IGNORED

Tv Footage From The Tower Blocks, Before The Dolman Was Built.

Portland Bill

Was skipping through the BBC I player yesterday and thought I should share what I saw.

If you go on to "Documentaries" there are 4 episodes of Britain on film.

Go on to the one entitled "the home front, how 1960's Britain tried to solve the housing shortages" you will see 1960's footage of Bristol and people watching a City game from the tower blocks before the Dolman was built!.

Its 5 mins into the programme, only last a short time, but is interesting.

There were reports that people living in the flats were scared to answer the door on a Saturday afternoon. This was because some Coty fans (allegedly) demanded to come in and watch City. If the resident tried refusing, violence was forthcoming.

When the Dolman Stand was built, the residents complained about losing their view and daylight. To solve the latter there was talk of installing large mirrors to reflect more daylight in. They also complained about a deterioration in TV reception.

There were reports that people living in the flats were scared to answer the door on a Saturday afternoon. This was because some Coty fans (allegedly) demanded to come in and watch City. If the resident tried refusing, violence was forthcoming.

When the Dolman Stand was built, the residents complained about losing their view and daylight. To solve the latter there was talk of installing large mirrors to reflect more daylight in. They also complained about a deterioration in TV reception.

Those were the days, would never get built now of course !

Was skipping through the BBC I player yesterday and thought I should share what I saw.

If you go on to "Documentaries" there are 4 episodes of Britain on film.

Go on to the one entitled "the home front, how 1960's Britain tried to solve the housing shortages" you will see 1960's footage of Bristol and people watching a City game from the tower blocks before the Dolman was built!.

Its 5 mins into the programme, only last a short time, but is interesting.

Thanks for that. Really weird looking at a match from the flats without the Dolman there.

Well worth a look. It's only available on Iplayer until tomorrow (15th) evening.

I remember asking when the Dolman was built on this forum. Pretty sure the reply was 1970.

When the World Cup was staged in England in 1966, the FA wanted to have games all over the country and looked at AG and Home Park. AG was preferred to Plymouth, but we lost out as there was only one stand at the ground.

There had been a stand there, but it was really dilapidated and was condemned.

The Dolman sand took shape in April 1970 and was in use but not quite finished for the start of the 70/71 season. In the October City were home to Oxford one Tuesday night and a gale was blowing. A sudden gust blew away the side panelling at one end. The East End broke out in a chant of "We've got the rubble end"!

• Admin

I had an aged Great Aunt who lived in the flats and if I didn't have the money to get into a game (although security wasn't so tight in those days and sneaking in was often done), I would visit the Aunt when City were playing, luckily it wasn't a common occurrence as I managed to get into most games.

Once the Dolman was built, I managed to get in and see many matches, including the first division games, for free, as the Manager of the bowling club under the stand was a mate of my old man's and he used to let me in.

Archived