IGNORED

The Sacking Of Del

Big Red Rich

With what's happened since, if you had a Delorean would you go back and stop the sacking of Del?

We're in twice as bad a situation, Del had already started to cut costs and with a bit more stability, could we have been in a much better position than we are now?

Despite the signings of the likes of Foster and Pearson, I think had I have known how bad it would have got I would have stuck rather than twisted....

What have we actually gained by having SOD over Del?

Player Power and all that cost not only Del but KM their jobs. I felt sorry for DM and he probably did need an experienced head to give him the guidance like a DoF but some of the personal abuse he received was just scandalous, he was out of his depth but that was unwarranted.

Just thinking back to KMs last game as well against Blackpool away and losing 5-0.. the players were an absolute disgrace as it seemed they wanted rid and they should've been sacked there and then. Same applies to the players who performed garbage against the likes of Wolves, Charlton and Leicester at home.. regardless of tactics, there was zero effort and looked they couldn't care less. But was this due to the fact that DM had their number and was going to get rid so they saved themselves for the time being? get him out before he had the chance to root out deadwood?

No doubt others would disagree but I would say yes.

As the board had already apparently accepted relegation, there was little point in a change of manager.

We would almost certainly still have gone down with Del but it's impossible to imagine we would have been relegated with so little spirit and fight.

In his last interview, minutes before he was sacked, Del said some experienced players had let him down and from then on they would not be picked but replaced by younger players.

Unfortunately this core of serial non tryers got yet another chance under SO'D and with that our relegation was not only assured, but the disgraceful manner of it utterly predictable.

Would we be in such a terrible predicament right now if Del had stayed? I think not.

SOD is at least sticking to his principle, Del was choping & changing his team and formation every game. He had no idea what to do next, as a result we were getting hammered. Let's not forget this was a bloke who thought Jody Morris could do a job in the championship.

I've posted on here previously that I still rate him as a manager (as I do SO'D). The job we had last season was extremely difficult for anyone, let alone someone inexperienced in England. However, Del made good signings and started the season off well. However, he did struggle to control the 7-game losing streak around this time last year and due to his inexperience the pressure got to him. Due to fan pressure the board would have had to risk a hell of a lot had they kept Del after the Leicester game. I think there's a big chance we'd have done much better had he not gone, it was his squad after all. I wouldn't have minded if he did stay (and I believe the board felt the same way), but the majority of fans weren't happy and his position came untenable, something I fear looks to be repeating itself with Sean.

We hung on to Del for far too long, we had been floundering for months and endless personnel and formation changes hardly helped. If you want hindsight, maybe Robins would have been a far better bet. Sadly SOD has not worked out and maybe time to accept that and make a change. Normally I would prefer not to keep changing manager, but 21 games without a win is too much.

I liked and respected Del in his time here, but he promised so much when he came and delivered so little. Everything he said was right however about the club, but I don't think he was the right man to turn it around and he was more than enough time to do so. Unfortunately we replaced him with someone worse and whilst I feel we still would have gone down with Del , I don't think we would be bottom of league one with him in charge now. But that doesn't mean I wish we would have kept him in charge, I wish he just brought in someone a bit more passionate and up for the job than O'Driscoll.

As the board had already apparently accepted relegation, there was little point in a change of manager.

We would almost certainly still have gone down with Del but it's impossible to imagine we would have been relegated with so little spirit and fight.

In his last interview, minutes before he was sacked, Del said some experienced players had let him down and from then on they would not be picked but replaced by younger players.

Unfortunately this core of serial non tryers got yet another chance under SO'D and with that our relegation was not only assured, but the disgraceful manner of it utterly predictable.

Would we be in such a terrible predicament right now if Del had stayed? I think not.

Bang on the money fellar

Bobby Ried and Wes Burns entered the fray that day (one of them at least on debut)  and were the best players on the pitch by the end of the game.

unfortunately for Wes.... SOD doesn't like wingers.... "pace without brains" is how he describes them

how encouraging !!!

As you have said if you Listen again to Del's interview after the Leicester Game, its very very revealing about how his team selection could have been more radical and how he almost started with Bobby and Wes, such was his anger at the efforts of the regulars in the games leading up to that fateful day.

We don't want that creeping in again this season otherwise what little chance we have of redemption will evaporate very quickly.

I think Coventry showed that the difference between the best and the worst teams in this league based on league position is much smaller than most might imagine.

its not all over, but the players have to turn this around...

I liked Del too, but he needed help. He needed a Keith Burt or similar with contacts. I know he had his mate (Docherty?), but he needed more help with the English game rather than the Scottish one.

Yup the players did let him down. Ultimately the manager pays the price. I wonder how different it would be if every player automatically had their contracts reviewed when a manager left?

I liked Del too, but he needed help. He needed a Keith Burt or similar with contacts. I know he had his mate (Docherty?), but he needed more help with the English game rather than the Scottish one.

Yup the players did let him down. Ultimately the manager pays the price. I wonder how different it would be if every player automatically had their contracts reviewed when a manager left?

Apparently Del was a bit of a yapper in the dressing room as well, GJ style - dished out rollicking's and I think the message stopped getting through.

He was also obsessed with scouting/analyzing the opposition and his minimum 4 changes to the line-up every week and multiple formation changes just wasn't working.

That said, he is still young and was relatively inexperienced in his time here. He did well with the media and seems to be having little trouble in getting wins at Aberdeen.

I doubt we'd be any better off if he was still here, but couldn't be any worse I suppose!

Quite a few would have been shown the door after that Plymouth game under GJ so wouldn't have had the chance to stop performing again when it suited them under ensuing managers.

Big mistake by the club not to identify and isolate the troublemakers post GJ. They should have gone at the first opportunity as well.

The difference is that DM had no plan that clearly wasn't working and

SOD has a plan that clearly isn't working.

I'd stick with SOD over DM. On the plus points I actually like the look of virtually all of SODs signings too.

Fair comment above too about player power and Millen, DM.

Quite a few would have been shown the door after that Plymouth game under GJ so wouldn't have had the chance to stop performing again when it suited them under ensuing managers.

Big mistake by the club not to identify and isolate the troublemakers post GJ. They should have gone at the first opportunity as well.

I totally agree. We will never know exactly what happened but there has been lots written close to the true I expect. Without repeating anything I would surmise what ever one party did was a lot worse than the other party, ie his actions saved the skin of another by being worse. The mess was mopped up with as little fuss as possible.

Bang on the money fellar

Bobby Ried and Wes Burns entered the fray that day (one of them at least on debut)  and were the best players on the pitch by the end of the game.

unfortunately for Wes.... SOD doesn't like wingers.... "pace without brains" is how he describes them

how encouraging !!!

As you have said if you Listen again to Del's interview after the Leicester Game, its very very revealing about how his team selection could have been more radical and how he almost started with Bobby and Wes, such was his anger at the efforts of the regulars in the games leading up to that fateful day.

Playing the likes of Bobby and Wes regularly after Leicester would have changed our season.

Not that such a policy alone would have kept us up of course, but the fans could see which players were not giving their all and it was seeing them retain their places week after week which knocked the stuffing out of the fans as much as anything.

It's very difficult to support a team containing underperforming players you can't stand - especially when you have good reason to dislike them due to history seemingly inevitably repeating itself.

Del would have had the backing of the fans to make a statement by sidelining these odious players, something he had clearly decided to do after Leicester, and it's just a shame he didn't do it a week or two earlier.

With the board seemingly not expecting City to stay up I reckon Del may have lasted the season had he been more decisive earlier - the fans needed an unequivocal sign that things were going to improve, relegation or not, and humilating these serial underperformers by publicly admonishing them and removing them permanently from the first team squad would have gone down very well indeed. 

I believe the DM had lost the dressing room AND the fans.

There is no way back form that.

I believe that SOD still has the dressing room, has lost the fans.

The board are weak-minded they will bow to fan pressure.

DM should have been sacked before Xmas last year, if SOD had another 4-6 weeks we MIGHT have survived.

Times machines are greatly over rated IMO.

I'd never heard him say that. Is that true? Explains a lot about the way we play if that is correct.

He has alluded to it on many occasions and his formations/team selections make that abundantly obvious to everyone.

most recently in his 3 part interview he had a rather lower intensity question and answer session submitted from the general public

one question alluded to the formation and how well it was working

his response was to immediately make the leaf of judgement, that the question was a criticism of his no wingers approach.

his justification for that if you listen....... is that its no good having width and running down blind alleys... and "pace but no brains"

to me he was making it clear why he adopted the stance with Adomah and his general view of winger !!!

its not rocket fuel science this one... he doesn't trust that type of player

and in certain circumstances he may be correct to adopt that position, but clearly at home and 1 down we surely need to consider it as an option

Baldock is isolated and Jet and him isnt working currently.

Archived