IGNORED

If Ft Was At 85 Mins

westonred

under GJ we tended to be the ones scoring late - that team lacked technical ability, but it was fit and motivated

fitness, motivation (and by extension, concentration) are the main factors in late goals - it's the job of a coaching staff to ensure that both are in full supply

under GJ we tended to be the ones scoring late - that team lacked technical ability, but it was fit and motivated

fitness, motivation (and by extension, concentration) are the main factors in late goals - it's the job of a coaching staff to ensure that both are in full supply

I think it may have been the season he went but we started conceding so many late goals. Fontaines late equaliser against Sheffield Utd at AG springs to mind as Darius Henderson won it for then just seconds after

IF only that was relevant...

Try this instead.

IF you can keep your head when all about you 
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools: 

If you can make one heap of all your winnings 
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

I don't think it's down to lack of fitness, which often is the case when a team concedes late goals. I reckon it's sheer nerves brought on by our long run without a victory. Let's hope we sort that tonight.

I tend to think this is more the case with us !

I don't think it's down to lack of fitness, which often is the case when a team concedes late goals. I reckon it's sheer nerves brought on by our long run without a victory. Let's hope we sort that tonight.

have to say I agree with this, there has been a few times where we have looked good for some points where we have been good in possession and then as soon as it gets to the last 5-10 minutes instead of keeping the ball panick and just launch it

IF only that was relevant...

Try this instead.

IF you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or being hated, don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;

If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

If you can keep your head while those all around are losing theirs,

You probably have n't grasped the seriousness of the situation.

Fact is as has been stated many times before, we always end the game in our own half, holding on to what we have rather than attacking. I don't want to tell SO'D what to do but it seems obvious to me that if we sit back, then we invite the opposition to attack us and put us under pressure, and that's when the panic sets in.

It's been going on for years. That season under Johnson we let in so many in the 90th minute it was crazy. Totally agree with Marmite you have to keep attacking which is what England did last Tues and got the reward which resulted in a stress free last 5-10 mins.

It's been going on for years. That season under Johnson we let in so many in the 90th minute it was crazy. Totally agree with Marmite you have to keep attacking which is what England did last Tues and got the reward which resulted in a stress free last 5-10 mins.

I think the reason we let so many in at the end of the games under Johnson was because our players had busted a gut chasing shadows for much of the time and we we're exhausted at the end of the game (plus Johnson told them to defend once we got our noses in front)

Under O'Driscoll he's trying to get us to keep the ball and get the opposition running around instead. We need to get away from this attitude of rushing the play.

Although admittedly I do like teams that press high and hard.

I think the reason we let so many in at the end of the games under Johnson was because our players had busted a gut chasing shadows for much of the time and we we're exhausted at the end of the game (plus Johnson told them to defend once we got our noses in front)

Under O'Driscoll he's trying to get us to keep the ball and get the opposition running around instead. We need to get away from this attitude of rushing the play.

Although admittedly I do like teams that press high and hard.

Southampton are doing this very well. 2nd best defence in Europe.

Its a good point about fitness, as I have thought at times we do not look as fit as other sides, the other problem of having to hold on for the last 5 - 10 minutes is lack of goals and not finishing off teams when we have had the chance.

We are always going to concede goals and they often come from mistakes, but at the moment we are not scoring enough to win games, Baldock as the lone ranger does not work and as much as I love watching JET and seemed critical to our play earlier, now seems less effective and a luxury player, but can wins games in an instant (I guess the problem that SOD has) who to play up front 

I think it may have been the season he went but we started conceding so many late goals. Fontaines late equaliser against Sheffield Utd at AG springs to mind as Darius Henderson won it for then just seconds after

I remember at least 4 at AG that season (i'm sure there were more). 

The one you're referring too I believe was actually Saborio, we then charged 8 players forward (I can only assume going for the win??) with James Wilson being warmed up to be brought on for his league debut for City? when Henderson was found with a lump forward with only the odd 30 yards of space to finish off his hatrick!

Also springing to mind are Simon Church's equaliser to make it 1-1?? (possibly a winner for 2-1?) Was then sent off, second yellow for celebrating with the crowd (his first whilst as a sub and 'abusing' the linesman)

George Boyd with a flicked header for P'boro for 1-1 in the last minute.

S****horpe last minute equaliser (can't remember the scorer)..

'That night' in Plymouth after fighting back to 2 - 2 from 2 - 0 down last minute winner for them. - Maerhoffer 'the cat's' league debut and had a perfectly good goal ruled out for offside at 0 - 0.

What might have been eh...

Archived