IGNORED

Quote From A Doncaster Fan

dezgimed

A Swindon supporting mate of mine emailed me yesterday and was very complimentary of the football City played. He said of SO'D: "My daughters brother in law (now Captain at Crawley ) speaks very highly of O’Driscoll as a manager and they were sad to see him go.".

Of course, it's only the view of one random person but I thought I'd share it, for what it's worth.

His stats have him down as pretty much equal wins to losses in all his jobs (except ours...) and at Doncaster he actually lost more than he won. So perhaps he isn't the new messiah after all, but that said, I can see no point in even contemplating his position, unless we are still in the drop zone in Dec.

Sean O' Driscoll

TEAM FROM TO GAMES WON DRAWN LOST Bristol C 14 Jan, 2013 Present 31 8 8 15 Nottm Forest 20 Jul, 2012 27 Dec, 2012 26 10 9 7 Doncaster 08 Sep, 2006 22 Sep, 2011 268 97 72 99 Bournemouth 19 Aug, 2000 10 Sep, 2006 327 118 99 110

Bloody forum doesn't like posting tables....... try this

http://www.soccerbase.com/managers/manager.sd?manager_id=1629

Surely the Doncaster figures are reflective of what the second quoted Doncaster fan said, "it took a while to get going but was worth it" presumably if you looked at his record on a graph you would have a better idea.

In this brilliant interview with Goalfood, ODriscoll gave a fascinating insight into the side he had developed: We never do passing drills in training. We try to give people options on the ball and the thing Im trying to coach is for the player to pick the right option, which is what the better players do. I get scouting reports which say he gives the ball away too much but Im trying to train the scouts to ask was it the right ball to play? Footballs about giving the ball away but was it the right pass at the right time? Sometimes Im more concerned about that than I am about whether or not he completed the pass. I cant buy someone for a million quid but I want to get someone in who can see options and can take the right one. Im in a market where I can afford a player because hes cheap but I have to know that I can develop him because he has the raw materials I can work with. Right pass, right time thats two out of three and I can work on the rest.

Thanks PB that whole article was fascinating, but the bit I have taken out if is above. I think this explains his comments about Joe B and "that pass". A bad pass he can take, picking the wrong option is harder because that's something that might take longer to coach. It also suggests that unlike some sides I have seen recently, he realises that retaining the ball has to have a purpose, rather than be an end in itself.

A Swindon supporting mate of mine emailed me yesterday and was very complimentary of the football City played. He said of SO'D: "My daughters brother in law (now Captain at Crawley ) speaks very highly of O’Driscoll as a manager and they were sad to see him go.".

Of course, it's only the view of one random person but I thought I'd share it, for what it's worth.

On the other side of the coin, I was recently reading a Nottingham Forest forum from around the time O'Driscoll was sacked and one fan's comments went along the lines of 'He needs an eternity to rebuild a team' and 'He has no fire in his belly'.

On the other side of the coin, I was recently reading a Nottingham Forest forum from around the time O'Driscoll was sacked and one fan's comments went along the lines of 'He needs an eternity to rebuild a team' and 'He has no fire in his belly'.

Slightly bizarre comment considering he was head coach for 6 months.

I thought managers were hired because of what they have done in the past.

Of course. they are Bill (& Les). I had high hopes for SOD when he arrived and I am not suggesting it was some terrible blunder to hire him.

What I'm saying is that his record here is -so-far - abject and we now must assess him on how effective he is being here, not on his past glories.

Sean faces a different challenge here than he had at Donny (who although promoted were hardly a good team) and Bournemouth. Maybe he's a square peg in a round hole?

Like you guys, I hope not and I hope he pulls things around.

The difference between us appears to be that you absolutely believe he will, based on his past record, and I am much less certain.

Of course. they are Bill (& Les). I had high hopes for SOD when he arrived and I am not suggesting it was some terrible blunder to hire him.

What I'm saying is that his record here is -so-far - abject and we now must assess him on how effective he is being here, not on his past glories.

Sean faces a different challenge here than he had at Donny (who although promoted were hardly a good team) and Bournemouth. Maybe he's a square peg in a round hole?

The difference between us appears to be that you absolutely believe he will, based on his past record, and I am much less certain.

Couldn't agree more. Despite what people may think on this forum I actually like SODs footballing philosophy, however after 9 months its doesn't feel like any progress has been made. Building for the future doesn't mean it's ok to lose game after game.

Di Canio has plenty of fire in his belly. I wouldn't want him for a manager though. Fire in belly is not a football management pre-requisite for me. Passion is, which is not necessarily portrayed by fire in the belly.

Just because one Forest fan says this or a Doncaster fan says that, does it really matter? As with the "how much time" poll on this website, more fans from his previous clubs were more positive than not and the poll indicted that a whopping majority are prepared to stick with him at least until the end of season.

For the time being people should support the bloke instead of a grasping at straws witch hunt .

No, I don't "absolutely believe he will" that's not my viewpoint, managing our club ( and what goes with it) is not the same as Donny or B'mouth.

What I believe is that we give the bloke the time he needs to prove whether he can or not.

20 games is nowhere near enough time.

If we don't give him time we will never know.

I really hope he succeeds because if that's the case we will see some fantastic football played in the next few years.

I just don't get how a manager is employed to do a job but isn't given time to prove it.

I don't "absolutely believe" either, that it will work here, just because he got it right elsewhere. Appointing a coach seems to be something of a lucky dip, groping in the dark. Yes, some clubs seem to do better than others with this, and Swansea especially so. Annoyingly so. Is it luck or judgement? A bit of both? Liverpool used to appoint from within, then that stopped working and they have had their problems with this. Man U had the same after Busby, no wonder they kept their last boss on so long! Arsenal have this to come before too long, although a few young managers can forget that job (di canio! Holloway!)

I, too, Robbo, have wondered about managers succeeding one place, but not transfering this to the next. What happens?

But we've got to give someone a good go, and that means an element of trust or faith. There are no certainties in this (not with the head coaches we will be able to attract here). Ideally, what they will give us in return are some pointers, signs, that things are going the right way, good times are within reach. These are not evident yet, and so, naturally, some are concerned. A win or two would bloody help! There might be another pitch invasion for that first league win if it doesn't come soon.

I think SOD is the right guy for us at this level and seems to be up for instigating the level of change required/ going on, including blooding youngsters. THINK, being the key word. It's a hunch, but bringing in someone new would be mostly hunches, guesswork etc, based on their cv and the cobblers they talk, or don't, in interview. Gut feelings.At the moment, it all looks a bit iffy, and being at the bottom again isn't clever. But for the job the club have specified, SOD was a good fit, I would say.

That interview that Portland Bill put up was great. "Go on, ask me a stupid question!" Wonder if he said that when interviewed for the job?

I don't "absolutely believe" either, that it will work here, just because he got it right elsewhere. Appointing a coach seems to be something of a lucky dip, groping in the dark. Yes, some clubs seem to do better than others with this, and Swansea especially so. Annoyingly so. Is it luck or judgement? A bit of both? Liverpool used to appoint from within, then that stopped working and they have had their problems with this. Man U had the same after Busby, no wonder they kept their last boss on so long! Arsenal have this to come before too long, although a few young managers can forget that job (di canio! Holloway!)

I, too, Robbo, have wondered about managers succeeding one place, but not transfering this to the next. What happens?

But we've got to give someone a good go, and that means an element of trust or faith. There are no certainties in this (not with the head coaches we will be able to attract here). Ideally, what they will give us in return are some pointers, signs, that things are going the right way, good times are within reach. These are not evident yet, and so, naturally, some are concerned. A win or two would bloody help! There might be another pitch invasion for that first league win if it doesn't come soon.

I think SOD is the right guy for us at this level and seems to be up for instigating the level of change required/ going on, including blooding youngsters. THINK, being the key word. It's a hunch, but bringing in someone new would be mostly hunches, guesswork etc, based on their cv and the cobblers they talk, or don't, in interview. Gut feelings.At the moment, it all looks a bit iffy, and being at the bottom again isn't clever. But for the job the club have specified, SOD was a good fit, I would say.

That interview that Portland Bill put up was great. "Go on, ask me a stupid question!" Wonder if he said that when interviewed for the job?

Then I think we're parking our Bentleys in the same. valeted car park, Les!

I'm not a SOD-out man. If he oversees two relegations he's walking, but personally I think he's here all season and let's see how that goes.

His interviews always do seem quite thoughtful, but the proof of the puding will be on the pitch.

Then I think we're parking our Bentleys in the same. valeted car park, Les!

I'm not a SOD-out man. If he oversees two relegations he's walking, but personally I think he's here all season and let's see how that goes.

His interviews always do seem quite thoughtful, but the proof of the puding will be on the pitch.

There's a scratch on mine from last week, was it you?

SOD knows, he's been around. Just don't ask him how he feels, should the unthinkable happen again

SOD is always making excuses if you think enough about what he says to see through it.

Everything pre-match is about how good the opposition are, and everything is always about "building for the long-term" to try take people's eye off what is happening now.

Interesting no?

Quite right. I mean Sir Alex never made...

Oh, right.

Archived