IGNORED

Support Your Local Football Club

WTMS

SYLC.png

2012, during a trip to watch North Brabant’s finest Willem II v Dordecht near Tilburg Centraal, while studying the graff writers work adorning the train station a sticker is spotted, REOME & GLORIE - SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FOOTBALL CLUB. A short succinct message from a Willem II webzine. Within weeks the Willem II supporting City fans had turned the idea around for the streets of Bristol and Bristol City.

Whose streets? Our streets! Is a chant associated with they’m lefty wing protesters and the streets of Stokes Croft BS1 in our fine City. Walk the streets of Stokes Croft and it is impossible to ignore a community making a poignant statement. Space everywhere is claimed by artists and the not so arty turning Stokes Croft into an outdoor gallery, a place with a unique character, a run down rough round the edges place, but with a obvious defiant sense of pride. They are attempting to visually own their enclave of Bristol.

NOW..

Other streets of Bristol from Wurzel TM, cross the banana bridge heading down to East Street then along into North Street and you will see more exposure for the annual anarchist book fair than you will for BCFC. That is part of Bristol City FC’s backyard. Contrast that with the vivid vibrant backdrop that is Stokes Croft.

What poignant statement is Bristol City making on those streets? Take it Chelsea/Man City/Man Utd? We appear insignificant. ****. Tis the truth tho.

How does being invisible remind people there is a football club here?

Where is thy pride and passion?

Walk along West Street BS3 and there signs that this is Wurzel City’s territory, this is not to be taken over by Chelsea and their glory hunting “fans”. Stickers can be sighted - Pride of Bristol, Support your local football club, Angry Robin stencils and banners at the Lions, again with the Miners just off West Street. Signs of resistance v the blanket pernicious coverage the Premier league gets.

2011_1003pics0003.jpg

Evening Post sometime in April 2011 Bristol City’s Chief Executive Guy Price talks in business - babble about a bold and exciting “brand” becoming part of peoples consciousness. September 2013, one relegation later, Guy “the brand” Price announces he is doin one leaving the ship, salary trousered and near nada changed. If fans can’t spot a change in direction the public won’t either. Most of the populace of Bristol barely still know City exist. City are part of an unconsciousness.

There should be no doubt whose gaff this all is. Bristol City can’t compete on many levels with the greed is good league’s foreign owners billionaires and all the TV mullah lavished on the Premier leagues teams, but we CAN more than hold our own, we CAN knock the Granny out of them [peacefully City Sandwich Fillers!] on the street.

At the moment too few [enough for a six aside team, an XI baring injuries, but no squad] are involved in raising the clubs profile street style. Multiply fan involvement and the clubs profile is raised.

Fans have created artwork, badges, clothing, fanzines, posters, stickers previously …There has been a banner drop off the Tobacco Factory in Red Trouserville, an Ernie stencil campaign and the annual Flag Day at the Lions.

8.jpg

MORE mass is required.

So, we increase these righteous activities wherever we can and in any form we are the peepaw choose. No need to paint [Dulux weather shield fifteen year all - weather protection is the midfield general in its field mind ..] your Des Res red, a scarf or a flag, or anything visual in the window all adds red and white colour where there was once none.

Bristol City is the best side in Bristol, we are the West Country’s team, we are Charlie Big Potatoes, we are the Pride of the West, the Pride of Bristol, we are as cool as ****, CAF. Show it. Time to get that presence out on those streets, time to raise our game.

Do something, anything visual and City related, audacious, bold, weird, scenic, do it then photograph it, send it here/there/anywhere, but be arsed to do one anything at least. Attempt to help to create a broader live collaborative street scene in support of City, our Community based football club.

st12_zpsbb3dc4d7.jpg

Now … Ahem to the tune of We shall not be moved in a fast and lively allegro [(109–132 BPM drummer).

OUR NAME IS BRISTOL CITY

**** NOT CHELSEA

WE PLAY AT ASHTON GATE BS3

BE PROUD TO COME FROM THE WEST COUNTRY

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL CLUB

Yerp, this project has [could have] its own terrace ditty. Six years ago a couple of Eastend coves contrived an idea - Johnson said and its aerobic terrace work out. 100% contrived. It wasn't thought to be all that at the time, but look what happened to that one. Rocked a few stands displacing years of bat and pigeon shit, blokes called Richard orf the BBC wanting interviews, 4-4-2 magazine seemingly getting the full on reluctance to put litso to ideas, evil Sky being sent an e mail in response to an enquiry about the programme with the tits and fanny on it from Torkey, an e mail the enigma machine would not be able to decipher.

This can have a bit of momentum. We can do something significant by being bold and audacious. We can get daily reminders on OUR streets, do it properly and City might even gain a few new young fans to this proper and street savvy club. Start winning and City might even gain lots more new young fans to this street savvy local club.

Yes there will be some more stickers ..

1170897_10200745410093015_1467392112_n.j

DSCF3220.jpg

66528_4736731945796_186430214_n.jpg

supportyourlocalcopy_zps9ead56ed.png

http://www.whenthemoonshines.co.uk/

Increased exposure is a good idea and the City club's identity should be prominently displayed in its own city, but....

It's the shit experience you get down there that ultimately puts people off. Everything's a rip-off, badly organised and you seldom see a win.

Keep up the good work and I'm sorry for the negative moan.

send me a sticker and I'll get you a photo of it stuck to the equator sign ;)

Would be fun to have a thread of photos taken of these stickers in places.. The further away, hardest to reach, or just plain outrageous might get a little kudos.. Maybe the club could give away a signed shirt or something (or would they think it as vandalism/graffiti:ish)

Would be fun to have a thread of photos taken of these stickers in places.. The further away, hardest to reach, or just plain outrageous might get a little kudos.. Maybe the club could give away a signed shirt or something (or would they think it as vandalism/graffiti:ish)

There are threads of photos on the EE forum of stickers stencils and other things in strange places etc going back over a year or so.

Well done to the OP. I wore my City shirt to work in Gas terority on Friday and took a bit of stick (not from Gasheads of course who have nothing at all to shout about). When asked why I was wearing it at a time like this, I replied this is exactly the time to wear it, easy to wear it when we are at the top of the league.

Increased exposure is a good idea and the City club's identity should be prominently displayed in its own city, but....

It's the shit experience you get down there that ultimately puts people off. Everything's a rip-off, badly organised and you seldom see a win.

Keep up the good work and I'm sorry for the negative moan.

To be fair, I don't have a problem with the football we're playing, but there are other threads for discussing that.

It's the matchday experience that is, indeed, shit. Nothing seems to be done to welcome fans and everything seems to be done to make us feel unwelcome and exploited. The attitude seems to be "we've had your money, so sit down, shut up and go home quietly afterwards".

No attempt is made to make us feel part of the club, and those who make up our first line of contact, gatemen, stewards and food vendors, are at best indifferent and at worst rude and aggressive.

It doesn't have to be that way, but it will continue to as long as the suits who run the club live in their ivory tower and are out of contact to the vast majority of fans.

• Admin

Well done to the OP. I wore my City shirt to work in Gas terority on Friday and took a bit of stick (not from Gasheads of course who have nothing at all to shout about). When asked why I was wearing it at a time like this, I replied this is exactly the time to wear it, easy to wear it when we are at the top of the league.

Can't believe I'm the first to question how easy this would be. It would require us winning a league game at some stage first. Which appears to be everything but easy.

Very few seem to wear red on matchday. I recognise there are different cultures (casuals etc) but if we are all so proud of red and white why do none of us wear it? Surely it would not only look impressive in the saunas but make people around Bristol on matchday pay attention?

Not sure about this. saunas??

Umm, doesn't putting those stickers further afield kind of contradict their message..?!

Also, how many people who don't already support City would know who those stickers referred to via an image of some bloke they've probably never heard of!

Should have kept with the ones with the city badge next to the message, IMO.

Umm, doesn't putting those stickers further afield kind of contradict their message..?!

Also, how many people who don't already support City would know who those stickers referred to via an image of some bloke they've probably never heard of!

Should have kept with the ones with the city badge next to the message, IMO.

Far too deep. Spot the word anything there. Get creative, get a friend drunk, not just drunk, but dribbling can't stand drunk. Get the marker pens out and the red paint, and there is a human City badge canvass to work on. Put them in a wheel barrow and off you go. Friends are worth the sacrifice.

BCFC could market the club via support. Window stickers for fans are neither graffiti or vandalism.

A good garden certificate won't get my windows bricked by passing gas heads. :laughcont: A good point, though and with just a few resources we fans can be very resourceful

According to the family club Gasheads can't throw stones, but anyway get resourceful. Big City flag in window at an accessible height to entice the blue and white prey. Dig a latrine, fill it full of what latrines are dug for, cover it up and with luck one of them will drown in it.

According to the family club Gasheads can't throw stones, but anyway get resourceful. Big City flag in window at an accessible height to entice the blue and white prey. Dig a latrine, fill it full of what latrines are dug for, cover it up and with luck one of them will drown in it.

Bamboo stakes are optional.

A good point, though and with just a few resources we fans can be very resourceful

I was thinking about what the club offer in the club shop. Not much of this nature. The side of the City I reside in thousands of house windows are potential "safe" advertising spaces for BCFC.

Archived