IGNORED

Monkey Tennis

harvey54

I watched the game yesterday because I wanted to see a Bristol sport team be successful.

However for all the womens effort and commitment from both sides the standard was poor, I cant see it becoming a major sport until the standard improved but this may take years due to the number of girls playing the game.

So my point is that this will only happen if the sport gets exposure, if young girls see women playing it may spark an interest. If the game is televised it will generate more revenue which leads to better coaches and improvements in the game.

What I find a bit disturbing is the level of sexism on this thread, if you don't like the game because it's too slow or you don't think the players are good enough, then fine, but if it's just because it's women playing a "mans" game then that does seem a very old fashioned view.

I agree with the OP's sentiment, but according to my recollection the BBC have always had a tendency to give national coverage to sports events that were of small interest. Those of us old enough to remember Grandstand, may recall live coverage of stuff like ice hockey, motocross or cross country running. These events often used to show crowds in the low hundreds at best.

Personally I'm looking forward to the day Sky or someone pinches Wimbledon so that the BBC can't show it 10 hours a day and babble on about it on every news report like it's the most critical event in the world. I don't like tennis. Golf is another sport that can sod off to Sky. And athletics (especially the Olympics). I could think of more, but I'm aware I'm testing people's patience now, so I'll sod off too.

Actually, at the time Grandstand used to show British ice hockey (and it was only the B&H Cup final and the end of season play offs iirc) ice hockey was the 4th most popular spectator sport in the country and the biggest indoor. Teams like Sheffield and Manchester used to get crowds of 8000+ every single week and i've been to matches where there were over 10k present. In case you hadn't guessed, I used to follow ice hockey...

I like how the BBC gives coverage to minority sports; I don't always enjoy watching them but at least I get the chance to find that out. The women's football I've watched has been universally rubbish and in general I won't watch it, but at least I can speak from experience while I suspect most people slating it on here would slate it anyway if it had never been on the box and many may not have watched it anyway

As others have said, the BBC doesn't have the budget to compete for live Premier League matches, but I'd like to see a gesture from the PL and FA guaranteeing that X-number of games are on terrestrial TV every year. Either that or Sky offer up a chunk of The Football League to free-to-air TV.

What i dont understand is why Womens football kicks off at 12am or 6pm ?.Surely this is dinner time and tea time and that would mean 22 blokes waiting for their tea.They should make kick off 10 am when they have dropped the kids off to school.

Also there's the ironing and cleaning, these things don't do themselves

What i dont understand is why Womens football kicks off at 12am or 6pm ?.Surely this is dinner time and tea time and that would mean 22 blokes waiting for their tea.They should make kick off 10 am when they have dropped the kids off to school.

I've seen some of the players - they won't all have "blokes". Civil Partnerships - maybe.

Archived