IGNORED

Bobby Houghton (And Roy Hodgson!)

where's the joy

I think it's a bit strong to call them a comedy duo. They inherited a situation even worse than the current shambles with the club - i.e. Players on long contracts the club couldn't afford that led to the Ashton Gate Eight situation.

There was even less money in real terms to bring in new players so relegation from division 1to division 2 was inevitable.

Houghton wasn't good, he should have at least made us competitive in the Championship but we went straight through and I think we're the lowest scorers in the country that season.

We still managed to draw 0-0 with the now mighty Chelsea during that old Div 2 relegation season. I still vividly remember a group of Chelsea lads storming across an almost empty upper Dolman Stand toward the East End.

talking of the worst managers ever made me think of this comedy duo

these two took us right the way down the league to the basement,

before terry cooper ruined it by making us play football again.

i can cope with the disappointment, because thats all we get these days. its the hope that upsets me

Your headline is all wrong chum.. as others have said on the thread we were a totally busted flush after relegation from the top flight. In fact its a very good analogy with now in that while that was unintentionally self inflicted the financial straight jacket we are now in is largely voluntary.... pretty much the same result is unravelling and just goes to prove that whom ever is in charge will have an equally very difficult job to turn the tanker around; to repeat another threader... both Houghton and Hodgson have gone on to prove themselves time and again since.

We still managed to draw 0-0 with the now mighty Chelsea during that old Div 2 relegation season. I still vividly remember a group of Chelsea lads storming across an almost empty upper Dolman Stand toward the East End.

I remember that,they were the first team to try and get to the EE from the Dolman, it went right off.........well sort of!! there just happened to be an 8ft high fence between us in the EE and Chelsea on the pitch

I remember that,they were the first team to try and get to the EE from the Dolman, it went right off.........well sort of!! there just happened to be an 8ft high fence between us in the EE and Chelsea on the pitch

It also looked like there was a professional boxer over toward the East End of the Dolman seats who banged out a few Chelsea lads with ease. Chelsea were also in big trouble financially at that time and not many remember that fact.

It also looked like there was a professional boxer over toward the East End of the Dolman seats who banged out a few Chelsea lads with ease. Chelsea were also in big trouble financially at that time and not many remember that fact.

I can clearly remember that Chelsea mob doing nazi salutes as they came down the Dolman steps ( as they were at the time) they even had a couple black ( is it ok to say that or should it be coloured in 2013 ?) lads who were giving the same salute.

That has always stayed with me, and I still can't get my head around it 30 years later!

Weren't they nearly bankrupted by upgrading Stamford Bridge?

I can clearly remember that Chelsea mob doing nazi salutes as they came down the Dolman steps ( as they were at the time) they even had a couple black ( is it ok to say that or should it be coloured in 2013 ?) lads who were giving the same salute.

That has always stayed with me, and I still can't get my head around it 30 years later!

No, black is now ok and coloured is offensive. Do keep up!

Weren't they nearly bankrupted by upgrading Stamford Bridge?

Indeed, it was the cost of building the then huge 3 tier East Stand they had built in the mid 70s. They had to sell their best players to pay for it and they lost their top flight status circa 1979 as a result. Our very own Colin Lee and the superb striker Kerry Dixon helped to pull them back from the brink of third tier football in the 80s.

A bit 'politically incorrect' to write this these days but I reckon it was the hooligans and their particular brand of support that kept both City and Chelsea alive during the gloom years of the early 80s. As we all probably know, Ken Bates installed electric fences at Stamford Bridge to keep them off the pitch. :P

Archived