IGNORED

Who Next?

brad blit

Now before people start thinking "oh its another get rid of SOD thread" - its not, I am fully supportive of him and what he/the club are trying to achieve long term.

My question stems from the excellent 3rd part of 'The Cider Diaries' (thanks very much lads by the way - excellent interviews!) where SOD talks about the future of club and says that he hopes the club continue the new regime if/when he goes in the same manner. With this in mind im just thinking what other Managers/Head Coaches currently operate in a similar vein working throughout the club rather than just the first team and would be interested in joining City (either League 1 or Championship). We constantly hear about managers that get their team to play a passing style, or managers that are very passionate on the sidelines, but rarely about the coaches that build on everything within a club (ie Alex Ferguson) so what other examples like SOD are there within our reach?

I think managers careers go through extreme peaks & troughs at different times. Hopefully SOD will get the results to see him here for several years and if that's the case, it's quite likely that our next manager will be a natural progression with an internal appointment. Quite possibly of someone we are yet to even hear about. I think it's safe to say that big name managers are a thing of the past here.

This is an easy one - Paul Tisdale at Exeter City.

Very, very similar philosophy to SOD in terms of bringing through young players and playing a passing game. By and large he's done a very good job at Exeter on a limited budget and given additional resources at City he could be a success here in the future.

He would actually be my favourite (as in I think he would get the job) if the board do lose their nerve and sack SOD.

This is an easy one - Paul Tisdale at Exeter City.

Very, very similar philosophy to SOD in terms of bringing through young players and playing a passing game. By and large he's done a very good job at Exeter on a limited budget and given additional resources at City he could be a success here in the future.

He would actually be my favourite (as in I think he would get the job) if the board do lose their nerve and sack SOD.

Get your point, but if the board were to sack SOD (hoping they don't) would they feel a like for like replacement, albeit a younger version with different ideas, a good idea? Wouldn't they think that the model wasn't working and go for something completely different?

Agree about Tisdale, although get the feeling he lacks a bit of ambition. Can imagine he's incredibly happy at Exeter, it's a beautiful place to live / work, but if he really wanted to stretch himself then he needs to move on to a bigger club with more ambition. I'm sure he's had plenty of chances already

Get your point, but if the board were to sack SOD (hoping they don't) would they feel a like for like replacement, albeit a younger version with different ideas, a good idea? Wouldn't they think that the model wasn't working and go for something completely different?

Agree about Tisdale, although get the feeling he lacks a bit of ambition. Can imagine he's incredibly happy at Exeter, it's a beautiful place to live / work, but if he really wanted to stretch himself then he needs to move on to a bigger club with more ambition. I'm sure he's had plenty of chances already

Have you ever been to Exeter...?!

• Admin

Just because he is the Manager of Exeter doesn't mean that he lives there.

Guess when Danny Wilson was in charge he never thought much of Bristol?

Again, I hope that it all clicks for SO'D, but when (and it will happen one day) he does go, if the next person comes on board sooner rather than later it is going to have to be someone that buys into the now infamous five pillars.

Whether puts people off the job, or whether the lure of becoming manager of Bristol City is enough only time would tell

Must have been to different parts than the inbred shithole that I've visited several times!

Although in fairness, that is comparing it to Bristol.

If you were from Birmingham, Exeter would be some sort of utopia!

See, that's where we're lucky - can't be that many nicer city's around than Bristol

I liked Exeter though

I love my city and am a "prowed" Bristolian but i suggest you travel a bit Woodsy !

I'm not a Bristolian, so I can't be accused of being biased on this. I'm talking Britain here - I'm not comparing it to Madrid, Barcelona, Prague etc!

There are some real cesspits out there, Bristol isn't one of them. But that debate has been done a thousand times, lets not go there again

I'm sure that there are a few on here that have never left the confines of their own post code area, but have a very vocal opinion on most other places in the world!

The accuracy of this statement is disturbing.

Bristol is one of the better large cities in Britain, but there are some amazing places on this isle.

Makes me laugh when Middlesborough fans sung "Bristols a shithole I want to go home" yet city fans sung the same at Leeds for example which is a quality place!

See, that's where we're lucky - can't be that many nicer city's around than Bristol

I liked Exeter though

Agree with you Woodsy.

I've said on here before my daughter went to Exeter University so for a few years I went down there fairly regularly.

Ended up quite enamoured with the place, lots going for it and in many ways seemed like a smaller, quieter, and less developed version of Bristol to me - loads of parks and green spaces, full of good old fashioned pubs, cathedral city etc.

OK, no gorge, suspension bridge or Downs but then what other cities do have those assets? Exeter noticeably has far fewer traffic lights and parking problems and is less crowded than Bristol with a slower pace of life all round.

Can't think why anyone wouldn't like it myself.

Ended up quite enamoured with the place, lots going for it and in many ways seemed like a smaller, quieter, and less developed version of Bristol to me - loads of parks and green spaces, full of good old fashioned pubs, cathedral city etc.

They must not have discovered the wheel then?!

Bristol has a bag-load of potential but has not realised it and is little more than a picturesque backwater now. Bristolian I am, 'prowed' of Bristol I am not. Was once a forward thinking city but is now just full of hot air and broken promises. The council, and by proxy, the residents of Bristol are to blame. I moved out of the 'city walls' a few years ago and whilst I would love to go back, until it develops the facilities that the city deserves, I shall not consider it.

I'm a country boy, give me a field and a tree above any city - but Bristol isn't bad as they go

Instead of slagging the place off, why not think of 10 cities around the UK that you've been to that are worse, won't take long - and chill your boots ffs

I aint slagging off my town ,just saying that not everybody automatically thinks ,quite wrongly in my opinion , that Bristol is not God's own heaven.

Therefore it's not a case of "i've been offered a contract at BCFC ,Bristol's a wonderful city i really must go there".

I apologise to any person or monkey who has taken offense (or a gatepost come to that ! )

We have the best city to live in the UK according to a recent survey published today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10386993/Bristol-is-best-city-to-live-in-the-UK.html

Not bad reading that. Although it Bristol does (seemingly) feature 4th in life satisfaction, it is the growth in disposible income [what do you expect from Moneysupermarket] which seems to have pulled rank.

I think Bristol is a great city to live in,but with some people familiarity breeds contempt I'm afraid.

Possibly correct. My dissatisfaction with Bristol began brooding once I returned having lived elsewhere for a few years. When I first relocated it was always in my mind that that was a temporary move and I would absolutely get back to Bristol. I did come back but it was only when I returned and noticed how facilities in the city are extremely lacking compared to others, how slow-paced it is and how nothing really ever gets done in the city. Some of the green initiatives even as a Bristolian at heart make me think bumpkin...

It's a shame, but true I am afraid, the backward thinking of Bristol (ians) is unreal, the culture is laddish and 80's esq and yet are quick to condemn others as 'inbreds' etc, the irony.

Quick to condemn others as backwards thinking etc is ok.

Nice generalisation there.

Exeters best asset is it's location. It's s great location for outdoorsy people who want to get out the house and be active.

There is an eat all you can Chinese in the centre of Exeter that is just incredible. The food is lovely and it is six quid at all times. That price also includes a huge choice of deserts. I am glad I only visit Exeter from time to time or I would be the size of Gary Kenneth by now.

OK......................even with this 5 pillars crap we will never ever compete with the Man U's of this world, so stuff all the crap about long term

I dont care whos our manager or if we have one season only to get beaten back down to obscurity, Im getting older now and have had years of promises lets just get to the promised land and worry after.

OK......................even with this 5 pillars crap we will never ever compete with the Man U's of this world, so stuff all the crap about long term

I dont care whos our manager or if we have one season only to get beaten back down to obscurity, Im getting older now and have had years of promises lets just get to the promised land and worry after.

That's the kind of mentality which sees thousands of Cardiff 'fans' donning red shirts and waving red scarves in a big blue bowl every other week. I stand by what I said when I visiited legoland, 'i'd rather go down than sell our souls'

A long term strategy in football isn't even that long term anyway, we're talking 3/4 seasons tops until the job is fully complete imo,

Back on topic a manger who could carry on our 5 pillars strategy would be Clough, or maybe if he continues the way he has so far, even Lee Johnson.7

However far more likely is someone we haven't even heard of or are barely aware of yet.

Archived