IGNORED

Its A New Defence Out There

dezgimed

Nothing wrong with the defence. A deflected shot and a sucker punch when we were going forward for an equaliser.

It was the attack (total lack of) that was the problem :(

Nothing wrong with the defence...ok then....check the table and goals conceded column...or name the clean sheets we've had this season...

Its all very well making excuses, it wasnt a sucker punch more like JET bottling a defensive header.

Nothing wrong with the defence. A deflected shot and a sucker punch when we were going forward for an equaliser.

didn't there second come from a corner? or at least a cross from deep to an un-marked man near the post,

Perhaps 'nothing' is a little strong but there is very little wrong with the way we are currently defending. Aizoon is right, our problem lies with us having no cutting edge. The chances and the goals have dried up. We were comfortable and dominated possession for the first 45 last night but once again had nothing to show for it. Baldock was isolated once again and needs help up front. Either Harewood or Taylor must partner him on Saturday if we are to see the best of our captain and have any chance of having a sniff at goal.     

I am with you,i think now our problem us in attack we don't look like scoring .

The defence seems to be tighter.

What a conundrum ,never dull for us is it ?

Perhaps 'nothing' is a little strong but there is very little wrong with the way we are currently defending. Aizoon is right, our problem lies with us having no cutting edge. The chances and the goals have dried up. We were comfortable and dominated possession for the first 45 last night but once again had nothing to show for it. Baldock was isolated once again and needs help up front. Either Harewood or Taylor must partner him on Saturday if we are to see the best of our captain and have any chance of having a sniff at goal.     

Think you're being kind.

Still conceded 2 goals, and lost 1-0 away at Crewe, who either side of playing us lost 3-0, 3-0 and 3-0 at home!

1 was a pen, 1 was a cruel deflection and the other, hands up, was poor defending. So 1 'poor' bit of defending in 180 minutes.   

You give away penalties when you foul in the box = shit team defending

If you shoot, you can score, why did we let their guy have so much time to shoot from edge of the box?

If you shoot, you can score, why did we let their guy have so much time to shoot from edge of the box?

Indeed, and a completely needless penalty at that, corner of the box going away from goal.  As per usual, a lot of bad decision makers in the team.  SO'D always goes on about playing or buying players who think for themselves and make the right decisions, I think from a lot of the individual mistakes we have seen this season, SO'D and Burt may not have done their home work on this part of the player scouting!

Shit team defending for the pen ? No, an individual mistake from a midfielder who was our best player on the day. And their guy was closed down last night which is why he chose to shoot from distance. Without the deflection Parish would have collected his tame shot with ease. The defence is not the problem, we have simply stopped creating proper chances.  

Shit team defending for the pen ? No, an individual mistake from a midfielder who was our best player on the day. And their guy was closed down last night which is why he chose to shoot from distance. Without the deflection Parish would have collected his tame shot with ease. The defence is not the problem, we have simply stopped creating proper chances.  

We conceded 2 goals last night.

1 against Crewe.

2 against Wycombe.

1 against Port Vale.

6 in the last 4. Fine, defence is awesome.

And most of those goals have come after the opposition has realised that they can throw as many players forward as they like, because we are never going to threaten their goal. Two shots on target in two games? And the defence is the problem?

Did Bobby Reid not try and dribble his way out of a tight situation in our defensive third and loose the ball prior to their first goal?

We conceded 2 goals last night.

1 against Crewe.

2 against Wycombe.

1 against Port Vale.

6 in the last 4. Fine, defence is awesome.

I'm looking at the games over the full 90 minutes. We defended really well as a team against Crewe, Vale and Brentford but a return of 1 goal from those 3 games is always going to come back and haunt you. I say again, our problem is scoring goals and not defending them. When we are on top of teams we need to make it count and that will ease the pressure on our defence and make any goals that we do concede less expensive points wise.    

Did Bobby Reid not try and dribble his way out of a tight situation in our defensive third and loose the ball prior to their first goal?

He did.

The second came from a corner that clearly was not, but I thought JET then let his man go, a basic error.

I may be in the minority but I thought Williams was excellent last night, one we should definitely persevere with.

He did.

The second came from a corner that clearly was not, but I thought JET then let his man go, a basic error.

I may be in the minority but I thought Williams was excellent last night, one we should definitely persevere with.

Agree with all your points but was trying to answer the one raised by the previous poster of why we gave their guy so much room to shoot for their first goal.

Right. First serious defensive error after 79 minutes. What had the attack been doing in that time?

They were back helping the defence. Well Baldock was, several times. But I do understand what you are saying, we created nothing going forward, no movement, no drive. And I expect Harewood was almost embarrassed to score the goal that he did.

How long can that be an excuse from SOD?

He had all summer to work with the players and bring new ones in. They train together for hours every single day, one assumes.

Played 12 games so far this season, how long do they need to settle?

He wasn't using it as an excuse. He was referring to the fact that Dunk was playing... then said how impressed he was with him, as it's not easy for loan players to just come in and click straight away.

Totally taken out of context from the interview... you should work for the BP ;)

He did.

It may seem strange as he has been part of the defence and team that he has been, but I have been very impressed by Williams in the last few games. I think he could be a proper player.

Indeed. The defence was only overwhelmed after half time when Rossler realised that our attack presented zero threat and that they could attack unhindered. Pity SOD didn't realise that.

I think he did. He thought 'they are attacking us cos we aren't attacking them, but that's ok we'll defend'. He shoved everyone into the box, ball hit a packed area and took a deflection. And as they say the rest is history.

I think he did. He thought 'they are attacking us cos we aren't attacking them, but that's ok we'll defend'. He shoved everyone into the box, ball hit a packed area and took a deflection. And as they say the rest is history.

It was ever thus. Remember how Celtic beat Inter to win the European Cup?

He wasn't using it as an excuse. He was referring to the fact that Dunk was playing... then said how impressed he was with him, as it's not easy for loan players to just come in and click straight away.

Totally taken out of context from the interview... you should work for the BP ;)

Hmmm not how I remember it, he was rolling off several reasons why we didn't win.

Archived