IGNORED

A Tale Of Two Strikers

Major Isewater

I may be wrong, but Bob Taylor was not a prolific goal scorer at Leeds before he joined us? Then what happened at City? He became a great asset for us and put a lot of balls into the net. He did the same at WBA.

Very rarely are people born "natural" goal scorers. They become good at their job with hard work, experience, and positional sense. Some just become better at it than others.

Lee Hughes has scored more than one goal in his career! I would class him as a ,sorry, natural .

I don't believe anyone's writing off Baldock ,just saying that his conversion rate is not brilliant at the moment and him ,being an intelligent and honest bloke would agree i'm sure.

Lastly i thought a "purple patch" was when things are going well .The patch we're in at the moment is more brown !

Fair. (Can't believe I got my patches confused...! Been an early morning.) I know you haven't written off Baldock, but I have read many posters condemning Baldock as a failure or a waste of money mainly because he hasn't been an instant hit.

I just think the (unfair) comparison to Hughes ( who is 4 goals behind Baldock for the season) doesn't say much other than shovel a bit more dirt on ar Sammy.

Perfect point with te skiing there. No matter how physically prepared you are, if mentally you are not able to go down that hill at speed with confidence, it won't happen.

Same with baldock, if mentally he's not quite there, it has an effect on his physical ability. The two go hand in hand. To say it's not about confidence but about execution is crazy. If your not confident if which shot to take, execution will be poor through misjudgment.

There's a little theory called the inverted u theory which pits confidence against performance. The more confidence you gain, the greater your performance will become, but if you reach a certain level of confidence, it becomes over confidence and that affects you performance. Baldock is at the bottom of this inverted u at the moment IMO

Uni wasn't a complete waste

Perfect point with te skiing there. No matter how physically prepared you are, if mentally you are not able to go down that hill at speed with confidence, it won't happen.

Same with baldock, if mentally he's not quite there, it has an effect on his physical ability. The two go hand in hand. To say it's not about confidence but about execution is crazy. If your not confident if which shot to take, execution will be poor through misjudgment.

There's a little theory called the inverted u theory which pits confidence against performance. The more confidence you gain, the greater your performance will become, but if you reach a certain level of confidence, it becomes over confidence and that affects you performance. Baldock is at the bottom of this inverted u at the moment IMO

Uni wasn't a complete waste

Baldock's career record according to Soccerbase:

08-09 (League One) - 13 goals in 44 appearances
09-10 (League One) - 10 in 28
10-11 (League One) - 14 in 34
11-12 (Championship) - 11 in 30 (6 for MK Dons including a hat-trick before joining West Ham in August, 5 after)
12-13 (Championship) - 10 in 34
When you look at his stats he also goes long spells without scoring then gets a few.
I do think he can come good but he still falls into the unfulfilled potential category for me, and he ain't yet justified what we paid for him but the transfer fees that have been paid for him ain't his fault.
These stats don't reflect confidence, they reflect a bloke who is at best a 15 goal a season player at the moment. Execution, ability, whatever you want to call it he's missed too many chances already this season and these stats suggest that trend probably reflects his career so far.
I'm sure he ain't happy with some of the chances he's missed and his return this season given how many good chances he's had.

Saturday got me thinking about natural goalscorers.

Poor old Sammy firing off blanks and the lovely Mr Hughes scoring with his only touch.One is a natural goalscorer the other is ,like so many attacking players, an honest Pro who has to really work at it.

Lineker,Shearer,Bas Savage,Henry,Rush and company are in the band of sélect players who you would put your mortgage on scoring.

For City i can only think of Goater,superBob,Thorpe and Brooker ( sadly more like "Broker " ) as naturals.

Who else is there that i've missed out?

Tony Thorpe

Tony Thorpe

i might have mentioned him once but i think i got away with it :shifty:

i don't know too many Thorpes who played for City but the Thorpe in my original post was referring to Mr Tony .

Even though he scored for fun he was often criticized by some "supporters" for not pulling his weight ;I wish there was a "running about like a headless chicken" smiley but Alas !

Archived