IGNORED

World Cup Memories - What Was Your Favourite

MC RISK77

Evening all, as its International week thought i would try and rouse some memories from years gone past of world cups and what was your favourite matches/moments/players.

For me the 1st world cup i can remember is still my fondest.....Mexico 86. i still cannot think of a better world cup since it had everything for me...

England doing well - Lineker my all time hero banging them in.

France v Brazil

Denmrk v Uruguay

Russia hitting about 20 goals from 40 yards out (Blockhin/Belanov etc)

Panini sticker album and those hairy hungarians

Maradona time and again...single handedly (no pun intended) won the world cup, he was at his prime and was the most magnificent performance by anyone at the worlds biggest stage

Josimar's goal

running back from school to watch tv coverage

Jim Rosenthal highlights show pre school in the morning

Notable mentions go to USA 94, being Italian watching Baggio carry the nation then destory everything was high drama

Korea 2002 and that Beckham redemptiom

Great memories but 86 greatest tournament for me

For me the 1st world cup i can remember is still my fondest.....Mexico 86. i still cannot think of a better world cup since it had everything for me...

I dont remember much about Mexico 86 except for the Panini stickers and wondering what country has a name like 'Deutschland BRD' and where is it? Like you my favourite WC tournament is the first one I really remember, Italia 90. Frightening to think that 20 years in the future 30 year old blokes may actually get all nostalgic over South Africa 2010.

1990 for me. Probably the only chance I will ever get to seeing england win anything.

Thst said we played well in on game... the one we lost.

Moment for me. Big Ron "it's Gascoigne with the big boomer, platttttttttt!"

I dont remember much about Mexico 86 except for the Panini stickers and wondering who the **** 'Deutschland BRD' where? Like you my favourite WC tournament is the first one I really remember, Italia 90. Frightening to think that 20 years in the future 30 year old blokes may actually get all nostalgic over South Africa 2010.

yeah remember BRD....also remember Canada qualifying for that world cup.

South Africa 2010 was ghastly glad i was born when i was...football was so much better when you were a kid

Being a geriatric myself I can still remember 1966. Great as that was England's performance in Italia90 was better, IMO, and we were very unlucky not to win the tournament that year. As far as greatest team is concerned 1970 Brazil were incredible, although you'd have to say that Spain run them very close.

1978 is the first I remember watching and in Englands absence Archie Gemmels goal v Holland was a stand out.

82 Bryan Robson goal v France

86 Lineker hattrick v Poland

90 Platt v Belgium

98 Owen v Argentina

Not much since.

Michael Owen v Argentina in France 98, ultimately another glorious failure, but to watch an 18 year old absolutely terrorise the Argies was unbelievable. If it hadn't of been for the Referee disallowing a perfectly good goal from Sol Campbell who knows what we might have archived back then?

The advantage of being an old stager is that I can remember England actually winning the World Cup in 66. You can't beat that.

The next best thing is Lopez Ufarte. He played in the 1970 World Cup and every time his name was mentioned I had a good laugh.

Being a geriatric myself I can still remember 1966. Great as that was England's performance in Italia90 was better, IMO, and we were very unlucky not to win the tournament that year. As far as greatest team is concerned 1970 Brazil were incredible, although you'd have to say that Spain run them very close.

You really think that? Scaped through qualifying with a 1-0 against Egypt. Looked average against Belgium then 119 minute masterstroke. Awful against Cameroon, two lineker penalties saving our blushes, played well against Germany, but lost on pens. Very average vs Italy.

It is fair to say we were pretty crap. But I like you look back with fond memories because we nearly did it! Platt was a revelation. Morso the Gazza I reckon.

And still to this day never been more gutted than after the west Germany game! We were so so close :(

I think it went pretty unnoticed at the time but in the film 'One Night in Turin' it shows Lothar Mattaus comforting Chris Waddle after he missed the decisive penalty, this despite the rest of the Germans (understandably) celebrating. I thought that showed a touch of class.

1978 is the first I remember watching and in Englands absence Archie Gemmels goal v Holland was a stand out.

Ah, almost forget that. Ally's Army - losing to Peru and drawing with Iran. The sight of him on the bench made Tinnion at Swansea look almost jolly. Then there was that song: "... and we'll really shake them up when we win the World Cup, for Scotland are the greatest football team".

Happy, happy days.....

Italia 90, but mexico 86 not far behind.

The drama of italia still lives on in my head. The music - pavarotti - of the tv coverage, platt's goal, the intense cameroon qf, gazza (his football, personality, tears), not to mention the power cut we had the night of the semi final!! Unbelievable. Unforgettable.

Awful final though!

Ah, almost forget that. Ally's Army - losing to Peru and drawing with Iran. The sight of him on the bench made Tinnion at Swansea look almost jolly. Then there was that song: "... and we'll really shake them up when we win the World Cup, for Scotland are the greatest football team".

Happy, happy days.....

We're all part of Ally's army,

We're going to the Argentine,

And it really is a shame,

'Cos we're losing every game.

We really are the world's worst team.

A Willie Johnston, please, landlord?

What's that sir?

A bottle of Pils :laughcont:

I think it went pretty unnoticed at the time but in the film 'One Night in Turin' it shows Lothar Mattaus comforting Chris Waddle after he missed the decisive penalty, this despite the rest of the Germans (understandably) celebrating. I thought that showed a touch of class.

Yep too be fair to the Germans klinsmann was also first over to southgate after euro 96

You really think that? Scaped through qualifying with a 1-0 against Egypt. Looked average against Belgium then 119 minute masterstroke. Awful against Cameroon, two lineker penalties saving our blushes, played well against Germany, but lost on pens. Very average vs Italy.

It is fair to say we were pretty crap. But I like you look back with fond memories because we nearly did it! Platt was a revelation. Morso the Gazza I reckon.

No doubt that we were awful in the early stages got better as tournament went on and by the the semis thought we were going to win it. Much the better side against Germany and unlucky to go to pens. Had we got through that a depleted Argentina awaited in the final and am sure we would have won. Still, good job we don't have to put up with disppointment with City, eh?

No doubt that we were awful in the early stages got better as tournament went on and by the the semis thought we were going to win it. Much the better side against Germany and unlucky to go to pens. Had we got through that a depleted Argentina awaited in the final and am sure we would have won. Still, good job we don't have to put up with disppointment with City, eh?

If wehad got to the final, surely the hand of Muhammad would have won it for them? God wouldn't have had the balls to do it.

Yep we are truely truly blessed that city are always on their game!

Surprised no-one else has fond memories of Mexico 70. The hope that England could retain the trophy, and THAT Brazil side. Jairzinho, Rivelino, Tostou, Pele, Carlos Alberto etc. Also the sticker album, which I so wish I still had today. The odd kick off times, and the grainy pictures with that distinctive 70s commentary. Football was special in those days.

any other memories other than England in 1990...or do most people benchmark great moments just on Englands performance?

saudi goal in usa I think. Near enough ran the length of the pitc.

Expecting columbia to dominate that world cup and them falling flat on their faces.

Bulgaria same world cup putting in exceptional performances.

Bryan Robson's goal in 27 seconds against France, Espana82. I remember running home from school to watch the game. Still got my Espana82 beach towel bought in Palma Nova at the time…

Italia90 England V Germany…

Staying up really late to watch Romania and Bulgaria matches during USA94 and them both going to penalties…

Hand of God, Mexico86…

England V Argentina, France98…

3 lions on my shirt…

Archived