IGNORED

Post Talking Point - Dropping Jet

EDoubleD

I've actually been thinking that JET is our problem over the last month or so.

He maybe the gamble that will backfire and bite SoD.

We all know he has class when 'he wants to turn it on'.

But lets face it... he's one of the laziest footballers I've ever seen.

In the same mold as Albert... we maybe relying too much on one player to 'turn it on'

He scores some great goals and has individual class...

But whenever he gets the ball... the game slows to a stand still. Defenders get back... and we are all watching to see whether he can turn on some magic... or not.

I actually think he makes the team look out of shape.... just my opinion...

Unfortunately we've got no one else who could do a job in his place imho.

If I were a team mate... I wouldn't be happy with his work rate... I'd be friggin livid tbh.

Time will tell...

I've actually been thinking that JET is our problem over the last month or so.

I'm a fan of his, but he was terrible yesterday - might as well of not been on the pitch. And when his one big chance did come he fluffed his lines by missing the target.

Baldock was similarily awful with his first touch typically letting him down every time.

SOD seems to of changed his mind after talking about needing a striker (in the Baldock mould) is now turning his attention to signing a defender.

By and large the defence was fine yesterday and was at Port Vale. I think it's the front two that are letting us down more currently. We were much better when Taylor came on and won headers. We still need another mobile striker though...

JET is a game changer and you have to take the rough with the smooth with him.

He isn't the reason why we aren't winning but he is a reason why we have some points on the board.

Not so long ago people on here and the Post were signing his praises and saying what a great deal we got in swapping him for Anderson - now the same people are knee jerking after a couple of indifferent performances from him, which is typical. 

As for shifting to the wing, thats exactly what McCarthy and others have done with no success at all. 

Hopefully, he'll remind everyone on Tuesday of exactly what he can do.

He is a game changer... when he feels like it.

I like to watch his talent... but I've never particularly liked this sort of player in a team.

He's been moved on from other Clubs, because he was a lazy bastard and teams lost their shape around him, and couldn't rely on a liability of not knowing what game you'll get out of him.

It's not a knee jerk reaction on my part... Just thought it was a huge gamble on SoD's part. Always have done.

It may work in the end...who knows... either way i'm backing him to make the right decisions.

Its the English way - he doesn't work hard enough etc.

But if he's banging them in or setting up others, as he had been doing consistently, then nobody questions his "lack of mobility" or " plays when he feels like it".

Knee jerking.

It's not knee jerking at all.

There is a reason he hasn't succeeded at other Clubs.

Yes he has done well for us on occasion. But surely most of us had in the back of our head, 'when are we going to see the real JET'?

It's not about the English way... but it is about working hard.

The great game changers in the world all still work hard for their team. JET can be a liability... in the same mold as Jacki was...

It's all good when they want to turn it on... but that's not good enough imho.

If a player like that is having a bad game, then you can at least make up for it, and work harder for your team.

If things aren't going JETs way, he seems to sulk and can't be bothered. That is not a team player imho.

I was never a fan of us relying on Albert as much as we did... but when his game wasn't on song he at least worked his bollox off to help the team.

I'd be tempted to go without wingers. Play a narrow 4312 and get Taylor up next to Baldock. We can use Taylor's work rate to cover Jet and also his interplay will bring Baldock and Jet into the game further up the pitch. Pack and Reid/Wynter can offer the protection for our full backs if need be.

I'd be tempted to go without wingers. Play a narrow 4312 and get Taylor up next to Baldock. We can use Taylor's work rate to cover Jet and also his interplay will bring Baldock and Jet into the game further up the pitch. Pack and Reid/Wynter can offer the protection for our full backs if need be.

We haven't played with 'wingers' all season... Even SoD said that in his latest podcast.

We do play narrow already... although Bryan will try to implement crosses from wide when needed.

Our lack of goals is our biggest problem lately, either through lack of opportunities or when we do the total inability to convert them.

Yes mistakes in the final minutes have costs us points in games, but you can't help but think we wouldn't / shouldn't have been in that situation if our attacking players were sharper.

JET is a luxury and one that if we were winning/drawing everything would be an exceptional player to add to the match day playing squad and told to just go out there and express him self !

Unfortunately  we are losing/drawing games and as such simply cant accommodate this type of player IMO

We need every player to know his job and where they should be on the pitch at all times be it in possession or not of the ball, with Jet wandering all over the pitch other players are concious they need to fill in etc and its simply not happening.

We also cant afford to have 1/3 of games where jet actually looks a world beater, again if we were winning/drawing then yes that would be ok but were not !

I would like to seem him drooped for a few games for 2 reasons [one] I think he may be getting a little large headed and presuming he is first on the team sheet everyweek, regardless of form [two] i thin a steady midfield will help our cause, one that knows exactly what's going on, and one that can build over a few games into a solid unit.

All my opinion as always of coarse ;)

Cheers

Mark

How would we score any goals without him in the team?

The balance is getting better but still not right. We are conceeding less (only 1 a game for the last 3) but have only scored 2.

Well as your stats show we arnt really scoring much with him are we ?

Cheers

Mark

A fair point but you need to score goals to even have a chance so take him out and we are pretty much beaten from the start at the moment (and yes I know that is what has happened all season!)

Im stuck between a hard place and a rock with this debate, I really do see both sides to it all, im just under the opinion right now that we need to change things a little.

Of coarse as you point out if we remove Jet all our goals may dry up .... Its a tough one for sure and not a decision i would like to me making that's for sure.

JET is a game changer and you have to take the rough with the smooth with him.

He isn't the reason why we aren't winning but he is a reason why we have some points on the board.

Not so long ago people on here and the Post were signing his praises and saying what a great deal we got in swapping him for Anderson - now the same people are knee jerking after a couple of indifferent performances from him, which is typical. 

As for shifting to the wing, thats exactly what McCarthy and others have done with no success at all. 

Hopefully, he'll remind everyone on Tuesday of exactly what he can do.

Well said. 

As for Spudski's comments about slowing the play down, that just isn't true. take the Swindon game for example, he was the best player on the pitch by some distance and was constantly making things happen and causing the Swindon defence problems. I wasn't there yesterday and it sounds as if he was shite, but he has done enough this season to warrant the odd shite game. 

JET is not the reason we haven't been winning games of football. 

I'd start Taylor on Tuesday night alongside Baldock with JET in behind them. Something like this:

............................Parish

Maloney.........Flint......Dunk........Shorey

.............................Pack

...........Wagstaff.................Bryan

.............................JET

.................Baldock.......Taylor

JET is a luxury and one that if we were winning/drawing everything would be an exceptional player to add to the match day playing squad and told to just go out there and express him self !

Unfortunately  we are losing/drawing games and as such simply cant accommodate this type of player IMO

Completely incorrect use of the word 'luxury' I would say.

Somebody who has either scored or directly created 13 of our 22 goals this season has to surely qualify as an essential player and someone we heavily rely on should we plan on winning a game ever again. He was dire yesterday, but no worse than Baldock in my eyes, and unlike Baldock he has enough credit in the bank that he should be excused one shocking performance. 

He is still the same player that he was when we signed him and was when he was universally loved at the start of the season. He still has the ability to do things that I would say nobody else in this division can, but he still will make frustratingly poor decisions and still has the capability to have an afternoon like yesterday when he would have looked better suited on the downs. As SO'D quite rightly states, you pick JET because of the things he can do rather than the things he cant'. Frankly the time to worry about whether we could carry his weaknesses was when we signed him. Now we have him we have to put up with his faults just as much as we all enjoy him slamming the ball into the top corner.

The year QPR won the Championship under Warnock a major reason was Taarabt. Yet in no way was he great every week and he has a much worse attitude than JET to putting in a shift when not in possession. QPR however had a defence that made sure that most weeks just one piece of magic from Taarabt was enough to claim all three points and had players all over the park that provided Taarabt with the platform to go and win the game. We do neither of things. As I said JET was dreadful yesterday, but we shouldn't be looking to replace the most talented player in our team (in the league?) just because of weaknesses in other areas of the pitch.

I would like to bring Taylor into the team on Tuesday as he enables us to retain possession much higher up the pitch, but it should not be JET making way. Like others I would think about altering the system slightly to get two strikers and JET onto the pitch, but SO'D has pretty much ruled our that ever happening, so the player that should make way for me is Baldock. Losing his superior goal threat to Taylor will seem suicidal to some and I'm not even sure that Taylor and JET would make a great partnership, but yesterday was one too many pointless performances from Baldock for me. It is actually a slight on the English game that he had made it so far with such a trampoline first touch.

It's not knee jerking at all.

There is a reason he hasn't succeeded at other Clubs.

Yes he has done well for us on occasion. But surely most of us had in the back of our head, 'when are we going to see the real JET'?

It's not about the English way... but it is about working hard.

The great game changers in the world all still work hard for their team. JET can be a liability... in the same mold as Jacki was...

It's all good when they want to turn it on... but that's not good enough imho.

If a player like that is having a bad game, then you can at least make up for it, and work harder for your team.

If things aren't going JETs way, he seems to sulk and can't be bothered. That is not a team player imho.

I was never a fan of us relying on Albert as much as we did... but when his game wasn't on song he at least worked his bollox off to help the team.

I'm with you on this. It was a massive gamble on SOD's part to sign a player who has blown hot and cold through his career. And then to make him so pivotal to the set-up of the team. I thought he was an interesting signing and one who could have an impact but not week in week out. I think the problem is one that's been done to death - the lack of a plan b.

Personally, I'd give jet a rest - also hoping that he could have an impact from the bench. Most of our better displays since Millen's caretaker spell (not many!) seem to have come playing 3 central defenders. I'd try that or at least have it as plan b.

It'll be interesting in a year or so to see what we all think of this summer's key signings: jet, pack, Flint and fielding. I think we need them all firing very soon to avoid a further struggle.

I'd start Taylor on Tuesday night alongside Baldock with JET in behind them. Something like this:

............................Parish

Maloney.........Flint......Dunk........Shorey

.............................Pack

...........Wagstaff.................Bryan

.............................JET

.................Baldock.......Taylor

Flint is suspended isn't he? Williams and Dunk probably at the back, unless Carey is available.

Now then, IMO, if we play 2 up top and JET we aregoing to need a solid 3 in midfield, and I reckon the 3 you've chosen would get torn apart. It would have to be Pack, Wynter and Elliott for me, to accomodate the 3 attacking players.

You see the player in a completely different way to me.

Can't be bothered ? Sulk ? Thats a bit puerile tbh and he wouldn't be a professional footballer if he had those attributes.

The reason he never succeeded at Ipswich (where he did at Doncaster) was that he was played out of position - out wide, which is where some want to see him played. I'd rather listen to what Wenger had to say about him than McCarthy as they are poles apart, with McCarthy still stuck in the good old get stuck in and run yer bollocks off method - the English way.

He has his strengths and his weaknesses, the same as 99.9% of players, but his strengths are far in excess of division three dross and we've seen that  already this season.

Even SoD said this week on the podcast that JET is a tall, lanky, lazy player and that managers have said it throughout his career and that even the player knows it. SoD has been badgering him about it every week.

Listen to the Podscast...

Definately time to play someone else up front with Baldock, they may have scored the goals but the partnership doesn't work, too often the gaps are too wide and the link play non existent.

From the home games i've seen it seems to be getting worse, JET must play, but in a hole behind the front two, with a solid base behind, O'Driscoll can surely see he needs to try something different now.

Now then, IMO, if we play 2 up top and JET we aregoing to need a solid 3 in midfield, and I reckon the 3 you've chosen would get torn apart. It would have to be Pack, Wynter and Elliott for me, to accomodate the 3 attacking players.

Totally agree, if we were playing that system it would have to be Wynter, Pack and Elliott that made up the 3 behind JET.

Although like I said, O'Driscoll pretty much ruled out playing JET and two strikers.

Flint is suspended isn't he? Williams and Dunk probably at the back, unless Carey is available.

Yeah I agree actually. Might be a bit soon to throw Wynter in though! I would still have Wagstaff in.

Pack, Wynter and Elliot are all similar players. Not the passing ability but sitting deep just infront of defence, I think Wagstaff gives us that urgency in midfield to press.

Isn't it generally the other end of the pitch we are having problems with? Personally I'm glad we have at least got a player that gets me of my seat in anticipation, than some headless chicken that puts in a 'shift'! For the most part, it's been individual defensive errors that have cost us points this season and JET who has gained us points. With these type of players you have to accept what they don't do and enjoy what they do do!

Isn't it generally the other end of the pitch we are having problems with? Personally I'm glad we have at least got a player that gets me of my seat in anticipation, than some headless chicken that puts in a 'shift'! For the most part, it's been individual defensive errors that have cost us points this season and JET who has gained us points. With these type of players you have to accept what they don't do and enjoy what they do do!

I agree with M Porter and Spudski that the trouble with JET is when he is not performing, you may as well send 10 men out. Unlike Albert he does very little to help the team outside the final third.

I wasn't at Crewe, but reports of his performance were so bad there is a case to argue that he should drop to the bench and come on as an impact sub v Brentford.

My preference would be to play him behind a front two however.

Archived