IGNORED

A Long Long Way From "just Got Back"

The Kaiser

Right I've got the passenger seat for the journey back first leg (with the satnav saying 276 miles to Downend) so here's my thoughts.

Great contingent from us. If that end we had held 300 then we must have had about 275 or so?

We were treated to a terrible first half and it was the same old, same old. Stepping off players, allowing Carlisle to bully us and just booting it long to Taylor but not a great deal of follow up.

The goal? Wagstaff lost out high up the pitch on the far end. We played silly buggers in the middle and again a decent cross field ball was put out for a corner.

First time that the Carlisle crowd got loud and really got behind them and so we then defended appallingly at the worst time.

Good corner, in fact very good corner as I was level with it and saw it all really well.

Hung high on the edge of the 6 yard box and JET lost his man and he thundered a header into the net - complete free header from a corner!!! Classic City defending.

Then we had a 10 min spell right under it. We were quiet, Carlisle were loud and 2-3 chances flashed across Parrish's goal. What you'd say proper away day stuff.

The wind was picking up too which was a good sign as it was in the last 10mins so it meant we had it second half.

The half ended with JET trying a freekick high and wide and Carlisle ended 1-0 up, there was a feeling in the away end that we'd seen it all before and we again were going to lose.

The toilets (the hub of half time activity) resounded to what you guys would have all heard before.

"Trouble is we don't look like scoring"

"He ain't got no clue going forward do he?"

"Bloody rubbish: we are too fking soft"

Second half.

Was this the same game? The same City????

Didn't feel like it.

It goes to show what confidence does to both a player and a team.

Within 5 mins City were 2-1 up and JET had 2.

Header and then a 1-1.

Surreal was the word.

City then had the wind, Carlisle were backing off, we were playing it to feet and JET was finding time and space.

All of a sudden Carlisle went from a comfortable day in the office to worrying about JET, putting it out anywhere, arguing who was picking up the runners etc.

The third was superb. We were broke quick and fast. From a left back position, we played it to Marv who played a superb forward cross pitch attacking ball over the head of the Carlisle left back, Wagstaff chested it turned and thundered a volley cross the goal and into the top right corner.

Almost exactly in the position I saw Bradley Orr do the same back in 2007!!!

His celebration to us was worth a mention. With a sliding sideways dive! Before being mobbed by City players.

Yet we all still didn't feel comfortable at 3-1.

And we were proved right.

Carlisle chucked the kitchen sink at us up the far end and it paid off. A high long ball wasn't cleared by Williams, Marv couldn't chase it down quick enough and the Carlisle man on the edge of the box hit it first time left footed through varying players passed an unsighted Parrish in the bottom left hand corner.

Kavanagh was off the bench. Carlisle went 3-1-3-3 formation and we defended deeper. Two corners to Carlisle and you could feel the tension up our end as we watched unfold up the other end..,

Then Carlisles formation change was their undoing. Shorey found JET who took advantage of the one man less at the back right, Taylor pulled a man in the centre and JET took it calmly firing it under the body of the keeper into the far left corner in the bottom corner.

City then rode a few chances but at 2-4 it was won. Harewood replaced JET to a City ovation and Carlisle started leaving with chants of "How sh*f must you be, we're winning a game"

On the final whistle every City player came over to us to receive applause and cheers.

Smiling faces, big cheers and hugging.

Bristol City had ended its win drought as far away from Bristol as possible in front of 300 of us. Would have been nice if the 10,000 could have seen it but I think we made enough noise for all of you.

As the song went at the end "City are back, City are back".

I'll leave this post glancing at the approaching road sign for Barrow.....

Right I've got the passenger seat for the journey back first leg (with the satnav saying 276 miles to Downend) so here's my thoughts.

Great contingent from us. If that end we had held 300 then we must have had about 275 or so?

We were treated to a terrible first half and it was the same old, same old. Stepping off players, allowing Carlisle to bully us and just booting it long to Taylor but not a great deal of follow up.

The goal? Wagstaff lost out high up the pitch on the far end. We played silly buggers in the middle and again a decent cross field ball was put out for a corner.

First time that the Carlisle crowd got loud and really got behind them and so we then defended appallingly at the worst time.

Good corner, in fact very good corner as I was level with it and saw it all really well.

Hung high on the edge of the 6 yard box and JET lost his man and he thundered a header into the net - complete free header from a corner!!! Classic City defending.

Then we had a 10 min spell right under it. We were quiet, Carlisle were loud and 2-3 chances flashed across Parrish's goal. What you'd say proper away day stuff.

The wind was picking up too which was a good sign as it was in the last 10mins so it meant we had it second half.

The half ended with JET trying a freekick high and wide and Carlisle ended 1-0 up, there was a feeling in the away end that we'd seen it all before and we again were going to lose.

The toilets (the hub of half time activity) resounded to what you guys would have all heard before.

Second half.

Didn't feel like it.

Header and then a 1-1.

Surreal was the word.

City then had the wind, Carlisle were backing off, we were playing it to feet and JET was finding time and space.

All of a sudden Carlisle went from a comfortable day in the office to worrying about JET, putting it out anywhere, arguing who was picking up the runners etc.

The third was superb. We were broke quick and fast. From a left back position, we played it to Marv who played a superb forward cross pitch attacking ball over the head of the Carlisle left back, Wagstaff chested it turned and thundered a volley cross the goal and into the top right corner.

His celebration to us was worth a mention. With a sliding sideways dive! Before being mobbed by City players.

Carlisle chucked the kitchen sink at us up the far end and it paid off. A high long ball wasn't cleared by Williams, Marv couldn't chase it down quick enough and the Carlisle man on the edge of the box hit it first time left footed through varying players passed an unsighted Parrish in the bottom left hand corner.

Kavanagh was off the bench. Carlisle went 3-1-3-3 formation and we defended deeper. Two corners to Carlisle and you could feel the tension up our end as we watched unfold up the other end..,

Then Carlisles formation change was their undoing. Shorey found JET who took advantage of the one man less at the back right, Taylor pulled a man in the centre and JET took it calmly firing it under the body of the keeper into the far left corner in the bottom corner.

City then rode a few chances but at 2-4 it was won. Harewood replaced JET to a City ovation and Carlisle started leaving with chants of "How sh*f must you be, we're winning a game"

On the final whistle every City player came over to us to receive applause and cheers.

Bristol City had ended its win drought as far away from Bristol as possible in front of 300 of us. Would have been nice if the 10,000 could have seen it but I think we made enough noise for all of you.

Good read. Safe journey home buddy.

Second half.

Didn't feel like it.

Header and then a 1-1.

Surreal was the word.

Fking mint post, brought tear to my eye. Well done to you and the other 363 and a safe journey back ! 

Second half.

Didn't feel like it.

Header and then a 1-1.

Surreal was the word.

Are you angling for a match report job at a local 'news'paper?! Cos you'd never get it, Kaiser! What a superb report, containing all the bits we want to know (esp the half-time toilet-team-talk) and none of the stuff we can live without. More of a Natch report than a match report, and all hail you for that, as well as for going such a long way.

I, too, remember that Bradley Orr goal in '07, ending a flowing promotion-looking move, I think? The game turned when McCombe scored (again, i think) just before h-t that day and it seems JET's mercurial performance turned today's game in our favour just after h-t.

Nice to do it to that 'orrible b*st*rd Kavanagh, too, he having played (well, unfortunately) for two of the three 'orriblest clubs there are.

Excellent report, Kaiser, take it steady back to Downend.

You Reds!

Thanks for the plaudits!!! :)

Actually on BBC Radio Cumbria Kavanagh was massively complimentary about us.

I'll quote "I'm not disappointed with the lads because they put it in today and that's all I ask. Look Bristol City are a very good side and when you've got a guy like Jay Emmanuel-Thomas playing for you then you're going to be a handful for anyone.

I thought we did ok first half but stepped off second and we can't do that against good team.

I think they'll go on and win a fair few now I just wish it'd be after us. The league position is not reflective of how good they are"

Let's hope he's right.

Second half.

Didn't feel like it.

Header and then a 1-1.

Surreal was the word.

Must quote whole post to reply...

Glass you guys got to see a win... Let's hope it's the start of a prolonged winning run.

I know (at least think ) i'm not going mad, but on the radio it said over 500 nearer 600, though he did query it, however many it was you deserved to see a win. Been there a couple of times and it's a bit of a trek. You're just up the road from me safe journey and wave as you go past. 

Eco - Yes mate you are dead right.

It was Joe Bryan.

Apologies. I'll tender my resignation as match reporter.

Most entertaining report I've read for yonks. Was Bobby Reid as good as match commentary made out today ?

Bobby played well. When we are playing well and worrying sides going forward he is a handful.

He's going to develop into a very good player.

I would say though that he still was getting bullied off the ball first half.

But he wasn't alone. We stepped off as a whole team first half!

If I had to pick a player aside from Jet I'd say Marv.

Didn't stop running all day and put some superb tackles in the middle.

Did JET say Reid was a rat ? Seems kinda fitting the way he scurries around midfield nibbling at players. He always looks to run with the ball, move the game forward, and make good passes... For me Reid has been a great success story this season, with hopefully a great career ahead of him.... Just need him to start some compound lifts a few times week

Did JET say Reid was a rat ? Seems kinda fitting the way he scurries around midfield nibbling at players. He always looks to run with the ball, move the game forward, and make good passes... For me Reid has been a great success story this season, with hopefully a great career ahead of him.... Just need him to start some compound lifts a few times week

Sounds more like a hedgehog to me ;)

I AM just back!

Great review Kaiser. I would add Maloney's assist for the equaliser, just awesome. Chased a lost cause ball towards the corner flag and pinged a great ball onto JETs head.

Near the end, a chant went up of "one, Sean O'Driscoll, there's only one Sean O'Drscoll" :laugh: and then "we are unbeatable, we are unbeatable".

Totally awesome day

A couple of things Kaiser.

RB said it was Marv., not Jet, who lost his man for the Carlisle goal, and Jet, not Marv. who played the superb pass for Wagstaff's goal.

Not saying they're right but you'd have thought they'd have a good view.

So can you pin point exactly what we did today that we haven't been doing until now, or was it just one of those days when chances just went in?

Pemberton thought we've played much better without winning.

Sounds like - from the radio - we were fairly poor first half but those 2 quick goals filled the team with confidence.

Archived