IGNORED

Bristol City Third Best Supported Team In The Country,,,,,,,,,1958/59

fanjita

I thought this was an interesting bit of trivia,, taken from today's Daily Telegraph;

"There was a time when Bristol City were the third best supported club in the country. In 1958/59 Bristol City then in the old division two boasted an average home attendance of 43,335 - bettered only by Manchester United and Arsenal, the latter only by virtue of a few hundred"

Sounds like a bit of poor research. When I attended the average gate was probably in the 20Ks.

Think the figure that has been reported was the attendance for FA Cup versus Blackpool with the great Stanley Mathews facing one of our old favourites Mike Thresher.

Yes I saw that in the Telegraph this morning

Poor research & lazy journalism

43,335 is the record attendance set back in 1935 v. Preston FA Cup 5th round.........don't know how the reporter

managed to equate that to a 1958 season average

43,335 is the record attendance set back in 1935 v. Preston FA Cup 5th round.........don't know how the reporter

As long as they don't say my father hated Great Britain, I they may get away with this piece of totally unresearched lump of pooh

Sounds like a bit of poor research. When I attended the average gate was probably in the 20Ks.

Think the figure that has been reported was the attendance for FA Cup versus Blackpool with the great Stanley Mathews facing one of our old favourites Mike Thresher.

And being marked out of the game by him. Apparently Thresh asked the great man for his autograph after the game, too :)

I thought this was an interesting bit of trivia,, taken from today's Daily Telegraph;

"There was a time when Bristol City were the third best supported club in the country. In 1958/59 Bristol City then in the old division two boasted an average home attendance of 43,335 - bettered only by Manchester United and Arsenal, the latter only by virtue of a few hundred"

I was born in 1959 so make that 43,335 + 1

I was too young to know the difference..........................BITTY MUMMY !

And being marked out of the game by him. Apparently Thresh asked the great man for his autograph after the game, too :)

That's right. My Dad reckons Sir Stan had never even seen Thresher before, whereas Mike knew all about Matthews.

Interesting article..

City arrived in Burslem as the only team in League One without a win to their name, albeit with a reputation as a team who has outplayed most opponents this season, only to gift them goals. They left Vale Park with that reputation intact.

City dominated a Port Vale team who, under the tutelage of Micky Adams, have adapted well to life in League One. Recent wins against Wolves and Coventry City which elevated Vale into the top half of the table has prompted the entry of play-offs into vocabulary of their fans. Following this entertaining match, however, the realists among the Vale faithful may be given to more sober assessment.

Driven forward by the intelligent play of Bobby Reid, the power of Marlon Pack and the runs of Scott Wagstaff, from the opening minutes Vale were subjected to a torrid afternoon. The home side never came to terms with Jay Emmanuel Thomas, who fulfilled a role in the hole behind Sam Baldock with aplomb. It was the former Arsenal man who set-up Citys goal in the 54th minute

I looked up our historical averages on one of the stats sites a few weeks back. Our highest season average was sometime in the mid/late 50's and that was under 30k.

current crowds are probably about our average for where we are in the ladder. Having said that I would have thought the population of our catchment area has goen up by more than the 30% or so that the uk pop has risen since the mid 50's. So maybe are crowds are falling....

I looked up our historical averages on one of the stats sites a few weeks back. Our highest season average was sometime in the mid/late 50's and that was under 30k.

current crowds are probably about our average for where we are in the ladder. Having said that I would have thought the population of our catchment area has goen up by more than the 30% or so that the uk pop has risen since the mid 50's. So maybe are crowds are falling....

The highest average we've ever had since records began - 1906 - was 26,575 in 1956. The lowest was 4,799 in 1983.

Decades ago it seems City's crowds could fluctuate hugely from match to match depending on opponents, results, even a new signing. Even in my time I remember the joint signings of Ernie Hunt and Paul Cheesley adding thousands to the next gate.

The population of Bristol may have gone up in recent decades but that figure is deceptive when it comes to local football fans because the percentage of born and bred Bristolians in the population may now be at it's lowest level ever, and certainly presumably lower than City's heyday of crowds, in the old 2nd division, in the 50's.

• Admin

It's official: Bristol City, a Big Club, 1958/ 59.

Nice try, SOD, but the wonky stats speak for themselves

SOD says we are still a Big Club, we're just not a Big Team yet. That'll have to wait until the culmination of the 5 10 year plan when we will be crowned Kings of Europe! :)

Archived