IGNORED

Can England Win The World Cup?

Harry

We may well have played at a faster pace last night, but the top nations won't let us play like that and even if we did manage to,they will pick us off on the counter attack.

In International Tournament football the winning teams keep the ball, that's not my opinion that's just fact, we,as a team just can't do that for long enough.

England's qualifying record has been good,but next year the level of teams playing goes up massively.

I know friendlys are different but Spain, Brazil lost to us their last games and Italy couldn't score in the euros before we beat them in a friendly just after. I think this England side is deceptively good, but prone to struggle against weaker teams

Whilst I fully subscribe to all of the many reasons why we probably won't, of course we can win it!

At the end of the day it is cup competition and we are in the last 32 teams left in. So we have a chance.

It is also worth noting that the group you are handed in a World Cup always appears relatively easy to get out of. While we will be slightly hampered by the fact we won't be top seeds and could therefore draw one of Spain, Germany, Argentina etc we will still be given a group that most of us would feel we should qualify from. Even in our widely accepted 'group of death' in 2002, we had Sweden and Nigeria. Now that was no doubt tougher that many other draws we could have got, Nigeria had some decent players then and we for some reason we turn into the legless XI most of the time when playing Sweden, but still, a group we should, and did, get out of. (Of course helped in hindsight by a poor Argentina team). 

If and when we progress from the group stages we then have to win 4 games to win the World Cup. Now I'm not saying I expect us to win those 4 games (and we're hampered by the fact that unlike any other team in the world we have to win within 120 minutes) but even the biggest pessimist regarding England would surely have to accept that a football team stands a chance of winning four games of football.

Just like the majority I would expect us to exit at the second round/quarter final stage whenever we play a top team. If we're fortunate enough to get one of the easier top seeds then we could win the group, get an easier second round opponent and make it to the quarters, but should we get one of the better top seeds than I would expect us to come second and then lose in the second round to one of the group winners.

I would say that our attacking play in the last two games has excited me more than an England team has done in a long time. The pace in which we moved the ball around and our movement off the ball has really excited me, as well Townsend obviously being a revelation.  

We still have the same problems which we won't be allowed to play like that by the better teams in the world, as we all know we don't keep the ball well enough, and we need to get the best out of Rooney which for me means he plays in the position he did last night, but against the likes of Spain we will need to pick an extra midfielder which means Rooney playing as a centre forward and we won't keep the ball well enough which means he will become increasingly isolated. As others have said the situation at right back is quite worrying and I really don't fancy Jagielka at the highest level. He is decent enough, but I went to the Ukraine qualifier at Wembley and even against moderate opposition his lack of pace was exposed numerous times. I would also say that I really do hope Carrick finally gets a run in the team, he gives us a lot of the things we have always lacked over the years, as well as being an excellent partner for Gerrard.

I just hope that we go there, provide one or two moments of excitement and give us a team that we can actually be proud of. Our performance in 2010 was disgusting and I really don't want to suffer that again.

Of course we can win it, but we won't.

We need to be clever with our squad selection and our team selections. Baines has to play in the games against middle to poor teams and Cole needs to player when we'll be on the back foot for longer periods.

We need to play a proper right back and we need to use players like Townsend correctly as he leaves the right back totally exposed.

We need to find a way of getting Rooney on the end of more and ensure flair players like Sturridge get the ball in better positions.

We need to avoid putting Lampard and Wilshere on the pitch

We need to play Carrick next to Gerrard if we shape up with a 4 man midfield.

We need to have a **** load of luck

and we also need to have a **** load more luck

But we're there, and that's a very good feeling.

My. Good. God.

• Admin

Perhaps, I just see another player who has been given a massive reputation too early and is already living off it rather than performing.

Everything I've seen of him since his injuries has disappointed me. I see more in Barkley & Oxlade-Chamberlain, much more.

It's just my opinion, I just don't see what most of the hype is surrounding Wilshere. I watched his debut for Arsenal in the Emirates cup when he was 15 and thought "F me, he's gonna be great." but he's not gone far enough to be considered World Class and I don't think he ever will.

Yes because you can write a player off at 21.

Look at Cristiano Ronaldo who in 2006 was in and out of the Man Utd starting line up and basically just falling over a lot. Before his career has ended he has become the best/second best* player in the world. (*delete as applicable)

Wilshere has every chance of developing his game and becoming a very effective player for England in years to come.

Oh and those questioning England's ability to do well in the climate; the average temps in June/July at the various venues range from 20-31C. That's not oppressive at all.

Oh and those questioning England's ability to do well in the climate; the average temps in June/July at the various venues range from 20-31C. That's not oppressive at all.

I was in Rio for the Brazil v England friendly (2-2) at the end of last season and although the temperature was 'only' in the mid to high 20s, it was the humidity which was the real killer - and in the more northern venues (Recife, Natal, Fortaleza, Manaus) it will be far worse than it was in Rio.

Rest assured it will be oppressive and England will struggle hugely with the conditions if we come up against a team like Colombia in one of those venues!

.The OP in another daft post shock.....good to see some of the english romanticising over winning a world cup again, Harry go iron your St Georges sarong and start queuing up outside walkabout with the other masses as its coming home ra ra ra.

As for beating the mighty Azzuri, will give you that but you wont replicate it in a major tournament, you were lucky to take us to pens last year as we utterly dominated and it will be the same again if were pitted against eachother next year. Also lets not foget our 4 world cups.

As for Wilshere, can see where some are coming from he hasnt been the player he was for me either since his injury but to write him off is foolish, full recuperation can take time and he is an outstanding talent. Ramsey is a class example of this,many gooners were questioning his contribution last year, but his form this season is no fluke it is just down to excellent management from Wenger. He trusted him, continued to play him in the big games and is now reaping the rewards of a player who has exorcised what happend at the Britannia and he has looked as good as anyone so far this season.

Ha ha, now now Marco, control your rabid Mediterranean temper.

There was no romanticism in my opening post, I was merely throwing the question out there that, although we're not really that good, our record over 2 years not to be smirked at.  Clearly there's enough opinion on this to warrant 2 pages to the thread.

As for the St George sarong, come on boss, you gotta admit that I looked cool as f___!! You didn't look too bad in yours either if I recall (ooh Mrs!)  See, even you wear England colours when we're still in the tournament.  It's only when we get knocked out that you switch your allegience to your Sicilians!

There was no romanticism in my opening post, I was merely throwing the question out there that, although we're not really that good, our record over 2 years not to be smirked at.  Clearly there's enough opinion on this to warrant 2 pages to the thread.

As for the St George sarong, come on boss, you gotta admit that I looked cool as f___!! You didn't look too bad in yours either if I recall (ooh Mrs!)  See, even you wear England colours when we're still in the tournament.  It's only when we get knocked out that you switch your allegience to your Sicilians!

haha neither of us looked as comfortable as chief in his

glad you said Sicilian as well.......wonder if Corleone is also Sicilian

Of course we can win it, but we won't.

We need to be clever with our squad selection and our team selections. Baines has to play in the games against middle to poor teams and Cole needs to player when we'll be on the back foot for longer periods.

We need to play a proper right back and we need to use players like Townsend correctly as he leaves the right back totally exposed.

We need to find a way of getting Rooney on the end of more and ensure flair players like Sturridge get the ball in better positions.

We need to avoid putting Lampard and Wilshere on the pitch

We need to play Carrick next to Gerrard if we shape up with a 4 man midfield.

We need to have a **** load of luck

and we also need to have a **** load more luck

But we're there, and that's a very good feeling.

Simples, all we need to do is send Hodgson the above quotes. Footballs coming home !!

Yes because you can write a player off at 21.

Look at Cristiano Ronaldo who in 2006 was in and out of the Man Utd starting line up and basically just falling over a lot. Before his career has ended he has become the best/second best* player in the world. (*delete as applicable)

Wilshere has every chance of developing his game and becoming a very effective player for England in years to come.

I kind of see where JT is coming from. JW is built up as our saving grace but what has he actually done so far in his career to warrant such adulation? Not a lot. He reminded me of a poor mans Scott Parker in that WBA game. Sure he can potentially turn into a top player, but until now I personally don't think he deserves the hype. He still has a long way to go in my eyes, however if he stays injury free there's no reason why he can't be one of our best players in the future. Good luck to him.

Archived