IGNORED

What Does Being A Bcfc Fan Mean To You, In One Sound Byte

Esmond Million's Bung

As a child/early teens it was my whole world - went to every home game.

Late teens/early twenties it was most of my world plus loved the drinking with mates before and after the game - went to every home game and 5/6 away games a season

Mid twenties I bought a house so going to City became less affordable but I tried to get down when I could - 10/12 games per season, maybe 1/2 away

Had my first child three years ago at 30 (second one due any day now) and watching City has never been so unaffordable. I get to about 8 games per season. But when I go I drive down, watch the game, then drive home again. Not the same.

Also, when I was younger, winning was everything. Now I want to be entertained. If the game is absolutely dire but we win 1-0 I am, of course, happy but feel a bit empty afterwards. The style of play means ALOT more to be now than it used too.

When I was a tiddler my Grandad lived in Muller Road and used to take me to Eastville to watch the Rovers.

During all the intervening years of frustration and disappointment as a City supporter, I console myself with the thought of how much worse it would have been had I followed my Grandad's lead all those long years ago.

Walking up to Ashton Gate, I get a tremendous feeling of tribal loyalty. Knowing my dad and grandad made the same walk. And although I've not lived in Bristol since I was 7, I know when I'm among the crowd "these are my people" - salt of the earth.

Completely agree, sometimes I still even get a dumb grin on my face when I walk through the gates.

Walking back to car after another defeat/draw,thinking what the **** was that.Next home game,walking over to the pub,really looking foward to the game thinking today's the day we turn the corner.Walking back to the car after the game thinking,what the **** was that,and so on,on so forth.

It means everything. Whilst it is often a hugely frustrating (and dare I even say joyless at times) experience it is a feeling that cannot be described. Those sweet moments (playoff victories, beating the gas etc.) make up for everything else and I for one would not swap being a Bristol City fan for anything. So I guess a feeling of immense pride would sum it up.

Your club is like your family,with you for life good and bad! Been watching since 1976 and seen the great Liverpool and Notts Forest Teams at Ashton Gate and then seen us lose 7-1 at Northampton whilst bottom of the whole league! Football has changed everywhere and going to the Gate now sat down with players that earn too much money and don't care is not the same as standing on the terraces back in the 70s and 80s! Whoever plays for or owns this club, they will come again but The red shirt and club badge comes first over everything and will always be in my heart!

Archived