IGNORED

Christmas

Red white and red

Christmas? That time when you have to unnaturally sit around with the family and no ones got the balls to express what a farce the whole bollox is? Boxing Day games are always coveted in stupid turkey cliches and lethargic football?

The "C" word should be reserved for one day and one day only : 25/12.

Our first season in the basement (note to gappers, we only had TWO) we were bottom at Xmas and at the end very nearly got promotion ,would have been in the play-offs, but not been invented then !

Even more recently, in Sept 2000 we were second from bottom, we beat bottom side Oxford Utd at the Manor Ground with a scrappy 1-0 win and by 23rd December had moved up to 5th in the table after beating the woeful, silent Gas on a Friday night. I think that was Wilsons first full season in charge and one win changed the confidence within the team and the fans. I'm really hoping for something similar to happen this season.

Under John Wards promotion winning side we were in the following positions:

04/10/97 Position played pts

19th 9 11

26/12/97 Position played pts

2nd 24 52

Yes the points on the 04/10/97 are double that of now but it just goes to show what can be done. Ward's team surprised me as I didn't think they were that good but belief was huge and Sean Taylor was massive.

In our first season in the old division 4 ( 1982-83)we hit bottom place after a 1-0 defeat at Rochdale on 4 December, a identical defeat at chester kept us their, but a 2-2 draw with table topping bury the following week lifted us off the bottom, so we did not spend Christmas bottom, we eventually finished 14 th with 56 points, if the play offs had been in operation and the 7th placed team had taken that place as nowadays that team was York who finished a whole 33 points above us, so a credible second half of the season for us, but we were not bottom at Christmas and we would not just have missed out on the play offs if they had existed. these are 2 preety commonly held myths, the point being that somebody (starbart flast in this case saying something with great authority on this forum doesn't nessxesarily make it true! BTW the last automatically promoted side-S****horpe finished 27 points above us ! (Source Bristol city the modern era by David woods)

In our first season in the old division 4 ( 1982-83)we hit bottom place after a 1-0 defeat at Rochdale on 4 December, a identical defeat at chester kept us their, but a 2-2 draw with table topping bury the following week lifted us off the bottom, so we did not spend Christmas bottom, we eventually finished 14 th with 56 points, if the play offs had been in operation and the 7th placed team had taken that place as nowadays that team was York who finished a whole 33 points above us, so a credible second half of the season for us, but we were not bottom at Christmas and we would not just have missed out on the play offs if they had existed. these are 2 preety commonly held myths, the point being that somebody (starbart flast in this case saying something with great authority on this forum doesn't nessxesarily make it true! BTW the last automatically promoted side-S****horpe finished 27 points above us ! (Source Bristol city the modern era by David woods)

Thank you, I'm not an arbiter on the history of BCFC, but also I always speak from memory of games attended etc. I can't be bothered to dig into books and the like to check facts, it's just the way I remember it. I may not be correct on every single fact, BUT I do think I'm more right than wrong on the general gist of things I say.

I am a slightly pessimistic person, but I like the way the team is starting to shape up. Better footie than I have seen at the gate for sometime. Just the results are disappointing (and I don't use the word "just" lightly either!). But I am also feeling a bit more optimistic because as a starter we are out of the drop zone. I think a few wins are on the cards between now and the festive season, starting with a 2-0 victory this weekend.

Archived