IGNORED

Bryan And Wagstaff

Welcome To The Jungle

I can't help but feel that Bryan and Wagstaff are on the wrong flanks. The idea of being on the same flank as your stronger foot makes perfect sense, cross with the stronger foot. But as our only target is Baldock, it is easily dealt with by defenders. JET can't head the ball and as most of his goals have come from him picking up the pieces on the edge of the area, so I don't think I want him to 'get in the box'.

However with Bryan and Wagstaff playing on the opposite sides, they can come inside and either shoot or slip Baldock through with a pass. Overlapping fullbacks maintain width and as long as we have a sitting midfielder (Wynter or Elliott), we would still have 4 players back, or even 5 if both central midfielders sit.

This would lead to lots of players in the middle, but the advantage is that they would be mostly red. Now we are by no means Chelsea, but they play a very narrow game, and can make it work against the best defences in the country (and even in Europe). Lots of small, 1 touch passing in and around the 'D' = goals. Most of the best teams in the world play their wide men on the opposite flank to make it narrower. 

How much room did Baines have against Poland? Welbeck brought the full back narrower giving Baines all that room so we can still cross, so don't worry about the game becoming so narrow and congested that we get crowded out, as there are always the full backs. 

We actually have the squad to pull this off and as poor as we may be at the moment, this is how we'll push on. 

Thoughts?

I can't help but feel that Bryan and Wagstaff are on the wrong flanks. The idea of being on the same flank as your stronger foot makes perfect sense, cross with the stronger foot. But as our only target is Baldock, it is easily dealt with by defenders. JET can't head the ball and as most of his goals have come from him picking up the pieces on the edge of the area, so I don't think I want him to 'get in the box'.

However with Bryan and Wagstaff playing on the opposite sides, they can come inside and either shoot or slip Baldock through with a pass. Overlapping fullbacks maintain width and as long as we have a sitting midfielder (Wynter or Elliott), we would still have 4 players back, or even 5 if both central midfielders sit.

This would lead to lots of players in the middle, but the advantage is that they would be mostly red. Now we are by no means Chelsea, but they play a very narrow game, and can make it work against the best defences in the country (and even in Europe). Lots of small, 1 touch passing in and around the 'D' = goals. Most of the best teams in the world play their wide men on the opposite flank to make it narrower. 

How much room did Baines have against Poland? Welbeck brought the full back narrower giving Baines all that room so we can still cross, so don't worry about the game becoming so narrow and congested that we get crowded out, as there are always the full backs. 

We actually have the squad to pull this off and as poor as we may be at the moment, this is how we'll push on. 

Thoughts?

I would give Bryan a rest. For me he hasn't looked the same since the Rovers game (granted i only watch the home games)

I must admit that it's a surprise that Wagstaff and Bryan don't swap sides during a game. It can be a useful tactic and gives the opposition defenders something else to think about.

Maybe tomorrow night?

Sproule and McIndoe use to swap all the time

Still think Wagstaff's best game for us was away at Swindon in a midfield 3.

However, I tend to agree with the OP. Although the analogy that it works for Chelsea, England and I'll add Real Madrid into the mix doesn't really apply as they have world class players who can adapt to this; we quite frankly don't.

Neither play with anywhere near enough width to be honest. Wagstaff plays so narrow at times. But yes agree would like to see them both swap at times

didn't Wagstaff play as a left sided Central midfielder for Charlton?

SoD doen't use winger he uses wide men whic his a different role tbh

I know that's my point. I think sometimes we need to play with wingers. I understand SOD needs to stick to his principles and beliefs but I think we are often far too narrow and don't stretch teams enough.

I think Wagstaff mainly played out wide for Charlton?

I think Waggy went wide left, or left'ish, 2nd half v Colchester ?  With three league goals he's probably our best midfielder to date.

I think this could work. Baldock doesn't mind coming to the flank, not JET, that means waggy and joe cutting in would give us more options in the box.

Would be tempted to play maclaughlin for joe as well. Looked decent when ive seen him, but wonder if his chance was at Wycombe.

Archived