IGNORED

Marlon Pack

Go Junior GO

People do see different games that's for sure , I thought he was our best player by miles in the last 2 league games completely hampered by Elliot!

Him, Reid and Kelly will be a very good midfield eventually.

Yep, I think some people see what they want to see!

Pack has been good so far. Not stand-out by any means, but good.

Granted, he has given the ball away a couple of times in a couple of games, but how anyone can criticise his sideways or backwards passing is beyond me. His first thought always looks to be a forward pass, and if it's not on, he'll keep possession by playing it simple. This is a huge advancement on our midfield of recent years who's first thought always seemed to be who can I offload this to (i.e. taking no responsibility).

His positional awareness in front of the back four is good, and as someone else has mentioned, it's no coincidence that he gets a lot of 2nd ball.

For those who say he doesn't shoot, I'd count about double figures in efforts at goal so far - again, a huge improvement on our non-attacking midfield of recent years.

He's also assisted from a corner for Flint v Swindon - again, we never score from corners, but Pack delivered. At Cheltenham for a couple of seasons he was the regular corner taker and they were always on the money, so I'd like to see him given this job more often.

There was also the assist v Shrewsbury and there may have been another earlier in the season (I think) - so again, more assists in 2 months than our previous 'holding' midfielder had in 2 years!

Also, I don't recall too many chances, let alone goals, that have come against us this season where you could squarely lay the blame on the midfield. We've not been waltzed through like last year and midfield runners are now being tracked.

Overall, there is a lot more to come from Pack, I'm 100% sure of it.

I also like the idea of Pack, Kelly & Reid - a good future for those 3 I reckon.

With time and when the time hopefully settles he'll be able to read the play more and look to play more of those raking passes out wide. With no width or movement all he can do is backwards and sideways.

Look at Xabi Alonso. Both play a similar type of football. He just sits and sprays the ball about. He's so important to that team that fergie stuck Welbeck on him man marked in the champs league - and they would of won if the ref hadn't sent nani off. When he's got players with good movement he's the key man.

Would like to see him with a ball winner (wynter or Elliot from 4 years back), and with joe Bryan and the new kid from forest wide, with jet off baldock. That would really open up his game.

Marlon Pack is a barometer for the side as a whole.

Trying to come to terms with a new challenge whilst implementing a style of play. Getting better steadily without any tangible results - yet.

Cole Skuse's direct replacement and one assumes he is being paid a fraction of what Skuse was - a prime example of where we are as a club. Replacing heavily paid 'Championship' players with progressive, younger players who we hope will improve whilst with us.

Interesting that the manager made him captain last night over Flint or Shorey.

Mixed so far for me. He looks the real deal when blessed with time and opportunities to show off his range of passing, he appears disciplined and shows a willingness to retain posession. However, when put under pressure he has conceeded posession too often for me, perhaps a symptom of his desire to find a red shirt rather than hoik it down the touchline. I hope he flourishes but he still seems a raw prospect, as do many in the side to be fair.

Without the class of JET this season I dread to think where we would find inspiration from (Bryan aside), a few more need to step up and be willing to offer themselves as matchwinners for us to climb the table.

Marlon Pack is a barometer for the side as a whole.

Trying to come to terms with a new challenge whilst implementing a style of play. Getting better steadily without any tangible results - yet.

Cole Skuse's direct replacement and one assumes he is being paid a fraction of what Skuse was - a prime example of where we are as a club. Replacing heavily paid 'Championship' players with progressive, younger players who we hope will improve whilst with us.

Interesting that the manager made him captain last night over Flint or Shorey.

Cole Skuse was on significantly less than other first team regulars, and while Pack would be on less, u would be suprised by Skuse pay in comparison to others.....his mrs was certainly unhappy about it, more so than Skuse from what I've heard.....and his mrs isn't the thick type, being a teacher n all.

He isn't going to spray the ball all over the pitch. We don't play that way or give those options and when those passes are on he does opt to pass sideways or back. If he did keep going for Stevie G outside of the right boot cross field ball and it fails we lose the ball, fans moan and SOD gives him a dressing down for his decision making. I was impressed with his work rate against Swindon and was always trying to get things going whilst helping out on each wing. A settled midfield will help long term but for now I think he is doing a grand job

Mixed so far for me. He looks the real deal when blessed with time and opportunities to show off his range of passing, he appears disciplined and shows a willingness to retain posession. However, when put under pressure he has conceeded posession too often for me, perhaps a symptom of his desire to find a red shirt rather than hoik it down the touchline. I hope he flourishes but he still seems a raw prospect, as do many in the side to be fair.

This is pretty much spot on re Pack.

He's clearly got the ability to do well. You are right that he has conceded possession a few times (not too often though as you suggest) when under pressure, and I think you are right that this is due to his desire to find a team-mate rather than kick it anywhere.

He's new to this level of football and so far, for me, he's doing fine. And will get better.

Cole Skuse was on significantly less than other first team regulars, and while Pack would be on less, u would be suprised by Skuse pay in comparison to others.....his mrs was certainly unhappy about it, more so than Skuse from what I've heard.....and his mrs isn't the thick type, being a teacher n all.

That may be so. However, teachers are adroit at thinking they have a hard life and are poorly paid whilst enjoying their 13 weeks holiday a year.....

The fact that he was on less than our most overpaid players, doesn't mean he wasn't overpaid. I was merely pointing out that the comparison neatly mirrors the change in our side as a whole.

Without the class of JET this season I dread to think where we would find inspiration from (Bryan aside), a few more need to step up and be willing to offer themselves as matchwinners for us to climb the table.

Kind of agree with your first paragraph Mr Orbital, though I would add that a player can only make a pass if a team mate is available.

Watching a bit of Orient on Monday, it was clear that understanding and familiarity is really important. Perhaps, they haven't got the best set of players in this league, but they certainly have the best team (at the moment). Injuries etc may well catch up with them, but they play as a team. That has taken at least a season.

Most teachers do a brilliant job and should be paid more.

However, they do have an awful lot of holidays. I think it's a fair trade off - an intensive job but greater respite.

However, some teachers, who might be related to me, whinge endlessly about their lot and it grates.

Back-tracking, now! I'm wondering if our esteemed head coach could use a break-perhaps a weekend down Brean, bit of sea air, a ride on the donkeys, some lively evening entertainment. Time for reflection, take stock. Plus a few Black Country types to hang out with.

But never mind all that. Marlon Pack, he looks okay, has the coach's backing, expect to see a steady improvement.

Archived