, out comes the yellow card. He's treading on eggshells then for the rest of the game. Cough next to a player, down they go. Having said this, I believe we need a hard case still in the middle. But who is another matter.....

Archived