IGNORED

Beers Of The Past...

S. Bristol Born & Red

Remember these beers of the past... you don't see them around now - mainly lagers as that's my drink, but there must be cider and ales that you remember drinking...

Kestrel Lager (Youngers), Harp Lager, Arctic Lite, Colt 45, Castlemaine XXXX, Lamot, Hofmeister....Tenents Extra (5%) (not the Super)..

I also remember Ben Truman ("Taste The Hops") and Long Life beer (Ind Coope)...my old man used to drink it

Castlemaine was one of my favourite lagers, I wondered where it had gone too and have looked it up to find it diisappeared in 2009:

XXXX was brewed under licence in the UK by InBev Ltd until 2009. It was commonly available in cans in British off licences and sometimes on tap in British pubs, although it was much less widely available than Foster's (which is found in many UK pubs). At 3.7% alcohol, the British brewed XXXX was somewhat weaker than most of the Australian variants. Castlemaine XXXX was withdrawn from the UK at the end of June 2009 when InBev's licensing agreement expired.[3]

Carling Premier gave me one of my worst hangovers ever, it must have been stuffed with chemicals to keep the head all the way down to the bottom of the glass. Liked the taste but never touched it since. Glad it's gone.

Newquay Steam Beer was superb, had a Grolsch-type bottle. And this is what happened to it:

Well ‘Newquay Steam Beer’ was a victim of its own success. It outsold the major beer seller in the southwest by miles. The competitor had to produce something better or lose out.

Their money men suggested that they should buy the rights to the name, the recipes and the artwork and sell it as their own. They were missing the secret ingredient and the flair to drive the brand forward and so after quite a short period of time ‘Steam Beer’ sank without a trace.

Not that i drank it myself, too young, but as a kid I can remember Watneys red barrel being very popular, with a red barrel outside pubs that sold it. I can remember a joke told by Mike Reid at Butlins about looking for somewhere to get a drink in Amsterdam, seeing what he thought was an illuminated red barrel and thinking `ah Watneys`...... Also Watneys party 7 was a house party favourite.

Castlemaine was one of my favourite lagers, I wondered where it had gone too and have looked it up to find it diisappeared in 2009:

Carling Premier gave me one of my worst hangovers ever, it must have been stuffed with chemicals to keep the head all the way down to the bottom of the glass. Liked the taste but never touched it since. Glad it's gone.

Newquay Steam Beer was superb, had a Grolsch-type bottle. And this is what happened to it:

Well ‘Newquay Steam Beer’ was a victim of its own success. It outsold the major beer seller in the southwest by miles. The competitor had to produce something better or lose out.

Their money men suggested that they should buy the rights to the name, the recipes and the artwork and sell it as their own. They were missing the secret ingredient and the flair to drive the brand forward and so after quite a short period of time ‘Steam Beer’ sank without a trace.

Good call on Newquay Steam Beer, had totally forgotten that....it was a nice drop..seem to remember there were about 3 variations i.e. Pils, Beer and maybe one more?

There's a brilliant video somewhere in the ether of a Yorkshire regional news program interviewing miners (I think) coming off a shift and revealing to them that Barnsley Bitter was to stop being made. There were grizzled men who'd been underground for most of their lives moved to tears by the thought of never tasting it again. A few years ago Acorn Brewery started brewing it again to the original recipe. It's not bad

Caffreys. xxx

I loved Caffreys, still about but I'm pretty sure the abv is lower, same with Boddingtons and the smooth version of Tetleys which I think has practically no alcohol in it at all.

Another drink I loved from the 90's was Carling Premier which was basically flat lager with a head, then again I was about 18 when it came out.

Didn't Guiness do bitter for a while as well?

I was sh1tfaced by about 4PM on the afternoon of Dec 31st 1999 thanks to Hofmeister but haven't seen it since. Maybe it was a casualty of the 'Millenium Bug'?

Not a beer but MD20/20 was the drink of choice for us as 16 year olds hanging around in Bedminster.

• Admin

Don't see Directors about very often these days, was always a nice drop in the winter months.

Don't really see Courage Best or BA around either, they, along with Directors, when kept correctly were decent beers, made in the largest real ale brewery in the country ( or was it the world), before Courage were bought out and shipped up North. You can't move production of a beer that far, because the water is so different.

I don't like too many of the Northern beers, too smooth and served from swan neck pumps to aerate them ( sadly now a common sight in pubs in Bristol) , whereas the Southern Beers, Courages - as was, Fullers, Butcombe etc etc are made with harder water and are best served straight from the barrel or at least through a pump with a straight outlet, not a swan neck.

Don't really see Courage Best or BA around either, they, along with Directors, when kept correctly were decent beers, made in the largest real ale brewery in the country ( or was it the world), before Courage were bought out and shipped up North. You can't move production of a beer that far, because the water is so different.

I don't like too many of the Northern beers, too smooth and served from swan neck pumps to aerate them ( sadly now a common sight in pubs in Bristol) , whereas the Southern Beers, Courages - as was, Fullers, Butcombe etc etc are made with harder water and are best served straight from the barrel or at least through a pump with a straight outlet, not a swan neck.

It's not the swan neck on the pump that aerates the beer and creates the creamy head, it's the 'sparkler' on the end of the pump. As someone who was raised and still lives in the north, I find the southern practice of not using sparklers barbaric! With notable exceptions (Butcombe being one, Sharps being another, southern beer is like dishwater IMO. The best beer in Britain at the minute is being brewed in South and West Yorkshire; West Yorkshire has more breweries per square mile than any other county in the UK. I can heartily recommend the output of Abbeydale, Kelham Island and Bradfield in Sheffield, Nook in Holmfirth, Magic Rock in Huddersfield and Ossett in Wakefield

• Admin

Sparklers and swan necks are the work of northern devils and imps.......

Beer should be served direct from the cask in ideal circumstances. When Courage was moved 'oop north, the chemists thought they had sussed out how to keep it tasting like beer, instead of cream, but it would appear that they failed, that and the marketing people just didn't want to keep the brew going.

The smooth creamy northern real ales just don't do it for me, but they at least are more acceptable than the pastuerised, tasteless nitro kegmuck that the big brewery conglomerates would like to push on us as the only option.

My drinking education began with Courage Best and Directors, fantastic stuff. I did come across bottled Directors a few months back, first time i had seen it in years, still tasted pretty good. I miss seeing Smiles on tap as well, they did some great beers.

Archived