IGNORED

Marlon Pack

Go Junior GO

He certainly hasn’t pulled up any trees yet but I didn’t expect him to after such a short space of time but think he has handled the step up from League Two well. Always looking for the best pass available and looks very comfortable on the ball, will only improve with time.

Marlon Pack is an interesting one - Firstly, I will stress that I DO like him. I think he has a bit of class and style about him and when his passing is in full flow, it is a joy to watch....

However, whilst leaving the County Ground on Saturday and scratching my head as to what exactly we could do to stop conceeding so softly and where our weak link actually is, I couldn't help but keep coming back to the fact that I think MP is a main cause of our problems throughout the core of the team.

Don't get me wrong, He, himself, doesn't make too many errors and i'm not blaming him or having a go at him, but I do feel that the role he plays in the team, just doesn't quite fit and that is the route of many of our problems at present.

Elliott has been excellent recently, Reid has certainly started to win me over (size, not ability having been the question) Bryan has done some great work out wide - so I think these 3 are our first choice names in midfield at the moment.

Wagstaff, seems sound but unspectacular and MP, as described above, also doesn't actualy DO enough ie. assists/goals/shots/tackles.

I am hoping that Kelly comes back fully fit to add what we are lacking currently in midfield.

I've been quite impressed with him so far. I thought he was poor against rovers and gave the ball away in dangerous positions a few times but aside from that I think he's done well. He plays with his head up, looking for the simple ball and puts his foot in as well.

Certainly miles better than anything Kilkenny has ever produced in a red and white jersey.

Pack can pass sideways and back and can't tackle must be kilkennys estranged brother or something?

I've obviously not been watching the same games as you. Pack's long passing is some of the best I've seen at Ashton for years, and streets ahead of Kilkenny, but clearly his confidence has suffered with the rest of the team. He works hard and I've certainly seen him tackle, so I don't know what you're on about in that respect. I think he's a good acquisition who will begin to do well when we get past this present unfortunate run (and surely we will, if we can play as well as we have at times this season).

as it has been suggested, it is all about learning to make the right decisions with the youngsters at this club. they have the ability and when they begin to make the right decisions, we will click.

players like pack who have the ability to spray the ball left right and centre are what we will need, he just needs to learn when to pick the right pass.

the same with bryan against swindon. pass directly across goal and baldock scores. he didnt make the decision quick enough or was caught in two minds and makes the wrong pass. later on in the season, he wont make mistakes like that.

He hasn't impressed me as yet, and maybe that's because the club were very hyped about securing his services so maybe my expectation levels were raised a little high.

That said I'm certainly not writing him off as a bad signing as he's shown potential and is still young. He hasn't let us down that's for sure but for now the jury is still out for me.

Pack, I think has the attributes to be very good, he rarely wastes the ball when I have seen him. Which makes him a very useful deep laying midfielder. he has the ability to pick a pass as well.

I am not sure he is the kind of player that really stands out when played in a holding role though. I would be interested to see what he can do with a freer role in the centre. But for me he looks like he has enough about him to be a success here. Having spent his career at a lower level, I don't think it will take him too long to get up to speed. I think we have a good signing here.

I was beginning to have some question marks over him after our last two home games where I thought he was poor, but I think he has been excellent in the last two games.

He isn't the finished article and there are elements of his game he does need to improve, but on the whole I have been impressed with him. He takes up excellent positions both when we are in and out of possession, has an excellent range of passing and when playing well is able to control the tempo of the game. He also seems to read the game well and it noticeable how many times he gets to the second ball first after it drops down from our centre half/the opposition centre forward.

The only thing I would look at him for is there have been a few occasions where we have been struggling in games and large periods have at times completely passed him by. You find yourself, certainly when he is partnered with Bobby Reid, wanting him to really impose himself and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Then again I think the same criticism can at times be labelled at Michael Carrick and he is one of the most underrated players England has produced.

The sad reality is that he will always fail to impress some English football fans as he doesn't charge around the pitch or dive into tackles, but he is clearly a talent as well as looking an intelligent player.

One thing is for certain, anybody that would prefer Kilkenny in the team either has an irrational hatred of ex Cheltenham players, a strange fetish for Australian midgets or has simply never watched a game in their lives.

I've obviously not been watching the same games as you. Pack's long passing is some of the best I've seen at Ashton for years, and streets ahead of Kilkenny, but clearly his confidence has suffered with the rest of the team. He works hard and I've certainly seen him tackle, so I don't know what you're on about in that respect. I think he's a good acquisition who will begin to do well when we get past this present unfortunate run (and surely we will, if we can play as well as we have at times this season).

I'm not disputing his work rate or his ability, I just think the 2 or 3 accurate long lasses he has done doesn't outweigh the sideways or backward passes he makes. We are a possession team I get that, but on more than one occasion this season a pass has been on which a 'creative' player like pack should find and has failed. He will come good with more and more games and he is an exciting prospect, I just feel he is a bit limited as a middle of the park man!, early days though mate.

I rate Pack. I think his passing range, in particular his ability to switch the play quickly with longer range passes is (with the exception of Hartley) is as good as anything we've seen since Tommy Doc.

I think it's harsh to criticise his square / backward passing. Our team are clearly under instruction to keep possession. At the Shrewsbury game in particular it seemed players were feeling the pressure and many reverted to type (the English type), playing channel balls and/or lumping it forward to JET and Baldock with little reward. Pack does not does this and I for one like that about him as it's what we - and English football in general - need.

The main problems for me are firstly very poor movement and running off the ball. If I had a pound for every time I've seen fans frustrated with a long hopeful ball or a sideways / backwards pass, yet looking at the options in front of the man with the ball I see 3 or 4 statues occupying a narrow space, I'd be as rich as Steve Lansdown.

Seconldy we lack width. We don't play with out-and-out wide men (which I don't mind) but in addition our full backs have failed to exploit the space in front of them (Peterborough at home for example) to compensate for this. This limits our passing options and reduces the available space as we're not using the width of the pitch. Consequently the opportuntiy for the likes of Pack to impress with a 40 yard racking pass that switches play is limited.

For me his only iffy moments came in the deby where he made 2 or 3 poor passes on the edge of our final third which put us in trouble.

I'm not disputing his work rate or his ability, I just think the 2 or 3 accurate long lasses he has done doesn't outweigh the sideways or backward passes he makes. We are a possession team I get that, but on more than one occasion this season a pass has been on which a 'creative' player like pack should find and has failed. He will come good with more and more games and he is an exciting prospect, I just feel he is a bit limited as a middle of the park man!, early days though mate.

It's easy to forget he's still a youngster though...

I rate Pack. I think his passing range, in particular his ability to switch the play quickly with longer range passes is (with the exception of Hartley) is as good as anything we've seen since Tommy Doc.

For me his only iffy moments came in the deby where he made 2 or 3 poor passes on the edge of our final third which put us in trouble.

Agree with both points, For me he is one of the few plus points this season, I have not seen all the games, but in the ones I have seen he has been solid and good to watch, clearly has a bit of class and a brain.

Not the finished article but does remind me of Tom D and Hartley and I have a lot more faith in MP then in the Kilkennys of this world who have had plenty of chances and are dreadful to watch.

edit for spelling!

I think until we start to win games consistently it will be impossible to judge a player like Pack, for me I like him, I just want to say one other thing, without in any way trying to diminish JET and his worth to our side, his inclusion in the side pretty much ensures that the midfield has to not only do it's own job but also cover for JET.

I suspect that job was initially going to go to Kelly, who might have been a bigger loss than we realise.

It's easy to forget he's still a youngster though...

22 years old with over 150 games as a pro shouldn't be classed as a youngster like say reid or bryan who both are a similar age but no where near as expereanced,

Our midfield seems to have the same problem as the last 4 seasons and thats no bite

22 years old with over 150 games as a pro shouldn't be classed as a youngster like say reid or bryan who both are a similar age but no where near as expereanced,

Our midfield seems to have the same problem as the last 4 seasons and thats no bite

Only just 22, July I think, and has never played at this level before so while I agree he's not in the Reid/Bryan bracket he was never going to be Rolls Royce from day 1. I've seen enough to think he's going to be a pivotal player for us in the next couple of years if we keep trying to develop a more passing team.

Only just 22, July I think, and has never played at this level before so while I agree he's not in the Reid/Bryan bracket he was never going to be Rolls Royce from day 1. I've seen enough to think he's going to be a pivotal player for us in the next couple of years if we keep trying to develop a more passing team.

he's played at a level that is more physical for a team that has been pretty close to this level for a number of seasons, I'm not buying the youngster excuse at all for him,

He shouldn't be knocked off the ball so easily and he shouldn't be giving it away as easy as he has been,

He's got alot to do to convense me at the moment my ideal pairing in midfield is Elliot and Reid

he's played at a level that is more physical for a team that has been pretty close to this level for a number of seasons, I'm not buying the youngster excuse at all for him,

He shouldn't be knocked off the ball so easily and he shouldn't be giving it away as easy as he has been,

He's got alot to do to convense me at the moment my ideal pairing in midfield is Elliot and Reid

We're watching a different Marlon Pack. I don't think he does get knocked off the ball easily and he doesn't give it away easily. He certainly didn't last night. I can think of heart in mouth moments against the Gas when he passed it back a couple of times straight to one of their players but apart from that I think he's been decent. Marv won't be here after next summer, I do think he can do a job for us this year still but the future's Pack and Reid. That's an exciting prospect for me.

haven't been impressed at all I think he's been weak on and off the ball giving it away in dangerous postions, rather have kilkenny in the side at the moment,

Really!???

I must be watching different games to you. I was watching Pack closely all game against Shrewsbury and he didn't give the ball away! He looks to go forward for a pass and always makes himself available for other players.

His job does go unnoticed but what he does, he does it very well. Marlon Pack, Bobby Reid and Liam Kelly in midfield would be awesome IMO. All under the age of 23 aswell!!

Archived