IGNORED

Can England Win The World Cup?

Harry

For me it was Andros Townsend, **** knows how he was playing for Yeovil 4 seasons ago. The pace on him tonight was incredible.

Overall, I was very impressed with the whole England team this evening. I've got a good feeling about that side like I did about Bobby Robson's unfancied 1990 England World Cup side.

We won't win the World Cup because of one reason we can all relate too; our defence isn't good enough. Walker looks good right back but isn't 'World class' Jagielka and Cahill do a job at centre back but again neither are 'World class'. Whoever plays at left back out of Cole and Baines is 'World class'. Then theirs Hart. Can be a great keeper but seems to be going through a long rough patch. We look good and exciting going forward but our defence will get exposed by the top teams. 

We won't win the World Cup because of one reason we can all relate too; our defence isn't good enough. Walker looks good right back but isn't 'World class' Jagielka and Cahill do a job at centre back but again neither are 'World class'. Whoever plays at left back out of Cole and Baines is 'World class'. Then theirs Hart. Can be a great keeper but seems to be going through a long rough patch. We look good and exciting going forward but our defence will get exposed by the top teams. 

Take heart from the fact that Wigan won last year's FA Cup - who would have predicted that at the 3rd round stage ?????!!!!! Plenty of quality in the England side to give us a great fighting chance.

Take heart from the fact that Wigan won last year's FA Cup - who would have predicted that at the 3rd round stage ?????!!!!! Plenty of quality in the England side to give us a great fighting chance.

You are right shocks do happen but they never happen to us. It's always a red card or an injury or a penalty shootout or a disallowed goal BUT at some point our luck has to change. Theirs also the fact that no European team has ever won a World Cup staged in South America and we always struggle in the heat. I'd love to see us win it but not this time unfortunately :-(

A bit of realism, we just beat Montenegro ( who had 6 players out) and Poland ( who had nothing to play for) both at Wembley.

Now some people think we can win next years World Cup in Brazil.

I would call myself an optimist, but i draw the line somewhere...............

But lets not forget that if England were to win the WC somehow, then the national celebrations would be so huge and euphoric that many wouldn't have seen the likes of it. I run the mantra of watching football cos I like football and the result is secondary (you have to be that way to support city) but with the WC you have to hope to win. No matter what. I'm a pessimist except when England are at a tournament when we can do nothing but win.

Of course we can win it, but we won't.

We need to be clever with our squad selection and our team selections. Baines has to play in the games against middle to poor teams and Cole needs to player when we'll be on the back foot for longer periods.

We need to play a proper right back and we need to use players like Townsend correctly as he leaves the right back totally exposed.

We need to find a way of getting Rooney on the end of more and ensure flair players like Sturridge get the ball in better positions.

We need to avoid putting Lampard and Wilshere on the pitch

We need to play Carrick next to Gerrard if we shape up with a 4 man midfield.

We need to have a **** load of luck

and we also need to have a **** load more luck

But we're there, and that's a very good feeling.

Absolutely spot on.

As someone else mentioned I am also wary of the CB partnership.

You are right shocks do happen but they never happen to us. It's always a red card or an injury or a penalty shootout or a disallowed goal BUT at some point our luck has to change. Theirs also the fact that no European team has ever won a World Cup staged in South America and we always struggle in the heat. I'd love to see us win it but not this time unfortunately :-(

'we always struggle in the heat.'

No point in going to Qatar then !

The OP in another daft post shock......good to see some of the english romanticising over winning a world cup again, Harry go iron your St Georges sarong and start queuing up outside walkabout with the other masses as its coming home ra ra ra.

As for beating the mighty Azzuri, will give you that but you wont replicate it in a major tournament, you were lucky to take us to pens last year as we utterly dominated and it will be the same again if were pitted against eachother next year. Also lets not foget our 4 world cups.

As for Wilshere, can see where some are coming from he hasnt been the player he was for me either since his injury but to write him off is foolish, full recuperation can take time and he is an outstanding talent. Ramsey is a class example of this,many gooners were questioning his contribution last year, but his form this season is no fluke it is just down to excellent management from Wenger. He trusted him, continued to play him in the big games and is now reaping the rewards of a player who has exorcised what happend at the Britannia and he has looked as good as anyone so far this season.

Not a chance, different when it comes to the World Cup, everyone seems to step up their game except us. I'd love to be proven wrong but the World Cup is a whol different thing to qualifying or friendlies, we're not winner quality, our nation needs a lot more depth of quality before we win the World Cup.

It was good to watch England play a high tempo attacking game last night, it's what we're best at for the time being.

Unfortunately, in the heat and altitude of Brazil against teams who will tap the ball around all game we will need a very different game plan.

As demonstrated in the second half last night we still struggle to keep the ball and our best form of defence was to continue to attack Poland.

Put me down for another R16 / QF exit...

Anyway, who's going?

• Admin

With a bit of luck who knows what we can achieve

Play like we did in the last two games and we will do well in the tournament.

Lets hope Woy has the balls to keep playing these attacking line ups and doesn't sink to far towards being over cautious.

Looking at who has already qualified in a one off fixture there is nobody you would pick out and say we want to avoid them.

Not being on the top seeding may help us, if we can get drawn against someone like Brazil, we would avoid playing them again until the final, plus could be the added bonus of being the opening game of the tournament - now that would be a novelty

Unless we get a bit of luck with the draw, i can see us struggling to get past the group stages this time. Not being seeded makes a big difference.

Still, it was nice to see England going for it in a couple of games. The last Euro competition was just England parking the bus. Much rather we went out fighting.

With a bit of luck who knows what we can achieve

Play like we did in the last two games and we will do well in the tournament.

Lets hope Woy has the balls to keep playing these attacking line ups and doesn't sink to far towards being over cautious.

Looking at who has already qualified in a one off fixture there is nobody you would pick out and say we want to avoid them.

Not being on the top seeding may help us, if we can get drawn against someone like Brazil, we would avoid playing them again until the final, plus could be the added bonus of being the opening game of the tournament - now that would be a novelty

Semi-final normally

Last sixteen for me, when we play a fast tempo we can beat the best, alas the climate will put paid to that, trying to slow it down and play tippy tippy will just play into the better teams hands as at the moment we are not good enough.

I'd like to see us concentrate on the future bringing more youngsters through, use this tournament to bring our game up to a more European style and then go for it in 5 years time.

Can we win it!

Of course we can, any of the qualifiers can, Denmark and Greece both won major tournaments when nobody thought they had a cat in Hells chance.

Will we win it!

Most probably not, but IMO as long as the players show desire and passion, put in a shift and not treat it as some jolly boys outing I'd be happy with last sixteen.

Is it luck? The standard of refereeing in WC finals is abysmal, and FIFA definitely has a grudge against England.

Having said that, I thought last night's ref was excellent, and added to a really enjoyable game. He won't be going to Brazil, then :(

I know some Arsenal ST holders who disagree with you.

How exactly have you watched him EVERY game this season?

Amazed that people are writing off one of the most talented players this country has produced in years at the age of 21.

Too weak in defence especially centre backs with Cahill & Jagielka who are good at club level but not international level and will struggle with top quality opposition.

Rooney is probably still Englands only World Class player which simply isnt good enough at international level.

No European Teams have ever won in South America and we wont cope with the climate.

We may be there but i expect to wimper through Qualification and get beaten in next round

We may well have played at a faster pace last night, but the top nations won't let us play like that and even if we did manage to,they will pick us off on the counter attack.

In International Tournament football the winning teams keep the ball, that's not my opinion that's just fact, we,as a team just can't do that for long enough.

England's qualifying record has been good,but next year the level of teams playing goes up massively.

Archived