IGNORED

Good Article Re The State Of The Club (Merged)

SimonL

Seriously? I'd be amazed, not only do I think his stock has fallen since he's been here, it would appear he has a job for as long as he wants it.

I do feel a bit sorry for him, in as much as his mate Burt seems to have followed the well trodden path of the other directors and put on an invisibility cloak and used SOD as a shit shield.

I disagree, his stock may have fallen in fan eyes but I think any smart club looking for a dedicated manager who can do a good job with the right support would see SOD as a great option. Remember that SOD would speak to a club before moving, he'd be able to lay down what's going on here and what he would expect to change at a different club and I'm sure looking at how much we've cut down other clubs can offer a lot more.

I think SOD will go if things continue as they are, there needs to be a serious shift in the current situation if we hope to hold onto SOD, there is only so much a man can take when he's getting the abuse for other peoples changes.

The bottom line is I want a rich geeezer chucking his cash at us without necessarily wanting it back. And no, I don't know any, but other clubs seem to find them easily enough.

That's where we differ then because I'm happy to wait for a stable football club again and one that doesn't rely completely on the whims of one bloke.

My interpretation is the complete opposite. That SL didn't run the club like an ordinary business and was prepared to back his managers to chase the dream and it cost him millions. I don't blame him at all for wanting to see the club try to stand on its own 2 feet for a while. You want someone else to have a go? The only people around that seem to have £50m to waste on a football club are from overseas and I'd rather have a couple of years of scrimping to establish something sustainable and with foundation than become the next Venkys or Tan. Just my opinion though.

This version is much, much closer to the reality in my opinion. The club's had money to spend by the bagful and basically poured it down the drain. There is only one thing about our current parlous state that could possibly get any worse than it already is, and that is that it should follow Cardiff and many others in passing into foreign ownership. The criticism of SL baffles and infuriates me in equal measure. God forbid he should sell the club. His continuing involvement at AG and his commitment to Bristol sport generally is one of the few things that offers any reassurance about the future. Take that away and we are terminally screwed.

Seriously? I'd be amazed, not only do I think his stock has fallen since he's been here, it would appear he has a job for as long as he wants it.

I think his stock has fallen but polls on here still show massive support. There's no reason to think that respect is not also outside the club.

I don't think the job is his as long as he wants it. He'll be gone just after the New Year if we are in the relegation zone.

Maybe he'll leave before he is pushed. Kind of "mutual consent"

The criticism of SL baffles and infuriates me in equal measure. God forbid he should sell the club. His continuing involvement at AG and his commitment to Bristol sport generally is one of the few things that offers any reassurance about the future. Take that away and we are terminally screwed.

Yes, I don't want SL to pull out but what has SL actually achieved?

I appreciate the sentiment Spudski but no-one would ever sign for us!

I know what your saying... but the tide is turning in football.

Players are now out of contract and looking for teams to play in... look at Shorey...

Other teams are starting to cut all over the place... it's only in the Prem where it's so different.

Cost cutting is going to get more and more and players in the Championship and below are going to get used to it.

Especially the yougsters growing up in the Academy's... they'll only know this way.

The money Revolution outside of the Prem is slowly starting to roll imho.

I remember working in a factory as a technician and there was a minimum viable workforce below which the factory may well have had to shut. The accountants were always pushing to cut staff here and there and product quality always suffered as did the reputation of the firm. Steve Lansdown has this accountant mentality.....so, what if the BCFC product on offer on the pitch becomes so shit that there's hardly any support left....does he shut the club down? :blink: What does he think is the minimum crowd level for league games? Is he preparing the club for Div 2/ Conference football? Does he not think it important to win home league games? - the bread and butter for attracting support.

Exactly you've got it spot on. That's what really bothers me. As crowds drop, as they are, the financial cutbacks are then enforced further. As more cutbacks are endured the product becomes inferior ad infinitum. We really are on the precipice of a dangerous spiral into oblivion. Lansdown's only ambition is to balance the books of a club in rapid decline.

Basically he's got to sell a product that people want again. The only way yo do that is by providing points, progress and hope. Where are they?

What makes you think he's got the job for as long as he wants it?? Rubbish, if we don't win soon he's gone.

We all thought McInnes stock had fallen but he got a pretty big job in Scotland at Aberdeen who draw in similar crowds as us. SOD would have no problem getting a job at L1 level and may even still interest some in the C'Ship. To other clubs, he'd just be another managerial failure at Bristol City along with Coppell and McInnes...we'd still be the only real blot on his record.

As for Burt, ultimately most people think recruitment over the summer was spot on so that's why he isn't taking much flack.

Do you think the board have the guts to make that decision?

Look at this forum, two thirds of posters, if the polls are to be believed, are backing him to the hilt, prepared to give him as long as it takes. Why would the board rock that boat? Can you imagine the flak they'll get if they sack him. I reckon they'd get more grief for that than SOD would for taking us down if you believe what posters say on here.

Exactly you've got it spot on. That's what really bothers me. As crowds drop, as they are, the financial cutbacks are then enforced further. As more cutbacks are endured the product becomes inferior ad infinitum. We really are on the precipice of a dangerous spiral into oblivion. Lansdown's only ambition is to balance the books of a club in rapid decline.

Basically he's got to sell a product that people want again. The only way yo do that is by providing points, progress and hope. Where are they?

And we win our next 2 games (we can hope!) and everyone will be crowing about how SL's doing the right thing. This is such a doom and gloom picture that I just don't see to be the reality yet. EVERYTHING surrounding the club's been negative since Tuesday night, some of the Port Vale positivity feels like months ago now let alone six days.

This version is much, much closer to the reality in my opinion. The club's had money to spend by the bagful and basically poured it down the drain. There is only one thing about our current parlous state that could possibly get any worse than it already is, and that is that it should follow Cardiff and many others in passing into foreign ownership. The criticism of SL baffles and infuriates me in equal measure. God forbid he should sell the club. His continuing involvement at AG and his commitment to Bristol sport generally is one of the few things that offers any reassurance about the future. Take that away and we are terminally screwed.

That's why i'm happy with him taking a back seat and not medling in football matters anymore.

Let SoD and his staff get on with the job in hand.

However... It would be good for SL and the board to openly make a rallying call and open letter backing their manager and giving a more definitive article on where the Club are... it's just a bit quiet from the Club imho... Poor old SoD is just taking the flake... no wonder he looks grumpy... I know I would.

I think his stock has fallen but polls on here still show massive support. There's no reason to think that respect is not also outside the club.

I don't think the job is his as long as he wants it. He'll be gone just after the New Year if we are in the relegation zone.

Indeed, we had Roy Hodgson as assistant manager then manager from 1980-82 during our fall. Roy Hodgson has been proven to be a superb manager and now manages England. Once a club is set into decline by bad boardroom decisions there isn't much any manager can do about it. We could have Jose Mourinho here and I doubt he'd do any better than SOD given the circumstances - but he would get more bums on seats and more media publicity while here.

I remember working in a factory as a technician and there was a minimum viable workforce below which the factory may well have had to shut. The accountants were always pushing to cut staff here and there and product quality always suffered as did the reputation of the firm. Steve Lansdown has this accountant mentality.....so, what if the BCFC product on offer on the pitch becomes so shit that there's hardly any support left....does he shut the club down? :blink: What does he think is the minimum crowd level for league games? Is he preparing the club for Div 2/ Conference football? Does he not think it important to win home league games? - the bread and butter for attracting support.

What about a unified Bristol United FC. What if he (SL) bought Rovers too?

There is progress and hope...just not the points yet.

Unfortunately there are many fans that only want to be attached to a winning team.

This season the football on show has been far more entertaining than most of our seasons in the Championship.

People just can't see past winning at the moment.

LIttle doubting SOD has a friend indeed in AS.

There is little in that article that you can argue with and it is extremely damning of the current board. AS may have upset a few in higher places for writing that article and that is incredibly commendable.

Whilst I have explained I am one of SOD's detractors and not the biggest fan I absolutely can see that he has been stitched up here.

Like has been mentioned above I believe if he were to be offered another role he would jump at it, and who could blame him? I'm not sure his stock will be damaged by his spell here because people in football will know Bristol City is a rotting club and is a different challenge to what he would face at most others.

I assume that the board read newspapers, so if they read The Post, this is the perfect opportunity for them to put their case. Keith Dawe and Jon Lansdowne have, quite rightly, been criticised for their poor / non existent communication. Perhaps the can admit their mistakes and actually say what they are going to do differently in the future.

Personally, I’m not holding my breath waiting for a response, as this issue has been clear on the forum for months.

What about a unified Bristol United FC. What if he (SL) bought Rovers too?

Steve Lansdown's now got his fingers in too many pies in my opinion. He also owns the rugby club as far as I'm aware and you'd expect them to be back in the Premiership with Steve Lansdown backing them....but they're not. A unified Bristol United FC.....I personally think the Bristol area has too few league football clubs as it is.....merging BCFC and BRFC would make for an ever greater expanse of league football wilderness in Greater Bristol.

• Admin

There is progress and hope...just not the points yet.

Unfortunately there are many fans that only want to be attached to a winning team.

This season the football on show has been far more entertaining than most of our seasons in the Championship.

People just can't see past winning at the moment.

This is nothing to do with the football and the points we have.

This is about the mess "upstairs"

Do you reckon? So let's say we sacked him tomorrow, at his next interview, he may be able to explain away that he has gone 19 games without a win, because Bristol City as a club are a basket case BUT how would he explain that he also went of a run of only 1 win in 26 prior to getting the bullet at Doncaster? This winless streak is not a new experience for Sean I'm afraid.

I can't see him walking or being headhunted.

With this club, I get the feeling that SL and/or the board are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Going back 10 years, Danny Wilson failed to get us out of the third division despite being given financial backing by SL. Gary Johnson came in and with some astute signings achieved what DW failed to do. In the championship GJ was also backed financially by SL, but I can also well remember the criticism on here that we weren't going for the so called "big name" players that many felt were essential if we were to compete with established championship clubs.

I presume those mythical big name players would have been even more expensive that players we did sign, so would have made our debt position even greater. Also it has always seemed to me that as a club we have struggled to attract good players because we are a footballing backwater. As a result we have had to pay over the odds to get players here meaning that we have all to often ended up with over priced and over paid players, relative to their value to us out on the pitch. Those chickens have come home to roost big time since ffp started to bite - even more so following relegation.

If SL controlled the spending more over the last decade, then he would have been be accused of stifling the manger's ability to be competitive out on the pitch. Many say that SL needs to take the advice of football people, but he has backed his managers ( the football people) in the transfer market, so is he to blame if those managers make poor decisions about players?

For most of the last decade , SL has been the typical wealthy club owner/chairman, ploughing his money into the club chasing the footballing dream that the majority of fans share. The simple truth is that during this time a majority of fans would have felt that success was down to money and how often have we seen posts asking for SL to dip his hands into his very deep pockets to bail us out - time and time again.

SL has made mistake sand has admitted to those over the last year, especially when talking about the way the club needs to be going forward. Financial necessity is heavily forcing the issue as league 1 financial restrictions have forced us to prune back the club's expenditure to comply and also reinforce the reasons behind the new football philosophy i.e. brining through academy players, and buying young players with the right potential.

Steve and the board have done the right thing as far as putting in place a long term strategy. Where they keep falling flat on their faces is their communication of where we are on that road. If we were getting results and were nicely placed in the table then I doubt that anyone would bother whether we heard from the board or

not. The problem is that the sceptics among the fan base see results as the only measure and for these fans I think the board needs to speak, if only to give SOD public backing - not the dreaded vote of confidence, but that the club's plans are on track. If not, then the danger is that fans will start to think that SOD is the only person at the club working to a long term plan, and that the board have a something more short term in mind, if they have any plan at all.

This is nothing to do with the football and the points we have.

This is about the mess "upstairs"

I know that... I was replying to a post in it's context.

There was a mess 'upstairs'... and I think the owner knew that. Now he's trying to rectify it on the football side.

Unfortunately the Board and SL are really poor at communication with the fans... that is what is causing all the fans frustrations.

Sort that and things should simmer down imho

Yes, I don't want SL to pull out but what has SL actually achieved?

Well, we're still here. Doesn't sound much, but I don't think anyone can say for sure where we'd have ended up without his money over the last ten years. And it's not like there's a queue of billionaires waiting in the wings to invest in a mediocre, unglamorous club like ours.

That said, I of course share your disappointment, hugely. We all thought his involvement and wealth would be more or less a guarantee that we would thrive. Following promotion to the Championship, there was a forward momentum about the club and it seemed for a while like we might be on the threshold of achieving good things. What's happened in the last few years is very, very deflating, even for those of us who saw the club through its greatest crisis in the early eighties, but it is as it is and I don't think there's any other viable strategy now besides than the one we're currently pursuing.

Do you reckon? So let's say we sacked him tomorrow, at his next interview, he may be able to explain away that he has gone 19 games without a win, because Bristol City as a club are a basket case BUT how would he explain that he also went of a run of only 1 win in 26 prior to getting the bullet at Doncaster? This winless streak is not a new experience for Sean I'm afraid.

I can't see him walking or being headhunted.

Well he managed to explain the Donny run well enough to Florist, Blackpool, Barnsley and us, so yes....why not?!?

Bloody hell I have been banging on about the ineptitude of this board and owner for the best part of 4 years. At last it has taken someone someone who's job it is to bring this to peoples attention! 4 years too late imo, damage is done.

And it is only now that a lot of people can see it, because they only see what is happening on the pitch to gauge an opinion!

Bloody hell I have been banging on about the ineptitude of this board and owner for the best part of 4 years. At last it has taken someone someone who's job it is to bring this to peoples attention! 4 years too late imo, damage is done.

Can we assume you were happy with the previous 6+ years of our "inept" owner then?

u

And it is only now that a lot of people can see it, because they only see what is happening on the pitch to gauge an opinion!

I totally agree... but the damage is done and we have to live with it.

I think SL stepping back and the board letting SoD get on with it within the new restictions is a good thing.

I think they've realised they've made mistakes and know **** all about football and are now trying to do something about it.

Perhaps they are being too stealth like for the fans liking... but perhaps also that's a good thing as apart from SL they seem poor at comminication.

From what i've seen on the pitch this season... we are going in the right direction.

For those who don't go it's hard to gauge because they only see points and league tables...

I've been going for years and the football we are trying to play is the best for a long time... it will come... it's just taking forever to get that win.

Well he managed to explain the Donny run well enough to Florist, Blackpool, Barnsley and us, so yes....why not?!?

One poor run is probably easier to explain away, repeating it at another club, less so. It can't be someone elses fault every time, can it?

Archived