IGNORED

My Thoughts On Sod/this Season

dezgimed

absoloutly nothing suggests we will have one hell of a team, next season. Unless of course we are taken over by arab owners, and financial fair play is scrapped completely..

If SOD is not deemed good enough to get us out this league, then sack him now.

If he is, a season and half in charge is way enough time to get his shit together.

Only a complete idiot needs 5 years to build a team. GJ got Yeovil up and so did Howe with Bmuff immediately.

Continue this 'transition'.

Avoid relegation.

But I fully expect us next season to be one hell of a team.

No transition takes longer than 2 pre seasons, 4 transfer windows and over 18 months...

Hmm, well for the transition to be fully completed I think it will take longer. Don't see us having 'one hell of a team' this time next year to be honest, but yes we should be well over the hump as it were by next season.

To use a starfish analogy (bear with me), it's almost as if we had a diseased arm. And for ages we were taking expensive medication to try and cure our arm. But none of the medicine worked, in fact some of it made our arm worse. Now we've taken the tough decision to just cut the arm off and grow a completely new, healthy one naturally. The problem with is, though, that now we don't have an arm at all. And it's going to take time for this new arm to fully grow strong again. But it is underway!

If he is, a season and half in charge is way enough time to get his shit together.

Only a complete idiot needs 5 years to build a team. GJ got Yeovil up and so did Howe with Bmuff immediately.

The greatest ever manager needed more than 5 years to build the team, I wouldn't class sir alex ferguson as an idiot

Can't see us having one hell of a team next year, well unless we drop again. As for the stats about 'transitions', just rubbish. Just because we say 'transition' does not automatically mean we become World-Beaters in a year. If it was that easy, every club would just transition.

The greatest ever manager needed more than 5 years to build the team, I wouldn't class sir alex ferguson as an idiot

Different aspirations though. This is league one we are talking about, not building a team to win the top division and challenge Europe

Different aspirations though. This is league one we are talking about, not building a team to win the top division and challenge Europe

How long did it take us to get promoted from league one in 1999?

More than 6 years..

So, I have to ask the question: Are you thick?

With the same manager?

Wilson was challenging most years. The rest of the time if was different managers.

We're taking about SOD in consistently aren't we?

Moron.

With the same manager?

Wilson was challenging most years. The rest of the time if was different managers.

Moron.

"Are you saying you need 6 years to build a league one team to get promoted"

Took us 8 years to get promoted..

But anyone who thinks we will have a hell of a team next season is a basket case, just like this club.

"Are you saying you need 6 years to build a league one team to get promoted"

Took us 8 years to get promoted..

But anyone who thinks we will have a hell of a team next season is a basket case, just like this club.

This thread is specifically about SOD and his 'project' though.

No manager in the past has been given an 8 year target of promotion, and rightly so!

Talk about backwards. Clubs like Swansea probably said L1 to UEFA cup in 8 years.

Continue this 'transition'.

Avoid relegation.

But I fully expect us next season to be one hell of a team.

No transition takes longer than 2 pre seasons, 4 transfer windows and over 18 months...

One hell of a team, where did you get that from?

Do you seriously think JET will be with us next season? Baring in mind he is on a 2 year deal and the club will have to accept a fee to stop him leaving on a free.....same goes for Baldock. Pack and Wynter....

Those players go, what happens to the "transition", more players come in taking more time to gel.

This transition talk is a load of BS, simply because a lot of the new players were signed on short deals.....

One hell of a team, where did you get that from?

Do you seriously think JET will be with us next season? Baring in mind he is on a 2 year deal and the club will have to accept a fee to stop him leaving on a free.....same goes for Baldock. Pack and Wynter....

Those players go, what happens to the "transition", more players come in taking more time to gel.

This transition talk is a load of BS, simply because a lot of the new players were signed on short deals.....

Sorry what exactly was your point, we should back SOD for 5 years to build a team, but keep signing players on 2 year deals, how does that work?

They had decent squads and didn't have to compete with financial fair play!

If we sack him as some people seem to feel, how long do you give the next manager, I don't think there's any other manager who could come in and have a miracle effect. We have to accept, we aren't the most amazing team in the world, but it is only 9 games so far, I would wait another ten games before deciding how well he is doing

If we sack him as some people seem to feel, how long do you give the next manager, I don't think there's any other manager who could come in and have a miracle effect. We have to accept, we aren't the most amazing team in the world, but it is only 9 games so far, I would wait another ten games before deciding how well he is doing

I'm not saying sack him now. I'm saying if we're still in this awful position NEXT season, then we might have to come to the conclusion he isnt actually very good at his job anymore.

Some managers click in certain jobs (Dowie at Palace for example), and some dont.

With the same manager?

Moron.

Are you unable to debate without name calling? Why start a thread if you don't wish to debate about it with those who have a difference of opinion?

I would consider that as being a bit 'thick'.

Transitions aren't limited to two pre seasons either. If you expect to have 'one hell of a team' in league one with financial fair play then I think you may be a bit disappointed.

Are you unable to debate without name calling? Why start a thread if you don't wish to debate about it with those who have a difference of opinion?

I would consider that as being a bit 'thick'.

Transitions aren't limited to two pre seasons either. If you expect to have 'one hell of a team' in league one with financial fair play then I think you may be a bit disappointed.

Fair point, it was the end of a long day. What did you think of the match?

When is a transition actually just a normal period in charge then. I think SOD has pulled the wool over everyones eyes with his terminology.

''Please don't sack me if we're rubbish, this 10 year period is a TRANSITION so don't expect to win any games''.

Hmmm.

Fair point, it was the end of a long day. What did you think of the match?

When is a transition actually just a normal period in charge then. I think SOD has pulled the wool over everyones eyes with his terminology.

''Please don't sack me if we're rubbish, this 10 year period is a TRANSITION so don't expect to win any games''.

Hmmm.

I thought we did well at times, set up well but for all our good work if you have zero ability to hold onto a lead you're asking for trouble.

I guess there is no specific time but like you I would expect a drastic improvement next season. Promotion? Maybe not, but I would at least expect to see this free flowing football in full swing. I am not sure promotion would represent the end of any transition but I think there is only so long people can have the wool pulled over there eyes.

For me I wouldn't demand promotion, as much as I would expect it next year but I would demand an obvious improvement. Even if that meant grinding out a boring 1-0 win most weeks. Somewhere along the line we would have to show a huge improvement in a certain area at least.

They had decent squads and didn't have to compete with financial fair play!

Certainly Bournemouth spent a few quid when Howe went back there, Yeovil however did it on a low budget. And Johnson got us promoted on a much reduced budget after Wilson spent a fortune failing to do so. I sometimes wonder what the current equivalent would be of the £600k we spent on Peacock for instance. And can we stop talking as if FFP only applies to us? Wolves have an advantage due to parachute payments (despite the fact that Jackett claimed at the start of the season that they would be relying on kids) and Posh have the money they got for Gayle. Otherwise we seem to be on a pretty level playing field.

I thought we did well at times, set up well but for all our good work if you have zero ability to hold onto a lead you're asking for trouble.

I guess there is no specific time but like you I would expect a drastic improvement next season. Promotion? Maybe not, but I would at least expect to see this free flowing football in full swing. I am not sure promotion would represent the end of any transition but I think there is only so long people can have the wool pulled over there eyes.

For me I wouldn't demand promotion, as much as I would expect it next year but I would demand an obvious improvement. Even if that meant grinding out a boring 1-0 win most weeks. Somewhere along the line we would have to show a huge improvement in a certain area at least.

That's a contradiction.

Posters on here are being vilified for demanding results and "not seeing the big picture" which we are told is the passing style of football SOD wants.

We can't then be happy with grinding out boring wins as the whole philosophy has then gone out of the window.

That's a contradiction.

Posters on here are being vilified for demanding results and "not seeing the big picture" which we are told is the passing style of football SOD wants.

We can't then be happy with grinding out boring wins as the whole philosophy has then gone out of the window.

Yeah I see what I have done there. Complete contradiction by mistake.

I should have perhaps elaborated on the last bit. What I meant by that was if the free flowing football meant we didn't just outscore teams each week while playing good football but still conceding, then we should at least by tighter at the back, keeping clean sheets on a regular basis while still playing possession football

• Admin

My own "expectations" are that we finish this season comfortably away from the relegation zone, challenge for the play offs next season and challenge for auto promotion in year 3. All that is in the proviso that we continue with an attempt to play possession football and bring on young improving talent.

Is that patient & realistic?

My own "expectations" are that we finish this season comfortably away from the relegation zone, challenge for the play offs next season and challenge for auto promotion in year 3. All that is in the proviso that we continue with an attempt to play possession football and bring on young improving talent.

Is that patient & realistic?

Exactly the same as mine. Change the manager now and we have just gone back several months and the whole process of rebuilding starts again. We have to see this season out. Certainly not been a smooth ride so far but i reckon by Xmas we will be mid table and looking up not down.

Archived