IGNORED

Monkey Tennis

harvey54

Am I the only person that is getting naffed off with the current trend by the likes of the BBC to ram ladies soccer down our throats at every opportunity.

Yesterday was the title decider between Liverpool and Bristol and the match was given high profile status on Radio 5 live all afternoon.

With this in mind I thought I would check today to see how many people attended this 'biggest game of the season'.

Your average League Div 2 crowd.

Political correctness gone mad.

Get it on BT Telly or ESPN, sooner rather than later.

Am I the only person that is getting naffed off with the current trend by the likes of the BBC to ram ladies soccer down our throats at every opportunity.

Yesterday was the title decider between Liverpool and Bristol and the match was given high profile status on Radio 5 live all afternoon.

With this in mind I thought I would check today to see how many people attended this 'biggest game of the season'.

If it doesn't get publicity how do you expect it to grow?

They are trying to generate interest. It's not an unreasonable thing to do. There is a large amount of interest in womens football in other parts of the world, it's reasonable to assume that with publicity a greater following could be drawn from the sporting public in this country.

It is not a costly enterprise for the Beeb and it's not as if there isn't enough airtime to fill is it? Repeats of most programmes are moved from channel to channel throughout the year (not just in the case of the BBC) I don't see why a few minority sports shouldn't get coverage, Basketball for example is another sport that is popular almost everywhere but here.

I am not a fan of Basketball of have ever watched a live ladies match (although I am tempted to go to the Champions League matches when they are at the Gate), but I don't see why the minute coverage they have (one highlights package per fortnight late at night on BBC2) should be an issue with anyone.

The BBC doesn't have the budget to compete with Sky or BT for games, but rights to show women's football cost f all so that's why you see it.

It has nowt to do with the corporation having some anti-football bias and everything to do with the greed of the FA and especially the PL who are happy to see football vanish from free to air providing they get enough TV rights cash to employ an army of blazered halfwits and dole out big chunks to clubs to ensure various berks can afford a new Lamborghini each year.

I agree with the OP's sentiment, but according to my recollection the BBC have always had a tendency to give national coverage to sports events that were of small interest. Those of us old enough to remember Grandstand, may recall live coverage of stuff like ice hockey, motocross or cross country running. These events often used to show crowds in the low hundreds at best.

Personally I'm looking forward to the day Sky or someone pinches Wimbledon so that the BBC can't show it 10 hours a day and babble on about it on every news report like it's the most critical event in the world. I don't like tennis. Golf is another sport that can sod off to Sky. And athletics (especially the Olympics). I could think of more, but I'm aware I'm testing people's patience now, so I'll sod off too.

Good luck to them but i would rather stick pins in my eye than watch Ladies football. When you watch the keepers you can see why many can't take it seriously.

The keepers are shocking it's like their scared of breaking a nail or getting their hair dirty whenever the ball is anywhere near the goal.

I agree with the OP's sentiment, but according to my recollection the BBC have always had a tendency to give national coverage to sports events that were of small interest. Those of us old enough to remember Grandstand, may recall live coverage of stuff like ice hockey, motocross or cross country running. These events often used to show crowds in the low hundreds at best.

Personally I'm looking forward to the day Sky or someone pinches Wimbledon so that the BBC can't show it 10 hours a day and babble on about it on every news report like it's the most critical event in the world. I don't like tennis. Golf is another sport that can sod off to Sky. And athletics (especially the Olympics). I could think of more, but I'm aware I'm testing people's patience now, so I'll sod off too.

Ofcom has a protected list of sports that must be aired on free channels. These two are on the list so even if the beeb lost them they would be on itv/channel 4/channel 5.

Ofcom has a protected list of sports that must be aired on free channels. These two are on the list so even if the beeb lost them they would be on itv/channel 4/channel

I didn't know that. Thanks. Not that it makes me feel any happier. Actually I wouldn't be averse to watching Conference football. Anyone else?

What i dont understand is why Womens football kicks off at 12am or 6pm ?.Surely this is dinner time and tea time and that would mean 22 blokes waiting for their tea.They should make kick off 10 am when they have dropped the kids off to school.

now your being unreasonable BC

that's the time of day for the ironing

or Jeremy kyle

I watched the game yesterday because I wanted to see a Bristol sport team be successful.

However for all the womens effort and commitment from both sides the standard was poor, I cant see it becoming a major sport until the standard improved but this may take years due to the number of girls playing the game.

Feel free to call me a dinosaur-I don't have even the vaguest interest in Ladies football whatsoever.wouldent open the curtains if they were playing in my garden.

Archived