IGNORED

The Careys & Tinnions (Regulars) Of The Future?

hippy273

Since our defeat to 1-0 on the play off final in 2007, only Carey, Marv and Fontaine are the last remaining players of that team, and for the past 10 seasons we have had only 8 players that have featured over 200+ appearances. In SOD's 'transition' could you see any of our youngsters being the next Cole Skuse? or any players we have signed for that matter.

On average most of our players who have made over 100 appearances for the club have lasted 4-5 seasons, But i think the temptation of wages behind the scenes moreso than the chance of playing better football (just look at League One, do you think the standard is any different from the Championship from what you've seen generally?). I think the long term regular player is a dying breed unfortunately, but something we need to see more of now we have younger players.

Keeping the faith with SOD.

Shouldn't think we will ever have 8 or 9 players having come through the academy playing regularly for City. There is just not enough young good enough players to go round. I think we would struggle to hit that even if we were in the Premier league. How many did Man Utd ever have regularly playing for them - and look at Man Utd's resources - kids fall over themselves to get into the Man U youth set-up, and Man U "buy" in dozens of the better kids from other clubs youth set-ups.

Bet they have more kids on their books than most other teams.

Joe Morrell? People on here raved about him pre season.

I'm wondering what influence Tinman is having on the youth team now he's in. From what I 'd read he'd been setting up an academy in Spain with links to some professional clubs. I wondered if we'd see a couple of Spanish kids come over. They play sod's style of football, and a bit of competition from some more technically players might help some of the other lads develop. Wouldn't want an El Swans situation, but 2 or 3 might help bring the others along.

Joe Morrell? People on here raved about him pre season.

I'm wondering what influence Tinman is having on the youth team now he's in. From what I 'd read he'd been setting up an academy in Spain with links to some professional clubs. I wondered if we'd see a couple of Spanish kids come over. They play sod's style of football, and a bit of competition from some more technically players might help some of the other lads develop. Wouldn't want an El Swans situation, but 2 or 3 might help bring the others along.

If the Gas can have a Brazilian youngster in their youth squad, why the hell not :)

Joe Bryan will be captain in 5 or 6 years

Hope not!!

He will only still be here if he isnt good enough for the higher lever

I want all the good young kids getting into the city side

to be wanting us only as a stepping stone to bigger and better things

If they are happy just to play at city their hunger is not strong enough

Not all academy players, but there's no reason why anyone out of Derrick Wiliams, Joe Bryan, Jordan Wynter, Bobby Reid, Wes Burns, Joe Morrell, Greg Cunningham, Marlon Pack and Jay Emmanuel Thomas can't become long-term players at our club. In fact, the fact that we have so many youngsters (every one of those is 22 or under) that are this highly rated just goes to show a) how clever SoD and KB have been in the transfer market and b) why we have to buy in to SoD's long-term vision of the club. That's 9 players all with high potential, and all signed relatively cheaply (perhaps with the exception of Cunningham and arguably JET due to the swap deal).

Not all academy players, but there's no reason why anyone out of Derrick Wiliams, Joe Bryan, Jordan Wynter, Bobby Reid, Wes Burns, Joe Morrell, Greg Cunningham, Marlon Pack and Jay Emmanuel Thomas can't become long-term players at our club. In fact, the fact that we have so many youngsters (every one of those is 22 or under) that are this highly rated just goes to show a) how clever SoD and KB have been in the transfer market and b) why we have to buy in to SoD's long-term vision of the club. That's 9 players all with high potential, and all signed relatively cheaply (perhaps with the exception of Cunningham and arguably JET due to the swap deal).

They may have high potential but unfortunately many players who stay long term at AG fail to fulfil that potential and instead have a habit of stagnating rather than sreadily improving.

Cole Skuse, of course, being a prime example.

They may have high potential but unfortunately many players who stay long term at AG fail to fulfil that potential and instead have a habit of stagnating rather than sreadily improving.

Cole Skuse, of course, being a prime example.

Being a regular in a Championship side would class as fulfilled potential for any one of the examples I listed in my opinion. To what extent has Cole Skuse failed to reach his potential? Did any City fan think that he'd be a Premier League player as a youngster? I highly doubt it.

Is one way of looking at it. Another is a) more of the players you mention were here pre-SOD and KB and b) they failed to address a need for adequate reinforcements at the back and we are left with short-term remedies (and another loan recruit in the offing it seems - another short term remedy) for an area needing improvement for about 3 seasons and such an imperative area.

I'm not saying they've been bad in the market, but it is a bit like the criticism levelled at Del last summer... The players brought in were decent, its just one massiveN gaping hole has still been left to be filled.

Archived