IGNORED

Barbel Fishing

Rob k

I'm sure you know that barbel are bottom feeders so using a float in a waste of time. I've caught them using a paternoster ledger with a short leader and with both sweet corn and maggots. Personally I'm not one for pellets but have used cat food to pre bait a swim. Problem is that cat food attracts every other fish, especially chub.

Has to be Lacock. swims are small and narrow water is fast and highly oxygentated and there are numerous swims holding numbers of barbel big and small. In summer you can a pre bait swims with hemp meat corn and return an hour later to spot the fish feeding confidently on gravel banks. Simple ledger tactics will catch fish hair rigs for the specimens. Nearby melksham is also worth a go if you are hunting a specimen fish there are 10+ lb fish there but local knowledge is needed as the fish are spread out and need locating.

Has to be Lacock. swims are small and narrow water is fast and highly oxygentated and there are numerous swims holding numbers of barbel big and small. In summer you can a pre bait swims with hemp meat corn and return an hour later to spot the fish feeding confidently on gravel banks. Simple ledger tactics will catch fish hair rigs for the specimens. Nearby melksham is also worth a go if you are hunting a specimen fish there are 10+ lb fish there but local knowledge is needed as the fish are spread out and need locating.

Thanks very much for all the replys chaps, I think I will give Lacock a go, I've been piking there before, is the best place for barbel in the field opposite the cathedral type place?

Thanks very much for all the replys chaps, I think I will give Lacock a go, I've been piking there before, is the best place for barbel in the field opposite the cathedral type place?

Thats the abbey field there are also good swims a short drive away. Get in contact with locals maybe the tackle shops in chippenham and melksham.

Archived