IGNORED

Transition: An Excuse For Sod And His Tactics / Transfers

Jesus

It's all linked together. You can't separate any aspect of the transition as you put it from another just like a chain reaction.

ODriscolls methods and tactics are part of the long term plan. Surely you can see that?

I can't see past being bottom of league one without a win in 20 to be honest Robbored. If that is the long term plan then we're doomed. 

Just out of interest, in your opinion, when are his methods and tactics going to start working? Honest question.

Yep, have to agree with that.

I can't recall SOD accepting any responsibility at all for our league position. It's all "fans have to be patient" etc. SOD is a master of spin, the worst run in the clubs history, and still a lot of fans have blind faith in the "long-term plan". Quite astonishing really.

With the players we have, there is NO excuse for 20 league games without a win IMO.

Under ANY circumstances, there is no excuse for 20 league games without a win. The situation down the Gate is completely unacceptable and embarrassing. The board, the manager, the players must all take responsibility. 

If we'd won 2 games this season in the league people would be a bit more forgiving but we've won 0 and alot of people can not get past that,

Bradford Wolves and Peterborough can be forgiven as opening day and two better teams then us but draws with Colechester Shrewsbury Gillingham and Wycombe can not and have been rightly questioned,

We have been conciding late goals constantly this season and last season so training methods and consentration are rightly questioned,

We are bottom of the league with a squad that should be 10th minimum,

Maybe we should look to bring in a sports physcolagist or an actual manager instead of a Head Coach?

Things can not be aloud to continue and shouldn't continue if results don't pick up tonight and I'm talking talking about a draw we must win and we must go on a run now,

When was the last time we recorded back to back wins? when was the last time we won 3 in a row? this is not good enough and no amount of spin the club/board head coach or fans with their head burried in the sand can change this,

• Admin

To me I would have thought the transition "on the pitch" should have taken place in the time we had at the end of last season after SO'D took over.

Not into the second half of October.

We are not the only team going through this kind of off the pitch change, many other teams have younger sides than us.

All we want is some light in the tunnel but everything on and off the pitch at the moment is nothing to get optimistic about

• Admin

It's like pulling teeth on here sometimes. Some posters just can't see past the poor results and fail to grasp what the entire club is going through.

No gain without pain is well used cliche but so true at the moment.

But how long do we have to go through?

Financially we have been a mess for years

The side on the pitch SHOULD be gone enough to have won a game already this season

I'm all up for giving people time, but a quarter of the season has gone, we are going to have to go on a hell of a run to get to safety as we stand now, any further backward steps on the pitch will be complete disaster

It's all linked together. You can't separate any aspect of the transition as you put it from another just like a chain reaction.

ODriscolls methods and tactics are part of the long term plan. Surely you can see that?

Well obviously a lot of us can't judging by some of the replies. I was optimistic when he arrived but having gone down with a whimper last season, almost as though relegation were part of the master plan, and now heading in the same direction this time, after 20 games without a win surely his time is up.

This quote from Keynes sums it up for me. From an economist, admittedly, but we ourselves also have a financial wizard at the helm.

''But this long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead. Economists set themselves too easy, too useless a task if in tempestuous seasons they can only tell us that when the storm is long past the ocean is flat again.''

It's like pulling teeth on here sometimes. Some posters just can't see past the poor results and fail to grasp what the entire club is going through.

Maybe, but even crap teams usually get 1 win 10 games in.  transition or not, players are players, they are nothing to do with the overall strategy, they come and go as the strategy unfolds.  Maybe the playing style is.  But the results, nah, don't buy it.

Now I personally think we have to stick with SOD, but to keep going on about zero wins because we are in transition, is a big load of old bollocks.  We are on zero points because of poor choices on the football pitch.

I think everyone understands that changes have to be made for a more sustainable future - but SOD's record is just not acceptable.

The way he talks you would think we have had to sack our entire first team and replace them with youth players who have never played league football before.

But the reality is that we have a squad of players that should be performing to a level that sees us well clear of the relegation zone. They are not performing, and for that the buck has to stop with the manager.

SOD is not one of the 5 pillars.

I think everyone understands that changes have to be made for a more sustainable future - but SOD's record is just not acceptable.

The way he talks you would think we have had to sack our entire first team and replace them with youth players who have never played league football before.

But the reality is that we have a squad of players that should be performing to a level that sees us well clear of the relegation zone. They are not performing, and for that the buck has to stop with the manager.

SOD is not one of the 5 pillars.

That's true  SO'D is not one of the pillars, if the board got rid of him then the new manager would implement the plan, youth etc,etc. I would say though they are 'performing' to a level that sees us clear of relegation. However, how long do you give it before wanting to see the results and not the 'process', as SO'D would say. For what it's worth, my opinion is to stick with him, I've been wrong before, mind!

Quite a few obvious transitions in recent times.

SO'D taking the reins from Del was the first transitional period, with the absolute necessity for SO'D to do better than Del had, and do his utmost to create the momentum to keep City up. The problem with this period was there was no urgency, pressure, or seeming necessity for SO'D to do so.

The 2nd transition, upon ignominious relegation, was from the Championship to League 1, because SO'D didn't do better than Del - who himself had already taken on the task of the 'get rid of the deadwood' bit of the underlying plan. It was a truly calamitous 2nd half of the season under SO'D, the sort of gutless debacle the most ardent City hating Rovers fans would have wished upon us.

The 3rd transition is the one we're in now, adapting to life in the lower leagues, with the diminishing hope of stabilising and strengthening the whole club for the future.

The total effect of these transitions so far has seen City go from being a perennially struggling Championship team - but still one which should have been looking to fight like hell to survive with the right manager and strategy in place - to a club that has seemingly accepted a long stint in the lower echelons.

Failure with this 3rd transitional stage would then move inexorably and quite naturally on to the 4th - relegation to the basement- in which case the chances of moving to a positive transitional phase would be so far in the distance a vast swathe of disillusioned fans simply won't be interested anymore.

No City are not solely going through FFP but it was well documented last season that this would effect Bristol City more than any other club in the Championship and it would only get worse before it got better.

Bristol city have several players in the squad with championship experience

Baldock, jet,Shorey, Elliott, wagstaff,Cunningham, Maloney,harewood,Taylor. Why on earth would ffp have any influence on how they perform on match day is completely beyond me, is it down to ffp that we conceded five to a team that don't even have their own ground? Or only had one shot on target at Crewe? Couldn't beat Shrewsbury at home?

As with the transition excuse, complete and utter bollocks.

Bristol city have several players in the squad with championship experience

Baldock, jet,Shorey, Elliott, wagstaff,Cunningham, Maloney,harewood,Taylor. Why on earth would ffp have any influence on how they perform on match day is completely beyond me, is it down to ffp that we conceded five to a team that don't even have their own ground? Or only had one shot on target at Crewe? Couldn't beat Shrewsbury at home?

As with the transition excuse, complete and utter bollocks.

Your aggression in your post highlights what is wrong with people on this forum..

Its not bollocks at all, prime example would be the Brit Assambalonga who City wanted but couldn't afford him and Posh paid the 1M necessary to get him. We cant compete with teams financially so we cant get in the quality players needed and have to make do with good players but castoffs, frees and cheap buys.

Just to add so they have Championship experience... what does that prove? That they weren't good enough for the Championship but its the best we can do until this club gets onto an even keel financially.

Your aggression in your post highlights what is wrong with people on this forum..

Its not bollocks at all, prime example would be the Brit Assambalonga who City wanted but couldn't afford him and Posh paid the 1M necessary to get him. We cant compete with teams financially so we cant get in the quality players needed and have to make do with good players but castoffs, frees and cheap buys.

Just to add so they have Championship experience... what does that prove? That they weren't good enough for the Championship but its the best we can do until this club gets onto an even keel financially.

Hang on fella it's not aggression it's frustration, at the start of the season our squad was rightly talked up as being good enough to have a tilt at top six, posh and wolves were also not good enough for the championship but are the polar opposite of us at this moment, granted posh spent money but only what they had brought in by selling their best striker.

Are you now saying non of our players are good enough for league 1? If so we truly are ****ed.

I repeat transitions and ffp are an excuse for poor coaching tactical mistakes and naive boardroom decisions in short utter bollocks.

O'Driscoll's methods and tactics = can't win a game to save our lives  = bottom of the division.

Is this part of the long term plan?

Oh dear!

However, as Baldrick would say -  it's a "cunning plan" .... but I don't think its working.

Hang on fella it's not aggression it's frustration, at the start of the season our squad was rightly talked up as being good enough to have a tilt at top six, posh and wolves were also not good enough for the championship but are the polar opposite of us at this moment, granted posh spent money but only what they had brought in by selling their best striker.

Are you now saying non of our players are good enough for league 1? If so we truly are ****ed.

I repeat transitions and ffp are an excuse for poor coaching tactical mistakes and naive boardroom decisions in short utter bollocks.

Maybe that's because Wolves are still receiving parachute payments since their relegation from the PL.. 12M every year for 4 years so this would be the second season so its hardly comparable.. Citys underlying problems is selling good players like Albert for pittance while Posh sold Gaye for 8M around about and again its been well known that we have had to slash the wage budget. The rest of the deadwood who are taking up valuable budget cant be sold because no one wants them so we cant bring in any players now until their contracts run down or are mutually terminated.

And you are twisting my words, I said not good enough for the Championship not League 1 that's why they are plying their trade in League 1.

I will agree that more of the problems at this club are down to the shambles of a board who couldn't run a **** up in a brewery to be perfectly frank and they have proved that now for 5 years, maybe a lot longer than that but what as fans can we do? I would say nothing as in some respects you could vote with your feet and let the club die a slow agonising death or you put with up with the **** and ride it out.

For me its the latter option.

There is nothing original, or even thought-provoking, about the OP. Just the same old regurgitated ranting contained in many other threads on OTIB at present. The Man Utd analogy is completely fatuous.

We have a head coach who is universally respected amongst his peers for his approach to the game and expertise - and yet there are still many people on here who want, in October, to get rid and bring in a replacement like Colin, Cotteril (even Benny ffs!). Until SOD starts sending out the same players and just hoping they will do better than in the previous match - without any attempt to affect the playing style of the team and results - he deserves the chance to continue with implementing his plans.  

Maybe that's because Wolves are still receiving parachute payments since their relegation from the PL.. 12M every year for 4 years so this would be the second season so its hardly comparable.. Citys underlying problems is selling good players like Albert for pittance while Posh sold Gaye for 8M around about and again its been well known that we have had to slash the wage budget. The rest of the deadwood who are taking up valuable budget cant be sold because no one wants them so we cant bring in any players now until their contracts run down or are mutually terminated.

And you are twisting my words, I said not good enough for the Championship not League 1 that's why they are plying their trade in League 1.

I will agree that more of the problems at this club are down to the shambles of a board who couldn't run a **** up in a brewery to be perfectly frank and they have proved that now for 5 years, maybe a lot longer than that but what as fans can we do? I would say nothing as in some respects you could vote with your feet and let the club die a slow agonising death or you put with up with the **** and ride it out.

As far as I know wolves have made very little change to the squad that weren't good enough for the championship but seem to have adapted ok.

Posh have brought in good money but operate on a smaller budget due to less income through gate receipts etc again seem to have took it in their stride.

My point in my original reply is ffp has absolutely no bearing on how a supposedly good squad of players and yes I do believe having higher league experience should count, are seemingly unable to win a football match or even keep a clean sheet, are they taking to the field worrying about the effects of the club finances and ultimately playing shocking back passes and giving away stupid penalties? I don't think so.

As far as I know wolves have made very little change to the squad that weren't good enough for the championship but seem to have adapted ok.

Posh have brought in good money but operate on a smaller budget due to less income through gate receipts etc again seem to have took it in their stride.

My point in my original reply is ffp has absolutely no bearing on how a supposedly good squad of players and yes I do believe having higher league experience should count, are seemingly unable to win a football match or even keep a clean sheet, are they taking to the field worrying about the effects of the club finances and ultimately playing shocking back passes and giving away stupid penalties? I don't think so.

Look at my points above regarding Wolves and Posh or have you chose to ignore that?

Things happen in games not just to City where the silly mistakes are being made and of course they are not worrying about FFP but they do worry about their own careers and maybe know more behind the scenes then what we do or give them credit for. So maybe the clubs dire finances could easily cast doubt in the back of their mind just like a normal regular guy like me or you worrying about working and our own future for a company who maybe colliding into a wall... it does happen but then who's to know why a player makes a silly backpass, you, I or no one else knows except that particular individual.

Look at my points above regarding Wolves and Posh or have you chose to ignore that?

Things happen in games not just to City where the silly mistakes are being made and of course they are not worrying about FFP but they do worry about their own careers and maybe know more behind the scenes then what we do or give them credit for. So maybe the clubs dire finances could easily cast doubt in the back of their mind just like a normal regular guy like me or you worrying about working and our own future for a company who maybe colliding into a wall... it does happen but then who's to know why a player makes a silly backpass, you, I or no one else knows except that particular individual.

I think it's you that's ignoring points about posh and wolves but ok I'll indulge you by exempting them, now what about the rest of this division that we currently prop up? Orient? Shrewsbury Colchester all having to abide by ffp with massively smaller budgets?what about coventrys transition from -10 to above us after 11 games?

As for the rest of your post well I'm afraid that sounds like more attempts to excuse the mediocre crap the club have offered so far.

Anyway they have a chance tonight and over the next four or five games to

Make a positive statement of intent I hope they do or otherwise get ready to

Prepare your excuses for the next unfortunate who takes on this car crash of a football club

Those players being Marvin Elliot who SoD wanted to keep, Fontaine who is on loan at Yeovil so sombody wanted him, Kilkenny who is a player SoD likes as he said as much, Pearson who is on the long term injury list so we can't get shot of and Baldock who is the best striker at the club and our second top goal scorer with 6 in 11 games,

I think it's you that's ignoring points about posh and wolves but ok I'll indulge you by exempting them, now what about the rest of this division that we currently prop up? Orient? Shrewsbury Colchester all having to abide by ffp with massively smaller budgets?what about coventrys transition from -10 to above us after 11 games?

As for the rest of your post well I'm afraid that sounds like more attempts to excuse the mediocre crap the club have offered so far.

Anyway they have a chance tonight and over the next four or five games to

Make a positive statement of intent I hope they do or otherwise get ready to

Prepare your excuses for the next unfortunate who takes on this car crash of a football club

Orient are a prime example of stability, not chopping and changing like City seem keen to constantly do. In some respects City should take their example rather than the 'quick fix' solution. And maybe the problems like I have already said are deep rooted that its rotten to the very core like this club at the moment because of constant bad decisions at the top.

I don't need 'excuses' as I tell it as how I see it myself as you yourself do, but it would be nice for a positive statement of intent from the team and ram it down the critics throats.. But then I seem to have a lot more patience regarding the situation regardless.

There is nothing original, or even thought-provoking, about the OP. Just the same old regurgitated ranting contained in many other threads on OTIB at present. The Man Utd analogy is completely fatuous.

We have a head coach who is universally respected amongst his peers for his approach to the game and expertise - and yet there are still many people on here who want, in October, to get rid and bring in a replacement like Colin, Cotteril (even Benny ffs!). Until SOD starts sending out the same players and just hoping they will do better than in the previous match - without any attempt to affect the playing style of the team and results - he deserves the chance to continue with implementing his plans.  

First of all, I would hardly call my OP ranting. Secondly, we haven't just given him until October have we.

Thirdly - "Until SOD starts sending out the same players and just hoping they will do better than in the previous match" - eh?

Archived