IGNORED

Man City Stars Donate Wages To Halve Ticket Prices For Fans

CheddarReds

"According to the local paper [The Manchester Evening News], the millionaires who comprise the City squad have each donated £1,000 to the cause, allowing the club to give season-ticket holders half price tickets for selected away games during the season."

"The move is part of a wider Premier League initiative to reduce the cost of away games, with clubs across the land setting aside £200,000 to help supporters after a long and hard period of economic downturn."

Think it's a good gesture by Manchester City.

Full article: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/city-stars-donate-wages-halve-ticket-prices-fans-170432329.html

I started a thread on this initiative yesterday by posting;

I see on SSN tonight that each Prem club has been asked to put aside £200,000 to help more fans go to away games. Man U have reduced the cost of all away tickets by £4. I've been in touch with Sky Sports with a novel suggestion;

Start all weekend fixtures at 3.00pm on Saturday as public transport will still be operating when the game ends.

Another idea would be planning fixtures better. Last time M'boro' played Pompey, both games were on a Tuesday night. That distance travelling should be a Saturday.

A few years ago when the fixture list was published, City were at Colchester on the afternoon of August Bank Holiday. Then Essex Constab stepped in and declared there was a music festival on that day and they didn't have enough officers to attend both events. They had the match moved to Tuesday night which greatly reduced the number of travelling City fans. I'm convinced that with a clever lawyer, Colchester could have sued the police for loss of potential income.

This is a PR stunt that does nothing to endear these players to me. £1000 is approx 1% of these players weekly wages.

1% of a weekly wage for most normal people is the approx equivalent of 1, maybe 2 pints in the pub. How many people have regularly chipped in with £5, £10, £20+ to good causes when friends or family do fundraisers. I'd have thought a lot!

£1000 is a lot to most but literally nothing to these guys. That's why I struggle to give them ANY credit at all because the motivation is more about PR for the club and players then what they're actually doing with the money.

This is a PR stunt that does nothing to endear these players to me. £1000 is approx 1% of these players weekly wages.

1% of a weekly wage for most normal people is the approx equivalent of 1, maybe 2 pints in the pub. How many people have regularly chipped in with £5, £10, £20+ to good causes when friends or family do fundraisers. I'd have thought a lot!

£1000 is a lot to most but literally nothing to these guys. That's why I struggle to give them ANY credit at all because the motivation is more about PR for the club and players then what they're actually doing with the money.

If man city have a 23 man squad who all donated £1000 that is a lot of money donated to something that isn't a requirement for the people on the recieving end. If I can't afford to go the football... I just don't go. If city were to pay for me to attend one game i would be more than happy with that.

Yes let me join in.... curse these brazen man city players. Their gesture is an insult. I am so proud my club has not stooped so low. I would gladly pay full whack on inflated prices everytime.

Extending the principle of rejecting such marginal gifts lets just hope the club dont knock a pound off the price of shirts in the new year either. With a club turnover exceeding £20m a year, a quid discount represents a one zillienth discount. No thank you.

COYR.

Whilst the players shouldn't be criticised for giving money, it is a slightly empty gesture; it might have been more stirring for every member of the squad to give 1 days wages; that might be £1000 for the 18 year old 'prospect' but it could be £10000 for a first team star. The elephant in the room of course is that the richest person associated with man City is Sheik Mansour who probably gives £1000 to the kids packing his shopping in Morrisons as a tip. If the players can find some pocket change for this, surely he can too?

Wasn't there a campaign a few years ago asking the high earning players to donate a days wages to a charity, who then dispersed as they saw fit?

I wonder how many actually did?

I seem to remember one high profile player, may have been John Terry, being asked about nurses pay, and walking straight into the trap and having to justify what he earned compared to an underpaid, overworked, stressed out nurse making life or death decisions. The look on his face said it all

As for Man City, the players didn't have to do it, but £1k from Yaya? As someone said, that's like my giving £1 to charity - he could sub an entire match (and travel) on his own and not miss it

I must be missing something here.....!

How does around 30 players donating £1k each (£30k) translate into offering season ticket holders half price entry to selected away games..?

What is the average away allocation for a prem game? 3K at a guess..? If that whole amount was used up in just one selected fixture, it would only knock a tenner off the price of a ticket which costs what, £50 on average...?

Don't get me wrong, any initiative to help supporters is a good thing, but this doesn't make much sense and if the players were REALLY on board with the idea, then a far more generous donation per player might actually make some inpact without barely affecting their bank balance once a tax deductable donation had been made.

Even with the £200,000 figure being quoted per club - that would save fans a whopping £3.50 per person per match discount!

WOW! How about the PL come together and simply agree to a maximum ticket price across the board for away tickets of say £30 or whatever it might be and stop with the bullshit PR efforts...?!

Wasn't there a campaign a few years ago asking the high earning players to donate a days wages to a charity, who then dispersed as they saw fit?

I wonder how many actually did?

I seem to remember one high profile player, may have been John Terry, being asked about nurses pay, and walking straight into the trap and having to justify what he earned compared to an underpaid, overworked, stressed out nurse making life or death decisions. The look on his face said it all

As for Man City, the players didn't have to do it, but £1k from Yaya? As someone said, that's like my giving £1 to charity - he could sub an entire match (and travel) on his own and not miss it

I hate this argument. As much as I agree that people who save lives etc deserve the big bucks.... The truth is that until millions of people are willing to spend their money going to hospital every weekend to watch them do it, have scrubs with their favourite doctor's name on, or sky cough up billions for the T.V rights it's not going to happen.

Football is a business that makes billions a year and footballers are a very important commodity within that business.

Yes the money is ridiculous. But if a company- be it a football team or a chip shop- were making a million off the back of my performance and my name I would want my fair slice of it.

I guess the real issue I have is the players that don't earn it through performance or commercially.

I hate this argument. As much as I agree that people who save lives etc deserve the big bucks.... The truth is that until millions of people are willing to spend their money going to hospital every weekend to watch them do it, have scrubs with their favourite doctor's name on, or sky cough up billions for the T.V rights it's not going to happen.

Football is a business that makes billions a year and footballers are a very important commodity within that business.

Yes the money is ridiculous. But if a company- be it a football team or a chip shop- were making a million off the back of my performance and my name I would want my fair slice of it.

I guess the real issue I have is the players that don't earn it through performance or commercially.

Indeed, just to put into perspective..... If Yaya's reported weekly wage is anything like being acurate, then he could pay for 3,000 man city fans to travel too and provide tickets to every single domestic away game out of his own pocket and still be taking home £1.5million EVERY OTHER MONTH!!!! WOW!

Of course, i'm not suggesting any player should feel the need to do anything like this, but it makes a £1k donation look like a bit of a joke.

Don't get me wrong mate, it was an ambush and he walked right into it, not suggesting it was the correct thing to do - but it made the point the journalist wanted to get over

As any player says, if someone offers £10k, £50k, £250k a week, are you seriously going to turn it down? Not many would

Archived