IGNORED

Worst City Team Ever?

i hate you butler

No this team is better then last season but the tactics are wrong

One up front isn't working nether is playing narrow yet we stick to it

Genuine question

Do you have side in mind and a formation in mind for tuesday v Brentford

Not trying to catch you out by the way as i kind of agree we have the players to be at least a mid table team.

I equally have a feeling that SOD is likely to stick to his guns on the style, but could be persuaded to change the shape and formation.

Sod seemed quite taken by the bayern. Munich way

How could he fail to be, they are terrific

But as you have suggested we do, Bayern do get into wide positions when they get the ball, which is quite often by the way.

Later in his interview/ podcast this week SOD sort of accepted that he doesnt play with width.

I just dont see how you can be so in favour of a style of football and to use it as an example, and then fail to practice it in the true sense in your own team.

He basically referred to our wide men as pace without brains, i may have read to much into that, but thats how i would take it if i were

A winger at the club right now

Possession football without width as an option tends to lead to fruitless possession in the wrong areas as we have demonstrated week after week. We simply dont have the craft and abiloty to carve out defences through the middle in isolation.

So back to my question i suppose

Thoughts ?

even 81/82 and 82/83 we could win the odd game or two

this is the worst in my book considering the wages they don't deserve

No. as city then were amusingly bad. it was hopeless. so bad gates even dropped below 4000 one went below three. no comparison to the six games I have seen this season v that.

I think this team is worse than the one that sank to division 4. With that team, particularly when Terry Cooper was manager, there was HOPE. You could see how the team was going to slowly improve.

Cooper had a lot of cheap / free signings but he managed to get a silk purse out of a sows ear. With SoD we've got a sows ear from a silk purse. (Perhaps not quite a silk purse but the wage budget is still better than a lot of league one teams)

I think this team is worse than the one that sank to division 4. With that team, particularly when Terry Cooper was manager, there was HOPE. You could see how the team was going to slowly improve.

Cooper had a lot of cheap / free signings but he managed to get a silk purse out of a sows ear. With SoD we've got a sows ear from a silk purse. (Perhaps not quite a silk purse but the wage budget is still better than a lot of league one teams)

But Cooper wasn't manager when "we sank to division four" was he?

No again city had players like nyere and errington Kelly. City have never been lower or worse, even if they played at 100% many of the starting xi were not of league standard. By the time city hit division 4 you could count the fans city were taking away at chester City might not have had fifty. 3 - 4000 at home the ground was utterly dead at times.

You could see how the team was going to slowly improve hardly hard they were bottom of the fourth at their worst.

Nothing has come close to how bad that time was. the team was so poor it made football history. Only wolves have equalled it in a hundred years.

Terry Cooper wasn't in charge during City's "sinking period " but he did inherit an poor team that he transformed. One of City's managers during the slide down the divisions was Roy Hodgson. Perhaps this means that SoD might manage England in years to come !

No again city had players like nyere and errington Kelly. City have never been lower or worse, even if they played at 100% many of the starting xi were not of league standard. By the time city hit division 4 you could count the fans city were taking away at chester City might not have had fifty. 3 - 4000 at home the ground was utterly dead at times.

You could see how the team was going to slowly improve hardly hard they were bottom of the fourth at their worst.

Nothing has come close to how bad that time was. the team was so poor it made football history. Only wolves have equalled it in a hundred years.

I actually started watching them around this time. Obviously there was no Internet forums etc to gauge support or otherwise but I do remember a great spirit of togetherness, we were all in it together and players would drive to the matches in old bangers and therefore not so financially distant from the fans. Terry Cooper was a lovely man, and from what I remember the fans had a good relationship with him, he also played regularly which helped get the fans onside during these difficult times. Things are different now, SoD will never have that kind of relationship with fans, it's just not him.

Are we the worst ever City team, no. But we are lacking a leader on the pitch and have been for a while. I think this is a huge part of our slump. We have some great young talent who need some extra guidance during the match. Put this right and be will be on the right road.

and to win at liverpool

Indeed. The bloke, hated by many worked absolute miracles with that team when you consider the sum of its parts.

The team vs vs Liverpool wasn't too bad. Tge next season I remember sometimes watching a team with various non league players out on the pitch!

Maybe we can call on him again to teach these bunch how to defend. I think he still lives down at tockington.

Archived